Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Under dash connections questions

666 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  gthomps95 
#1 ·
I recently took apart everything under the dash and reassembled it. Everything is working but I do have a couple of questions:

1. I have three connections coming from the main wiring harness that are not connected. I'm pretty sure they weren't connected when I started. Everything on the jeep appears stock and factory original. Can someone tell me what these would have been used for, if they know? It's a 79 CJ5, silver anniversary trim package.

1a. A pair of yellow wires with a flat connector?
1b. A red and a white wire with a flat connector?

2. One of the speedo lights is labeled Emergency Drive. How do I test this light? Under what conditions will it come on?

Thanks for the help!

#2 ·
These?

They are mainly used for Jeeps with Automatics. The blue is a Neutral safety switch that if you look closely, it has a jumper in it
One of the other is a Kickdown switch for the tranny and I forget what the 3rd one does.

Emergency Drive Light is to indicate that the t-case in these early Automatic CJ's is in 4 Wheel Drive. I think it locks the front and rear drive shaft to spin together.
It's not used in mid years CJ's with manual trannies but when they came out with the D300 t-case, It was connected to the t-case to indicate you were in 4WD.

#3 ·
Yep. Those are the three. I left the blue one out since I noticed it was jumped half way through the post.

My cluster is like the one in the top two photos, brake on the left and emergency drive on the right. I have a manual transmission. Based on your answer it sounds like that light will never come on for me.

Thanks for the answers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.