vacuum hose help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > vacuum hose help

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-19-2003, 06:59 PM   #1
hokie CJ-7
1985 CJ7 

vacuum hose help

Help!! I have an 83 cj-7 with the 258 and the crap box T-5 tanny. It is all original but i have a mass of vacuum hoses under the hood that just lead to nowhere and I can't figure out where they go. The Jeep runs fine but I know these things are all there for a reason, plus with inspection time rolling in next month, I am wanting to know how all this goes together. All the manuals I have are of no help. Do any of you know of a good source to use to trace these hoses or of a kit someone sells to replace them all?

Also, if anyone has a nice t-18 or t-176 tranny for sale, i will send you a T-5 shaped ashtray in exchange!

Thanks in advance.....

1964 M416 - for sale!
hokie CJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2003, 10:26 PM   #2
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Difficult to say...

I do know that in many (more every year) states, a dealer can not legally sell a vehicle that does NOT meet emissions standards. Personally, I am ALL for removing all the useless crap possible. However, you might think twice before modifying something that can not be "UN-modified" later!

As for returning your CJ to correctness, the only place I know that has a "RE-smog Kit" is Collins Brothers Jeep in Wylie, Texas.

www.collinsbrosjeep.com

And I know they are VERY pricey about such things! That is why unmolested stock CJ's are becoming more valuable with each passing year. I made sure when I bought my '86 model last year that it was still like it was "born" so I could keep it registered from now on without a hassle.

Bruce from West LA
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2003, 06:25 PM   #3
hokie CJ-7
1985 CJ7 

Thanks man, i appreciate the lead, i am checking it out now. I hate that mess of wires and hoses and would just assume rip it out, but its getting harder and harder to find someone around here who will overlook emissions equipment and since i have it pretty much all intact (just not connected) i may as well make it all nice and legal.

Thanks again!

1964 M416 - for sale!
Unread 05-21-2003, 06:26 PM   #4
johny1i

Click on "Vacuum hose schematic"--wouldn't be a bad idea to browse around the rest of them either if you aren't real clear on what everything under the hood does.

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2003, 06:53 PM   #5
hokie CJ-7
1985 CJ7 

WOW!! that's exactly what i was looking for! i know the basics on engines and can do a lot simple backyard repairs myself, but kinda lost when it comes to all these vacuum hoses and wiring and what fun is it if you dont get your hands dirty and figure it out yourself!? That site looks to be a great help, thanks for the help!

1964 M416 - for sale!
Unread 05-21-2003, 07:03 PM   #6
Backcountry

whoa another member with a CJ from harrisonburg, sweet!! sorry to jump off topic man but what are you driving now? me and my friends are goin wheelin this weekend, let me know if you want to get together sometime or need help workin on the jeep. i just put a YJ tub on my CJ........here are some pics of it.......wave if you see me ........jeep pics
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2003, 07:33 PM   #7
hokie CJ-7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by Backcountry
whoa another member with a CJ from harrisonburg, sweet!! sorry to jump off topic man but what are you driving now? me and my friends are goin wheelin this weekend, let me know if you want to get together sometime or need help workin on the jeep. i just put a YJ tub on my CJ........here are some pics of it.......wave if you see me ........jeep pics

Small world huh!? I have a blue 83 cj-7 Renegade, running 32's and if you've been outside lately, you know I havent been driving it cause the top comes off from April til September.

And a definite on wheeling, unfortunately, I have the crapbox T-5 with a bad synchronizer in 1st, so kinda kills me doing much wheeling until i can get something else in there. I am not even going to waste my time/money on the T-5. so if you know anyone with a good tranny, let me know.

Jeep looks good man! I will keep a lookout for you. I will be the guy screaming at the gear grinding transmission at every crowded stoplight (funny how it works perfect when no one is around) and ditto on the help turning a wrench sometime.

Where do you go wheeling around here?

1964 M416 - for sale!
Unread 05-21-2003, 07:37 PM   #8
Backcountry

ummm i believe this weekend we are goin to a place called second mountain, i think its in west virginia, im not sure, it will be my first run on this trail, but usually we are all up in raleigh somewhere, haha. where do you live around here?
Unread 05-21-2003, 07:46 PM   #9
hokie CJ-7
1985 CJ7 

i'm here on the west side of town. you got a big crowd you go wheeling with?

what kind of setup you running in your jeep (engine, tranny, etc)?

1964 M416 - for sale!
Unread 05-22-2003, 05:11 AM   #10
Backcountry

i just bought this jeep back in january and have since done the tub swap, its only been on the road for about 2 weeks now and this weekend will be its first trip to the woods. Its a 84 with a 304 and T4.....all stock, AMC 20 rear and Dana 30 front with open diffs for now. It has 4 inch suspension lift, and 1 inch body. 33x12.50 BFG mudders. other than that is all stock. Yea its a pretty big crowd......everything from a old stock looking toyota pickup with a rear locker and front spool to a new hummer H1
Unread 05-22-2003, 04:24 PM   #11
hokie CJ-7
1985 CJ7 

cool deal man........mine is pretty stock too. i bought it about a year ago and put a 2-1/2" lift and 32's on. engine is a 6 cyl with the 5 speed. nothing special on it yet. I had to replace the hubs and bearings on the front with my fun stuff money, so saving up again.

let me know how the wheeling goes this weekend....

1964 M416 - for sale!
Unread 05-22-2003, 06:32 PM   #12
Backcountry

yea im gonna try to take some pics. same here on the money stuff. I have been replacing a lot of stuff lately since the tub swap. The only performance thing i did was new BFG mudders, and thats just because the old ones were dryrotted. I had to replace all the engine hoses, some guages, fan belt, wheel bearings and almost any other regular maintenance thing you can think of. The jeep sat for over 2 years in the weather and it took its toll on it. but i will keep in touch, im sure i will see you around, let me know if you need help workin on it, im replacing motor mounts tomorrow, should be fun
Unread 05-25-2003, 10:55 AM   #13
hokie CJ-7
1985 CJ7 

how was the wheeling this weekend? any pics?

motor mount replacement go ok?

1964 M416 - for sale!
Unread 05-25-2003, 10:58 AM   #14
Backcountry

well im getting ready to leave for the trails here in about a half hour as soon as my friends get here. Im taking my digi cam so i should have pics up tonight. I replaced the motor mount yesterday and it was a pain, but its in and im ready to go get muddy! ill post pics tonight
Unread 05-25-2003, 10:59 AM   #15
hokie CJ-7
1985 CJ7 

sounds good man, y'all have fun!!

btw......think i may have found a new tranny, so might get this thing on the trails soon!

1964 M416 - for sale!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.