Unlocking ignition switch w/o key - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Unlocking ignition switch w/o key

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-03-2002, 06:52 PM   #1
bowhunter

Unlocking ignition switch w/o key

Does anyone know how to unlock the ignition switch in a 78 cj5? the PO didn't have a key and he never lock it. I was working on it tonight and somehow as I was getting in and out or moving around in the jeep it locked up.

bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2002, 07:08 PM   #2
Mud Dobber

a lock smith can unlock that switch for you and also remove it from the column. You can then either replace the entire lock assembly or have the lock smith cut you a new key for it. Short of that you do not have many options unless you do not mind causing damage to the jeep.
Mud Dobber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2002, 07:45 PM   #3
bowhunter

Dobber I was hoping that I could remove the steering wheel and be able to get numbers off it to have a key made or remove it and if I can remove it is there any wiring invovled?
Unread 12-03-2002, 08:50 PM   #4
werewolf7111

the complete switch with keys sells for about $16 in 4wd- its not worth a locksmith.

to remove it-- get a dent puller type of slide hammer and screw in and jerk out- it only has one plastic tab holding it in

then push the new switch assm in- youre done

Joe MSME PE
werewolf7111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2002, 08:55 PM   #5
werewolf7111

afterthought

I worked as a locksmith when i was a teen

assuming the info is still available- the VIN could be used at a dealer to cut a key and locksmiths have books to look it up and remotely cut a key( assuming its the OEM switch)

also they used to sell key ring sets( a big ring with every combination of key depths on them- you keep trying till one fits)

prehaps an older locksmith may still have some

but yanking the switch is easier for the effort

Joe MSME PE
Unread 12-04-2002, 10:02 AM   #6
bowhunter

Wolf would pulling the cylinder out with slide hammer damage the "plastic tab" and not let the other cylinder lock in place
Unread 12-04-2002, 02:19 PM   #7
werewolf7111

no, the plastic tab is on the lock body proper- you are gonna trash the whole thing

you wont damage the recess that the tab locks in
Unread 12-04-2002, 02:26 PM   #8
bowhunter

Thanks wolf. Gonna get me uh slide hammer
Unread 12-05-2002, 09:24 PM   #9
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

If you don't care about your Jeep, follow the above info! If you do, remove the horn button, steering wheel, compress lock ring and remove snap ring, unscrew turn signal cam and move it to the side. There are 2 types of ignition locks used in these GM type columns. If you see a black torx bolt, unscrew it and the cylinder will pull right out. If no screw, there is a thin slot that you insert a thin metal blade and push down the above mentioned tab. Then, go up to Autozone/Carquest/PepBoys, or whatever you have in your area and get a CJ lock set....15 to 25 bucks! reverse to install...NO SLIDE HAMMER (in case you have the screw type...you will damage the inside of the column if you have this type and use a slide hammer....the tab type might work this way, but why risk it)

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2002, 06:17 AM   #10
werewolf7111

granted, youre right that thats the correct by the book way- but there are plenty of short cuts with minimal risk also that work too.( some not always in line with man. recommendations either)
Unread 12-06-2002, 07:33 AM   #11
bowhunter

Ed thanks the more info the better.
Unread 12-06-2002, 06:03 PM   #12
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Sorry about being harsh, Werewolf. I know there are times when we want to take a slide / sledge / and all other hammers to the problem to make it go faster! I do. My favorite "by the book" procedure is when they say disconnect the positive battery cable before you do ANYTHING! Wow

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2002, 07:01 PM   #13
werewolf7111

thats fine "only", i accept your apology and offer one of my own

to who may read these presents:

"only" was 100% correct in correcting me because i failed to consider this forum is for viewers with varying skills and resources.

yes my "way" will work and has many times- BUT it is NOT the correct method and does have a risk factor.
I have put several 'techno" posts here and have gotten dozens of emails asking for more info which I have answered( either individually or "en masse")

I am a professional engineer who DOES know the value of the book( and the reason the book was written) as well as understanding an "experienced" person can combine/circumvent/alter steps, whereas a less experienced jeeper may not be advised to.

I posted my answer here(on this key issue) from a recent issue I did( on one of my own jeeps) WITHOUT advising the readers that there is a potential for other damage. ( although minimal- still there, regardless)- after re reading and thinking- I admit- that was the wrong approach and could be viewed as misleading to the lesser experienced.
In the future, i will be more careful and list potential risks with my posts

I offer my apology for my lack of forethought and i stand corrected.

Joe MSME PE
Unread 12-06-2002, 07:16 PM   #14
bowhunter

CJ, Wolf glad ya'll are here. Ed doing it your way but am having trouble finding out where to stick the thin piece of metal. May have to do wolf's idea
Unread 12-06-2002, 09:13 PM   #15
bowhunter

Ed, Joe cylinder IS OUT. Ed your idea was working until I could not get the tab to release. So Joe did the "slide hammer thing"but with a pair of channel locks and a hammer. Didn't take much force to release. Thanks to you both

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.