Unidentified connectors - maybe for clock or tach? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Unidentified connectors - maybe for clock or tach?

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 10-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
VanHermanator
1985 CJ7 

Unidentified connectors - maybe for clock or tach?

Hi guys,

I have a 1985 CJ7 with the AMC150 4-cylinder. I'm trying to add a clock and tach, and have already drilled the dash and mounted them. I'm now trying to interpret the wiring diagrams from my Haynes manual, but they may as well be in Zwahili.

I have found 3 unused connectors coming from the headlight switch. One has 4-wires, then single orange and black ones. I've attached 2 pics. If anyone knows what they are supposed to be for please let me know.

Thanks!

cj7-wiring-harness.jpg

wiring-harness-2.jpg

VanHermanator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Not sure what any of those wire connectors are for. I know the tach on a 4cyl is wired differently than my 6cyl, but I've never looked at the wiring on a 4cyl. Also, I believe the factory clock connects directly to the fuse box with a sort of "L" shaped plastic connector (its just a spade connector, but has a strange shaped plastic housing).

Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

The orange wire will be switched power i.e. it will only produce power when the ignition is on probably went to the light on a factory clock. The other one probably is for cruise control. Which is pretty rare on CJ's I have never seen one with cruise control but the wiring harness came with them. The black would be the ground for the light mentioned above. Search the forum for 2girlsandaguy. He has a great thread with pictures and harness labeled.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Could that ? be a dark Blue wire?
I think the one is for the fog light Relay. It's in all the harness after 84.

But there was a 4 cyl tach connection someplace also. Cant find schematic right now.

Orange and black could be for the dome light or Courtesy Lights.

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Could that ? be a dark Blue wire?
I think the one is for the fog light Relay. It's in all the harness after 84.

But there was a 4 cyl tach connection someplace also. Cant find schematic right now.

Orange and black could be for the dome light or Courtesy Lights.

John, thanks for posting the diagrams. They came in handy!
258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.