Urgent Steering box advice !?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Urgent Steering box advice !?!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 02-20-2002, 02:22 PM   #1
Guy Hollister

Urgent Steering box advice !?!

CJ7 RHD... power steering... sort of...

My steering box has been recently 'fixed' by Dave Sargent in Doncaster [don't ever go there]....

He really has fixed it good and propper because today it stopped dripping ATF and absolutely pissed it out [luckily just when i had got home].

The question is - can i still drive it DRY ? or will i be causing a bigger problem than what i believe it is at present [blown seal on the box].

If i were to top it up - it would be empty again in 1-2 mins... so that not much of an option. Plan B is - i hear you can mix 1/2 brake fluid and ATF for a wicked cocktail of "seal enlarging" gloop that may temporarily reseal it - but i doubt that would work with this one.

The thing is - i am moving house in 2 days and need it... and i dont have the time nor £ to get it recon'd by Friday !! Argh.

Cheers
Guy

Unread 02-20-2002, 07:40 PM   #2
mrclean

Just take the belt off the pump and run it. There should be enough oil coating the works to run for a while. I wouldn't drive a thousand miles that way, but it will be OK for a while. Be tough to steer though, hope you ate your Wheaties!
mrclean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2002, 01:56 PM   #3
Guy Hollister

Solved...

I hacked the steering Vbelt off ... as i didn't have the bloody time to piss about with taking all the belts off and the steering belt is at the back !

Cheers
Guy
Unread 02-25-2002, 02:48 PM   #4
CJ10a

Now try and park it in a tight spot!!!!
Custom everything and most of my life savings
CJ10a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2002, 02:56 PM   #5
Guy Hollister

yeh phil - 3 point turns are a bit of a job !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.