vacuum leak??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > vacuum leak???

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 07-22-2004, 06:16 AM   #1
MudMonster

vacuum leak???

ok we'll start with the facts, theres a whistling sound coming from the engine bay, it goes away when i unplug the vacuum advance on the dist. I assume this is a leak i just cant find it, any advice on this? I dont know jack about the vacuum system so can i just unplug it cause it drives me nuts, how important is the vacuum advance?

btw i leave on a road trip friday night, so itd be nice to fix this b4 that

[COLOR=red][B][SIZE=3]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #78[/SIZE] [/B] [/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR] [COLOR=white]AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]JEEP[/COLOR] OWNERS OF AMERICA CLUB MEMBER #3[/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Red[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Neck [/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Jeep[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Club[/COLOR][COLOR=White]Member#27[/COLOR][/B]Fire Engine Red '85 CJ-7, Howell FI-258, T-176, D300, 9", Warn Internal Hubs, Wagoneer front springs, RE Wrangler's in the rear, 33" TrXus', HEI conversion, Taurus fan, no emissions junk, and some 150w daylighters
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2004, 07:31 AM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

The vacuum advance on CJ's advances the timing depending on the temperature of the motor. When cold the advance get it's vacuum from the manifold and when warm gets it from a ported vacuum source.

Try this trick... get a propane torch, turn the gas on and move the end around your motor while it's running. If you hit a vacuum leak, the engine RPM's will spike from pulling in propane and you've found your leak.
Unread 07-22-2004, 02:59 PM   #3
jode
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Propane never worked for me for some reason, but if the leak is already audible, stick a piece of 1/8" to 1/2" hose in your ear and move the other end of it slowly around the engine compartment. You should be able to find the leak VERY easily in this manner.
jode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2004, 03:07 PM   #4
MudMonster

yeah propane didnt work, i even took the advnce hose off and let it suck on the propane and it didnt work

[COLOR=red][B][SIZE=3]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #78[/SIZE] [/B] [/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR] [COLOR=white]AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]JEEP[/COLOR] OWNERS OF AMERICA CLUB MEMBER #3[/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Red[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Neck [/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Jeep[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Club[/COLOR][COLOR=White]Member#27[/COLOR][/B]Fire Engine Red '85 CJ-7, Howell FI-258, T-176, D300, 9", Warn Internal Hubs, Wagoneer front springs, RE Wrangler's in the rear, 33" TrXus', HEI conversion, Taurus fan, no emissions junk, and some 150w daylighters
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2004, 11:03 PM   #5
Jeepbeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMonster
yeah propane didnt work, i even took the advnce hose off and let it suck on the propane and it didnt work
lol....
you have to turn on the can of propane first ..FULL open ok.
sheesh..
it will not blow up..jadams is right...its the only quick way
to find that leak.
OR...you can take a needle nose pliar, and pinch off the hose AT the point it plugs into the male receiver .
the hose being female...and the receiver the hose slides onto...the male..
if this does not work...then you arn't looking close enough.
Disabeling the vaccume advance will assuradly cause poor
acceleration and horrible consequenses to plugs foweling
at some point in y our trip.
Take the time to look closer to the hose conditions.
cracked or spongy hoses can collapse and shut off needed
mechanical workings...ie: choke full open control, and
cause your vehicle to bog upon acceleration.

check behind the carb..there may be one male appiture some hose leads to...that may be your culprit...so look closer.
Jeepbeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.