Undercoating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Undercoating

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
NelsonATC
1980 CJ7 

Undercoating

Getting ready to do some repairs to my tub, which is currently off the frame. Plan on cutting out and replacing anything corroded, but for the most part the tub just has surface rust underneath.

What is the current consensus on undercoating? (type and how much needed if recomended)

I will be spraying it with 2 coats of Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator (which I have already). The Jeep is never garaged and I live in RI. It is not a DD and doesn't see the roads a lot in the winter, unless I am headed out to wheel it.

Unread 01-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
NelsonATC
1980 CJ7 

Bump
Unread 01-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Well Nelson if it weren't so cold and dark out side I could give you a brand name that was highly recommended to me years ago and I have a stock of it in the barn and if I weren't so old I could remember the brand. So there you have it.

At least tonight I will commend you for sealing it up prior to applying the undercoat. And I can say that the amount to be used is relevant to just how thick you want to apply it. IIRC it will take six or seven of the larger sized aerosol cans to apply what I consider ample to be effective if you were to do the entire underside.

I will make the trip up to get you the brand name tomorrow morning and offer it for your consideration then.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

Por-15 is pretty highly recommended.

But i'm cheap and just touch it up with black rustoleom as needed.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
NelsonATC
1980 CJ7 

I already have and am planning on sealing first with Eastwoods, which is similar to Por-15. Looking for an undercoat to spray over it as a topcoat to hold down road noise and protect it from the elements
Unread 01-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

...felt I could use a walk and you could use the tip.

I use and would recommend "Tite Seal" Rubberized Undercoating it is a SolderSeal/Gunk product. Two coats.

After applying the first coat you will have a clear understanding as how both the amount of overlap and the distance it is held from the surface will affect the texture. This is a good product. It states that it "seals against rust & corrosion muffles noise" The first part I'm just a little skeptical of, the last I'll confirm.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #7
skidplate77
1977 CJ7 

I used U-POL Raptor to undercoat my fiberglass tub. It's a great product, and very easy to apply. It comes with it's own spray gun in a kit. 1 kit is a 100 bucks, and it covers a 8 ft pickup truck bed. Very durable, too...
body-mount-locations-005.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.