Vacuum leak?? Now what?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Vacuum leak?? Now what??

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-18-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
dblock16

Vacuum leak?? Now what??

With the help of this board I think the loud loud whistle noise Im experiencing is some kind of vacuum leak. I have no idea what to do about it though. I realy need to solve this problem, it makes driving my jeep miserable. Should I take it to a mechanic?
Thanks
DOug

dblock16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
ttrem
1986 CJ7 

I would suggest looking at the air hose coming from your PVC to the carb, then just doing a check with the engine running. ( pleases stay away from the fan ) I think most of the vac lines are going to be near your brake reservoir, so you could take a spray bottle and shoot a mist of water on the lines and see if you can see any bubbling. If you do then you found the leak. After that all you need to do is go to the autoparts store and tell em you need some vacuum hose.

If you cannt find it that way, then perhaps someone can suggest something else.
Unread 01-18-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Actually, with a vacuum leak, you won't see any bubbling.

use some carb cleaner, and listen for a change in RPM's.

if it's a big leak, you may be able to track it down by sound. try taking a piece of tubing, put one end to your ear, and move the other around, and listen for the whistle.

this may help you narrow down search area.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
ttrem
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joonhoss71
Actually, with a vacuum leak, you won't see any bubbling.

use some carb cleaner, and listen for a change in RPM's.

if it's a big leak, you may be able to track it down by sound. try taking a piece of tubing, put one end to your ear, and move the other around, and listen for the whistle.

this may help you narrow down search area.

Hoss
err maybe I was was remembering someones description to finding another problem. SOrry to the OP, after actually thinking it through the leak would be sucking so the water would get sucked in, thus not bubbling. This is gonig to drive me crazy trying to remeber what I was told to do that for.
Unread 01-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrem
This is going to drive me crazy trying to remeber what I was told to do that for.
leaks in a tire...

Hoss

Unread 01-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
biblicone

or exhaust leaks
biblicone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

^^ true

also, if you were to manage to get water in through a vacuum leak, it would cause then engine to smoke, (much like using seafoam) for a bit, while it burned out the carbon.

Hoss

Unread 01-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #8
ttrem
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biblicone
or exhaust leaks

that was it.
Unread 01-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #9
danlanphear
1983 CJ7 

I have occasionally had problems with cheaper vacuum hoses collapsing under vacuum pressure and creating a squealing sound from inside. It's sort of like the sound you get when you deflate a balloon and the air makes the end of the balloon whistle like a reed.

If you sort of bend the hoses around a bit, you may find one that is sucked shut inside, but opens up again when the engine is off.

Just replace it with a better quality hose, and make sure it's not touching anything real hot.

$0.02
danlanphear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2007, 07:06 PM   #10
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

when do you get this noise? Driving? Idle? 1/2 throttle? Can you make it come and go with the gas pedal while driving?
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2007, 07:16 PM   #11
dblock16

Ive posted about this noise before and everyone started giving feedback and info on vacuum leaks but thats all over my head.

The niose is very loud, happens sometimes when idling, and sometimes when I let off the gas and pull up to a red light. If i punch the gas in nuetral sometimes I can get it to stop.

It sounds like it is coming from the back end of the engine, but I can't be sure.

So any suggestions?
Thanks
Doug
Unread 01-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #12
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

does it get louder or go away if you press the brakes?Thats if you have power brakes..

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Unread 01-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #13
dblock16

The brakes nor clutch seem to have no effect on the noise?????
Unread 01-18-2007, 09:23 PM   #14
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

after its warmed up.Pull the filter off and wile running cup your hand over the top of the carb..not completely closing the venturies off but close,say1/2 inch..see if the idle raises or wants to die..thats a easy way to tell if its indeed a vacume leak..

Unread 01-18-2007, 09:48 PM   #15
dblock16

Scrambled, thanks I will try that tommorow, Im replacing my power steering pump.
THanks
DOug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.