v-8 lift ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > v-8 lift ?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 08-17-2002, 06:28 AM   #1
diggy

v-8 lift ?

Hi everyone, I'm new here, been driving Jeeps for years. Anyway. I just purchased a 79 cj5 w/304 and the stock suspension is shot. The rear springs actually arch the wrong way. What I'm wondering is will I have to add a leaf to the front packs for it to sit level? or do the lift companys take that into account?

diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2002, 09:49 AM   #2
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

I have not found a production lift that works for very long with an AMC V-8. Production lifts tend to work best with the I-6 and sag quickly in the front with a V-8. The guys that have a 4 cyl have the opposite situation and get the rough ride with springs that are really stiff.
I wound up adding a main leaf from a Skyjacker set to my front pack and it seems to be working well so far.

I will have a custom set made down the road - probably Alcan's...
Unread 08-17-2002, 10:56 AM   #3
CSP

Believe it or not, there's only about 20 pounds of difference between the I6 and V8. A small block Chevy is actually lighter than the AMC I6. There's a lot more block on an I6 than a V8 and that's why it's so heavy.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2002, 06:19 PM   #4
diggy

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll put on a lift and take if from there.

Diggy
diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2002, 07:13 PM   #5
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by CSP
Believe it or not, there's only about 20 pounds of difference between the I6 and V8. A small block Chevy is actually lighter than the AMC I6. There's a lot more block on an I6 than a V8 and that's why it's so heavy.
This reference shows at least 40 lbs and possibly 100 lbs difference. My front springs came off a Jeep with the I-6 and there was no sag - One month after the install they had dropped 1.5". This is common with my CJ - I am on my 4th set of springs in 8 years.

Engine weights
Unread 08-18-2002, 10:11 AM   #6
CSP

Interesting. My charts don't show that much difference so it's a question of what do you believe. What I do know is that my I6 and winch combined definitely weigh more than a V8. I haven't had a bit of problem with the springs sagging on any of the 12 CJ's I've owned over the last 20 years other than normal wear and tear from wheeling them pretty hard.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.