used arb question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > used arb question

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
joes1982CJ

used arb question

might be getting one used for my amc 20. with that said im curious if there are any disposable parts i should be concerened about that i might have to purchase in order to reinstall..i know i will need an install kit but are there any "arb specific" parts that i might need?

thanks in advanced

joes1982CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Well you had me scratching my head with this one, what on earth is an "arb". At first I thought maybe the C on your keyboard was sticking and you meant "carb". However you refer to an AMC20 which is an axle so you are referring to a ARB air locker?

There is an o ring seal in the housing that you will want to replace as a matter of course and of course the nylon air line and fittings up to your compressor. The relay and solenoids and wiring kit should be good to go and the locker itself is pretty reliable.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
joes1982CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Well you had me scratching my head with this one, what on earth is an "arb". At first I thought maybe the C on your keyboard was sticking and you meant "carb". However you refer to an AMC20 which is an axle so you are referring to a ARB air locker?

There is an o ring seal in the housing that you will want to replace as a matter of course and of course the nylon air line and fittings up to your compressor. The relay and solenoids and wiring kit should be good to go and the locker itself is pretty reliable.
yeah sorry arb air locker is what im talking about. so this o ring, im assuming i can purchase this from arb i would imagine. i thought i read here that there dont make this locker (for the amc 20) i guess i will call them in the am
joes1982CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
84scrambler
1984 CJ8 

If its like the ARB for my dana 44 then you should look into a set of misc. shims and a new bearing for the bigger side. These were specialized parts I needed for my install that weren't available at just any store. I ended up getting an assortment of shims from a mechanic that installed them so its worth asking those guys as well.
84scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes1982CJ View Post
yeah sorry arb air locker is what im talking about. so this o ring, im assuming i can purchase this from arb i would imagine. i thought i read here that there dont make this locker (for the amc 20) i guess i will call them in the am
They do make one for the AMC20, it is around $1,000 plus the compressor. Plenty of places stock spares and arbusa would be a good place for technical advice.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 07:02 AM   #6
CSP

ARB changed the bulkhead fitting where it goes through the axle housing to a different design. It would be worth your while to upgrade this ARB to that type of fitting.

Call ARB's customer support line. They are extremely helpful and can make the proper recommendations and send the right parts.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.