Vacuum Advance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Vacuum Advance

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 04-04-2005, 06:57 PM   #1
Dimension4

Vacuum Advance

What's the difference between ported and manifold vacuum? Which do I use with a 'nutter bypass' and which would I use as a stock setup in 1984? How many degrees timing advance at what vac. pressure and what RPM should I run?

Dimension4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2005, 07:59 PM   #2
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

The difference is ported vacuum is above the throttle plates, is zero at idle, will increase as the throttle is opened (to a max of about 12inHg) and will slowly return to near zero when wide open throttle.

Manifold is below the throttle plate, is a max at idle and will drop with the throttle opening. For 99% of vehicles, ported is prefered but feel free to experiment.

Start the timing at about 8-10* BTDC. Engine vacuum can vary from person to person, but at idle should pull about 20 inHg (steady reading). Since it is Nuttered, once the vacuum advance hose is removed from the distributor, it won't make much difference in RPM's as the mechanical advance won't kick in until about 1600 RPM's. You can also time it using engine vacuum, adjust dizzy until highest vacuum reading is obtained, then back off 1-2 inches. Mine pings when I go that route but yours might be different.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2005, 08:48 AM   #3
Dimension4

Is the 8-10 BTDC when the engine is off and I point the rotor tip at cylinder #1, or is it when the motor is running and I use a timing light? If it is when the motor is off, what is the advance when the motor is running w/ and w/o vacuum?
Dimension4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2005, 10:19 AM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

1) Start it. 2) Warm it up. 3) Check RPM's, needs to be below 700. 4) Unplug vac adv. 5) Time it. 6) Reconnect vac adv 7) Drive. 8) Readjust as nessary.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.