Update on Boy Scout Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Update on Boy Scout Project

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
atom73
1977 CJ5 

Update on Boy Scout Project

We did it. My Boy Scout Varsity Team came over the past few Tues nights and we got the motor in the jeep and it is now running. It was loud with the open collectors before I got the mufflers on.
Here is a shot of the AMC 360 in original AMC blue bored .060 over ready to go in.

Here are the guys

Here are some shots in the vehicle, I still have some tidying up to do with the wiring.

So thanks to Dons Auto Parts in Kenosha WI for doing the rebuild, Dave Furlin who is the AMC expert that can feel disturbances in the force with that motor, and you guys who have always answered my questions. I have more projects but its been two years and many $s now I have at least a DD to mess with.
Mike

atom73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
jeepmaster03
1982 CJ7 

Man that's awesome! I wish my old Boyscout troop would have been into that kind of stuff.
If you guys ever need anything, parts, technical assistance, etc...Never hesitate to post up or send a PM!
jeepmaster03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
IDK

God, you can't beat that wonderful metallic blue that AMC motors came stock with, it is such a pretty color most of them are so dirty you can't tell, my Jeep is a perfect example, if I got the motor detailed it might look nicer. Ford motors are Ford blue, Chevy motors are orange/red color, but the AMC metallic blue is my favorite engine color!
IDK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2009, 05:15 AM   #4
atom73
1977 CJ5 

Yeah, the AMC metallic blue looks sweet especially once I painted the engine bay black (instead of the rust and crappy color the PO had it). I almost want to take the tranny and Tcase out just to paint it that color. The motor runs really nice too, no leaks, quick snappy starts. The guys at Dons did a great job, much better than I could have ever done. They also ran an internal oil line to improve lubrication which is pretty cool.
Unread 10-01-2009, 05:44 AM   #5
gmshades
1979 CJ7 

Do you have a right-up of the parts you used to reassemble the 360? My engine is coming out this winter and I have to repair and upgrade parts to make it run better. Thanks

BTW - that's cool you had the boys scout involved.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqcWQmzWtVk
gmshades is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
atom73
1977 CJ5 

I dont have a write-up, I didnt do the rebuild. The shop purchased rebuild kits that they use for all the gaskets, springs, crank, bearings, cam, rods, lifters, timing kit, oil pump kit etc. I did have it line bored, cylinders bored and honed etc. I did the disassembly at home to do some inspection of parts but they did everything with rebuild and assembly. If you are going to rebuild an AMC V8 I would install an internal oil line, evidently they are notorious for being underlubricated. I am not sure how they did it but the shop guys recommend it for all V8 AMCs they do, I believe I have seen it discussed here too.
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.