Using four wheel drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Using four wheel drive

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Nelson
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Using four wheel drive

Need some clarification. I have an 83 cj with front locking hubs and auto trans.
1. How do I shift into four wheel drive?
2. Do I put it in neutral and shift into four wheel or on the fly?
3. Do I need to lock the hubs?
4. If I do need to lock the hubs, do I turn them clockwise or counter clockwise?
Any help would be appreciated!

Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson View Post
need some clarification. I have an 83 cj with front locking hubs and auto trans.
1. How do i shift into four wheel drive?

by shifting the transfer case into 4x4. You can do this on the fly for 4x4 high but you must be at a stop or a 1 mph roll when going into or out of 4x4 low.

2. Do i put it in neutral and shift into four wheel or on the fly?

again, 4x4 high is ok on the fly but not for low range. You can shift into neutral but you can also just ease up on the throttle until you are in a coast condition to help the transfer case shift into position.

3. Do i need to lock the hubs?

yes, if you want four wheel drive. The transfer case locks and unlocks power going to the front drive shaft and axle. The hubs lock the wheels to the axle. So if the hubs are unlocked the wheel spins free whether the axle has power or not.

4. If i do need to lock the hubs, do i turn them clockwise or counter clockwise?

clockwise.

any help would be appreciated!
. .
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Nelson
2003 TJ Wrangler 

83 cj

Thanks for the info, I have some light issues and I need to relocate a seatbelt bolt and we will be on the road!
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

There's no way you can shift from 2HI into 4HI on the fly with a Jeep CJ with either a Dana model 20 or 300 transfer case. You must be at a complete stop or moving less than 3mph in order to engage the transfer case into any 4x4 position. The Jeep CJ does not have "shift-on-the-fly" capability. You'll be grinding gears if you try it that way.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
brandon20

i ahve a question for anyone on manual cj. for towing how do i make sure the 4 wheel is in neutral? if the 4 wheels in neutral and my regualr transmission is in first how would i know my dana 300 is really in neutral? this is for towing.for towing i keep my 4 4 wheel transfer case in neutral and my regular trasmission in 4th correct? thanks
brandon20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
There's no way you can shift from 2HI into 4HI on the fly with a Jeep CJ with either a Dana model 20 or 300 transfer case. You must be at a complete stop or moving less than 3mph in order to engage the transfer case into any 4x4 position. The Jeep CJ does not have "shift-on-the-fly" capability. You'll be grinding gears if you try it that way.
I disagree. Shifting from 2H to 4H to 2H can be done at any speed as long as the power is removed from the input shaft; pushing in the clutch or feathering the throttle to a neutral coast condition.

Page 21 of my 1979 CJ7 owners manual states the same thing. Not to mention I used to do it all the time when I actually drove my Jeep daily. Into and out of Low range must be at a stop or 1-2 mph. Shifting into and out of high range is also assuming you already have the front hubs locked.
Unread 08-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
CSP

I go from 2hi to 4hi all the time in my CJ and my pickup (also part time 4WD). With the hubs locked the front driveline is spinning at the same speed as the rear driveline.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

it might say you can shift on the fly, but I could never do it, I be afraid of losing a gear
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon20 View Post
i ahve a question for anyone on manual cj. for towing how do i make sure the 4 wheel is in neutral? if the 4 wheels in neutral and my regualr transmission is in first how would i know my dana 300 is really in neutral? this is for towing.for towing i keep my 4 4 wheel transfer case in neutral and my regular trasmission in 4th correct? thanks
If your transmission is in 4th and the transfer case in neutral, the rear wheels will roll freely. If the transfer case was not truly in neutral, the rear tires would stay locked and skid or the engine would be trying to turn over from the driving force from the wheels.
Unread 08-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
brandon20

thanks mike. so when i flat tow i do the neutral and 4th correct? since my wheels aren't off the ground is there any other way to tell?if the transmission is in 4th and the transfer case was accidentally in gear wouldn't the rear wheels not spin and i'd be dragging the jeep in tow?my question is could i tell byt the feel of the tow if i screwed up and it really wasn't in neutral?
Unread 08-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

The FSM shows that when flat towing with a Dana 300, you put your Tcase and trans. in neutral, and lock the front hubs.
Dborns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
CSP

Regardless of what the FSM says, it's not safe to tow the Dana 300 for long distances as the internals will be moving but not lubricated. The best thing to do is remove the rear driveshaft and be sure that the front hubs are unlocked.

For shorter distances the tcase should be in neutral and the transmission in gear or park with an auto. The tranny in gear is to minimize the number of moving parts in the transfer case. Even in neutral parts can move from residual friction.

If one can't tell that the Jeep is in neutral they really deserve a lobotomy. It won't want to move in gear and there's no mistaking that.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #13
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Explain the reasoning on locking or unlocking the front hubs.... The FSM shows to lock, but CSP is saying to keep them unlocked, whats the reason either way? Just wondering.
Dborns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #14
brandon20

wow i've read 100 notes on here and 90% say when flat towing put the transmission in 4th or 5th gear(what ever your highest gear is) and the trasfer case in neutral.. again how do i know my transfer case is in neutral when i'm towing if i can't lift the wheels to see if they spin?. its very cumbersome moving the 4 wheeel drive back and forth on a cj. so if my transmission is in neutral and my transfer case in 2h while the car roll if i push it?. how can i tow the jeep when the trannsy in 4th gear? when i'm on small hill and i put it in 1st gear its so it doesn't roll. i thought towing a car in gear would mess up the transmission
Unread 08-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #15
brandon20

csp if the transmissions in gear and the transfer case is in neutral or 2l it still won't roll due to the tranny being in gear correct? so i can't tell if its in gear. what i guess i must do is bput both in neutral and push the jeep to amke sure it rolls then hook up the flat toe and put the transmission in 4th

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.