Using dana 44's from a 77 cherokee chief non wide track under a cj 5? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Using dana 44's from a 77 cherokee chief non wide track under a cj 5?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
69willys
1969 CJ5 

Using dana 44's from a 77 cherokee chief non wide track under a cj 5?

Hello I have a 77 FSJ Cherokee Chief sport that does not have the wide track axles under it. They are Dana 44's front and rear coming off the automatic tranny and 401 AMC motor. My question is I have a 69 pre-AMC CJ5 that has stock dana 30's with highway gears.
Ive been told that the 44's under my cherokee will bolt on swap to the frame of the CJ5.
What I know: The 44's are six lug and the spring mounts are the exact distance from center and pumpkin as that of the cj frame and set up on the front. (it is all I measured no back measurements yet).
Things I know Ill have to Check: I understand with the disck breaks I'll be changing a few things and drivelines will need to be swaped.
Things I have no clue about: ANYTHING else beyond this point. Is this in fact a bolt on swap or am I getting in over my head? Are the 44's from this year and modle actually close eough to frame rail size to be a bolt on project no major welding???? and what issues may i incounter?

ANn help you all might have will be great I have spun and axle on the 30 befoe and parts were expensive stronger seems to be better and the parts are sitting in my drive way.. two years ago i rebuilt the motor and refinsihed from knuckles out so i want to use as much as possible off her befor I call on a junker or craiglist... I cought the dash on fire with a bad ground from a heater fan.

69willys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
CSP

First of all they won't bolt on. Any front axle from a fullsize Jeep, whether it's a Cherokee or Wagoneer, widetrack or narrow track, will have the spring pads at 31.5" apart. CJ frames and the leaf springs are 27.5" apart. For the front axle you either have to narrow the axle or build mounts outboard of the frame rails for the springs to bolt to.

You can't move the perches on the front axle because one of them is cast into the differential housing.

The rear axle will be somewhat of a bolt in once the spring perches are moved inward to match the width of the CJ springs. Welding is required for this operation.

Google "CJ Wagoneer Dana 44 swap" to see examples of what all is necessary. I've only touched on the high points of this swap.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.