Using Power Brake Vacuum For Fuel Evap Canister - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Using Power Brake Vacuum For Fuel Evap Canister

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Using Power Brake Vacuum For Fuel Evap Canister

I don't have power brakes. Moving the vacuum source for the Evaporative Canister to the Power Brake port would clean things up a lot.

Can anyone think of a reason not to go this route?

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

Not having a means of purging the evap canister? Or is it already gone?
Unread 07-20-2014, 12:35 AM   #3
bruteboy

it may cause driveability issues as it would act like a vac leak when purging. it should be tee'd into the pcv line.
bruteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 04:40 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The purge is just looking for manifold vacuum so that should work fine as long as the trigger is still ported.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Thanks guys. I looked again and then I was "inspired" to look at the FSM to see what it said. (well, duh, dummy! ) You guys are right, all it wants is a vacuum source.

It wasn't set up correctly when I bought it. In fact the fuel return line had somehow disappeared as well. Since I'm rebuilding and considering a future move to FI I want to restore the return line. The Evap was there but the original air cleaner was gone and the purge hose wasn't hooked up to anything.

The book says originally the purge hose was just hooked into the air cleaner horn; it doesn't require that much of a vacuum at all. I think you're right in that although the power brake port would establish the vacuum, the airflow might be too large and cause problems.

Thanks for the sounding board.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Thanks guys. I looked again and then I was "inspired" to look at the FSM to see what it said. (well, duh, dummy! ) You guys are right, all it wants is a vacuum source.

It wasn't set up correctly when I bought it. In fact the fuel return line had somehow disappeared as well. Since I'm rebuilding and considering a future move to FI I want to restore the return line. The Evap was there but the original air cleaner was gone and the purge hose wasn't hooked up to anything.

The book says originally the purge hose was just hooked into the air cleaner horn; it doesn't require that much of a vacuum at all. I think you're right in that although the power brake port would establish the vacuum, the airflow might be too large and cause problems.

Thanks for the sounding board.
You have the old fashioned canister then with no purge valve on it. It would cause a vacuum leak for sure if hooked to manifold vacuum. I have seen folks just drill a hole in the snout of the intake and solder in a copper tube at right angles to the airflow for picking up the purge line. They flared the end of the tube so it fit tight in the hole from the top. Even an epoxy like JB weld would likely hold the tube in place, but solder would be best.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.