Vacuum assist Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Vacuum assist Upgrade

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
matt1u2
1977 CJ5 

Vacuum assist Upgrade

I am upgrading my 77 Jeep CJ5 with vacuum assist brakes. It is a Jeep CJ booster. My question is running the lines. There is a large reservoir to the back in the master cylinder and a small in the front. Which one goes to the front and rear. Also do I need to use a different proportioning valves.

Any advise on bleeding brakes. I haven't ran the vacuum hose yet. I have the 304 engine with an edelbrock intake. I also installed wide track axles from an 84 cj7

thanks for the help

matt1u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
cj7guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

I put a vac brake booster on a 78 CJ7 that came with manual brakes. It was the best single upgrade to that vehicle ever, and I did a lot of mods, including fuel injection.
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
MikeMCJ
1951 M-38 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1u2 View Post
I am upgrading my 77 Jeep CJ5 with vacuum assist brakes. It is a Jeep CJ booster. My question is running the lines. There is a large reservoir to the back in the master cylinder and a small in the front. Which one goes to the front and rear. Also do I need to use a different proportioning valves.

Any advise on bleeding brakes. I haven't ran the vacuum hose yet. I have the 304 engine with an edelbrock intake. I also installed wide track axles from an 84 cj7

thanks for the help
I have all the parts and will be doing this swap as soon as I can find the time.

larger res is for the front brakes.

pressure bleeder works best for me, but the speed bleeders look like a great idea (that I have not tried yet). note that you may need to pin the combo valve. Do a search on this site for more details.

As far as the combo (proportioning) valve, I have not been able to verify a difference between drum/drum and disc/drum. Many parts outlets list the same valve regardless of front brake type. Many have swapped over to discs in front and have not seen adverse braking using their original valve.
MikeMCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMCJ View Post
I have all the parts and will be doing this swap as soon as I can find the time.

larger res is for the front brakes.

pressure bleeder works best for me, but the speed bleeders look like a great idea (that I have not tried yet). note that you may need to pin the combo valve. Do a search on this site for more details.

As far as the combo (proportioning) valve, I have not been able to verify a difference between drum/drum and disc/drum. Many parts outlets list the same valve regardless of front brake type. Many have swapped over to discs in front and have not seen adverse braking using their original valve.
You do not need to change the prop valve. It will work for any combination of disc / drums.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
matt1u2
1977 CJ5 

I have not had any success with bleeding the brakes. I replaced all the rubber and most of the metal lines.

Like I said I haven't hooked up the vacuum line yet. There is a 3/8 plug behind the carb that I have decided to remove to get the vacuum.

Does the vacuum line have to hooked up to bleed the brakes?

Any advise would be very helpful.

Thanks ahead of time.
Unread 04-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You do not need the vacuum line hooked up or the engine running to bleed the brakes.
Unread 04-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
matt1u2
1977 CJ5 

I hate to admit this but i had the calipers on upside down. Fixed that and I was able to bleed them just fine.

One note for guys that don't have an assistant available all the time. I purchased a brake bleeder from harbor freight that works with your air compressor at 100psi by creating a vacuum. It works great. Easy way to flush old/bad break fluid also.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Matt

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.