vacuum-less CJ5. any ideas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > vacuum-less CJ5. any ideas?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
Txjason1
1976 CJ5 

vacuum-less CJ5. any ideas?

1976 Jeep CJ5 with a 1980 258 IL6.
just bought a brand new Carter BBD to replace the old one. (was leaking and all jacdked up 30+ years no rebuild)
also have a HEI destrib.
never been able to get the Vacuum advance to work (hook up vac and it dies)
only has vacuum from PVC and EGR to manifold vacuum.
No NLVR no Dual CTO.
purge canister is not even hooked up.
If JeepHammer or someione could help me on this I would be very appreciative.
I commute to and from Base everyday in my old 5'er and I am going through a tank full of gass a week and only 12.5 to 15 miles driven a day.
the NLVR are kinda expensive and CTO as well but if this is the problem I will gladly purchase as well as any check valves and such I need.
Also the electric wire that runs to thge "choke" or whatever on the side of the carb.....is that just connected to a "hot" wire or what? does it go to a soleinoid? or just a wire that is 12+ volts during KO?
right now its wired to the hot wire to the HEI coil. and I know it has voltage but doubt if anything is happening in the solid state compnents.....its 30+ and never seen the choke move a centimeter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
awaiting your posts.

Keep Calm and Jeep On.
SSG Jason Robinson
"stuck in NOVA"
1976 CJ5
1977 CJ7
1998 Grand Grocery Getter

We are a import family!
Txjason1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Txjason1
1976 CJ5 

help?
We are a import family!
Unread 03-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
CSP

What exactly is the question regardiing vacuum? You gave a lot of info without any real question relating to it.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Txjason1
1976 CJ5 

I need a vac diagram, or a way to know if my vac advance problem is the lack of NLVR and CTO.
what vac delays do i need and maybe a picture or pictures of someones setup with a carter BBD and vacuum setup without smog pump.
some garage must have mangled my crap up. only vacuum i have is PVC to carb, and EGR to carb/intake. Vacuum to charcoal cannister is not even hooked up, and that float bowl vent is open. I know this isnt right and I know it attests to my horrible fuel consumption.
Thanks.
Jason
We are a import family!
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

On the contrary, I found the less vacuum lines I had open with the BBD, the better it ran with better mileage. Before I swapped it out, I had one advance line running to the distributor. That's it. The charcoal canister went out the window, as did the EGR set up, I have no brake booster so that was capped, and the biggest improvement I found was plugging the PCV port. I know this system isn't the most environmentally friendly, but there's no emissions laws where I live that require any of those vacuum systems. And honestly, these things are so old those emissions systems wouldn't make much difference. I doubt your poor advance, or your lack of other assorted vacuum systems, is causing poor mileage.

What port is your distributor advance hooked up to? And do you have any open ports on the carb? Try capping them first. And check for any sort of vacuum leak below the butterflies, like the gasket between the spacer and the manifold

-->350 time. '95 block SBC, stroked to 383, dremeled heads and big 'ol intake, maybe a Holley 750 CFM, not sure yet

--->"Safety? Buy a Volvo. Never buy a CJ, or a Chrysler Jeep knock off, for safety, fuel mileage, reliability, handling, ride, comfort, aerodynamics, quietness, convience, stability, low maintenance cost, performance, or ease of use. The only reason to buy a CJ is because you are absolutely, incurably nuts." -OldTexas
Jeepkid1995 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

rpm should increase

so when you apply vac to the distributor it dies?. i would start with the distributor/timing and get that squared away first. when you apply vac to the distributor the timing advances and rpm should increase. pull the cap and apply vac to the distributor advance, make sure the mag pu base plate moves as it should.if your driving around at 8 degrees advance and relying on the centrifigal advance soley it wont be effective,you need vac advance! google "jeep adventures under the hood" and get ideas/info on what vac components you want /need for whats left of your original equip. does your carter BBD have a stepper motor?. im still relatively new to jeep CJ's but IMO you might as well forget about any significant improvement in MPG's from this vehicle. 12 to 15 is the norm. dont think that vac is affecting your mpg's unless you have a stepper motor and emission computer and o2 sensor, add a vac leak to this system and the carb will attempt to run "full rich" constantly. Total nightmare.
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Rpm only increases when you hook manifold vacuum to the dizzy.
Ported vacuum does not start until off idle.
My BBD does not produce ported vacuum till close to 2k rpm.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
Txjason1
1976 CJ5 

the HEI distributor I bought new has two notches in the base where you can change the clock on it.
(the cap can move 90degrees out of phase so to speak)
I already timed it and i am sitting around 10 degrees BTDC.
I get fuel ping at hard accell (if you call a 3 speed 258 hard acceleration! LOL)
anyway I digress.....
all components are new in the dist.
first time i started it ran like a top....went to parts store and bought a suitable length of vac hose hooked it up and backfired bad and died.
ever since no matter what port I put it on (carb or intake) same thing.
I even swapped the vac advance from my CJ7 to the CJ5 and same issue.
do I have the cap clocked wrong?
anyone else have this kind of dist with teh dual notches so the cap can be clocked differently?>
I was told by a buddy of mine that it may have to do with the difference in v8/I6 with HEI?
made no sense to me cause a V8 has 8 plug posts and a 6 only.......6
also told by a different friend that maybe it jumped timing.
however Comma.....if that was the case it would run so smooth.
it runs great other than fuel ping (lack of high rpm advance)
and has great power.
fuel economy leave a ton to be desired. not to mention at 1500-2300 rpm you need goggles to drive her and you smell like a NASCAR driver when you get out from the fumes of the unburned fuel.
thanks again for the help.
We are a import family!
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Txjason1
1976 CJ5 

[QUOTE=thompsoj22;15065798]im still relatively new to jeep CJ's but IMO you might as well forget about any significant improvement in MPG's from this vehicle. 12 to 15 is the norm. dont think that vac is affecting your mpg's QUOTE]

no stepper, (thank God)
but 12-15 would be awesome I am getting 6 or less!
15 gallons 12 miles a day, refill every 5-6 days
yeah she is SUCKIN'
I definately need that vac advance!
thanks again googling time now.
We are a import family!
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
ironbyron1
1977 CJ5 

Morris 4x4 has a free mantainence manual link at the bottom of every page on their website. They also have variuos diagrams available up towards the top. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.