vacuum hoses / air lines - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > vacuum hoses / air lines

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Mtbizango
1978 CJ7 

vacuum hoses / air lines

My apologies, as I've read through thousands of posts and I know some of my question is redundant. I bought a 6 cylinder 79 CJ7 a few months back. She sputters when I decelerate, backfires when I shift between gears, has a ton of hesitation at highway speeds, and stinks like exhaust inside the cab.

When I bought the CJ, every hose was either cut, had a golf tee in it, etc. I still drive it everyday, but need to get it fixed.

In reading through my Chilton manual, as well as the posts on this Forum, I can only figure out 1/2 of the set-up I need to be running with my hoses. I have diagrams I can't quite follow (or where not all the parts are labelled), and I'm stuck!

Can someone help by looking at the labelled pics and let me know:

A connects C
B connects with a 't' to F & H
Etc, etc

I am not aware of any modifications, and I assume it's pretty stock. I believe it has lived it's whole life in PA, which, based on reading other threads, may have an impact on the emission set-up.

distributor.jpg   carb1.jpg   carb2.jpg   cto.jpg   photo-2-.jpg  

photo-5-.jpg   air-filter.jpg   air-filter2.jpg   charcoal-filter.jpg   engine-sticker.jpg  

Mtbizango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You should make a list of what you have in the way of components, what you want to keep and what you want to add. What is your aim with this, to meet an emissions test or just to get it running smooth?

Have you got a brake booster?
Have you got an air pump?
What fuel system have you got. Has it got a tank return? How is the tank vented?
You have the EGR valve (just below F in your pic) but does it work? They can help the engine run better but not vital.
Which carb do you have?
Where are your manifold vacuum and ported vacuum ports? I suspect E and F are manifold vacuum but that is where I would have expected the brake booster to be connected. G may be a ported vacuum connection, does it connect above or below the throttle butterflies If above it is your ported vacuum source?
I am not sure what B and C are. Is that part of the vapour control?
The TAC is there, which is worth retaining, but it is missing a few fittings.
You have coolant temperature switch / CTO in the side of the block, but your pic is unclear as to how many ports it has. This comes into its own with the vapour canister, but no sign of that.

I am sure someone will chime in with the diagram of the hose routing for a 1978 with a TAC and vapour canister. Just to get it working you need to at the least connect the distributor A to manifold vacuum F and plug holes G and E.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Some of the on line parts houses have the factory service manuals and other valuable information on line. Chilton's and Haynes are good sources for GENERAL information, but they get weak on specifics.

Here's a link to Morris 4X4's "Jeep Knowledge Base": http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm

Snoop around in there and you might find some useful information. If you don't find your year, usually if you go one or two up or down you may get lucky as Jeeps evolved slowly.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.