Vacuum/Carb Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Vacuum/Carb Help

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
twmorgan
1957 CJ5 

Vacuum/Carb Help

I have been having some issues with the carb on a jeep that I have owned for a few months. It is running rich and seams to only run well if I pump the accelerator. Someone said that it may be a vacuum problem, so i want to start there and get some advice and opinion on the current setup.

I have been reading these two articles to try to educate myself.

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Engine/Rebuild8.html
http://home.comcast.net/~sday77/binky/repair_pcv.htm

In this first picture the part that is labeled "A" does not look right to me. I am wondering if it may be leaking.

What is the part that is labeled "B" in this second picture it is located at the base of the distributer.

I am running the non-vacuum fuel pump

Here is an over view of the whole system.

What do you think? If it needs work where would you sugest getting the parts?

Unread 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
geneapodaca
1978 CJ7 

Your description could mean almost anything. First of all, a vacuum problem is normally a vacuum leak which makes the engine run lean. Rich can be caused by a dirty air filter, engine needing a tune-up, carb float out of adjustment or weak carb needle valve, fuel/air mix idle screw out of adjustment, vehicle timing off... etc. You might want to start simpler with a tune up and fresh plugs, and then work your way up. Find a repair book and get dirty. You pic labeled "A" looks strange but not like a leak unless that little rubber cap is torn.
geneapodaca is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.