Uh oh! Coolant from the header.. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Uh oh! Coolant from the header..

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 01-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #31
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

I have been exceptionally calm considering. What I haven't mentioned is that it took them 2 years and 11 months, yes almost 3 years to build this short block. I dropped the engine off in October of 2007. It was finally ready for pickup September 2010. This was an excuse filled 3 years. He put the full blame of time on his machine shop. Said the guy got sick, then later he hurt his back. That's where the shop sent all of their engines, so mine was on the back burner for a long time. All the while he was telling me it was in pieces and he was working on it so I didn't want to pick it up and take it to someone else and lose stuff. My Jeep was running with my old 258 at the time so I wasn't too upset. Just found myself wondering if it will ever be done.

The shop "lost" my 360 intake and all of the brackets and fittings, so I've had to get new ones. And the paint flaked off when I got it home. Now these leaks and are plaguing me. I've handled everything well so far, I just want to finish this thing out right and drive it. I don't feel I can trust the shop any more due to the above, so I'm forced to do it myself. Just bad luck I guess. Next time I have an engine done I'll be wiser.

I have read that most head gaskets should be installed dry. I'll install them however the manufacturer recommends, depending on which gasket set I go with. I got good practice on the intake gaskets the first time around and feel a lot more comfortable installing it leak free.

Thanks again everyone and please keep the input and advice coming!

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #32
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
I have been exceptionally calm considering. What I haven't mentioned is that it took them 2 years and 11 months, yes almost 3 years to build this short block. I dropped the engine off in October of 2007. It was finally ready for pickup September 2010. This was an excuse filled 3 years. He put the full blame of time on his machine shop. Said the guy got sick, then later he hurt his back. That's where the shop sent all of their engines, so mine was on the back burner for a long time. All the while he was telling me it was in pieces and he was working on it so I didn't want to pick it up and take it to someone else and lose stuff. My Jeep was running with my old 258 at the time so I wasn't too upset. Just found myself wondering if it will ever be done.

The shop "lost" my 360 intake and all of the brackets and fittings, so I've had to get new ones. And the paint flaked off when I got it home. Now these leaks and are plaguing me. I've handled everything well so far, I just want to finish this thing out right and drive it. I don't feel I can trust the shop any more due to the above, so I'm forced to do it myself. Just bad luck I guess. Next time I have an engine done I'll be wiser.

I have read that most head gaskets should be installed dry. I'll install them however the manufacturer recommends, depending on which gasket set I go with. I got good practice on the intake gaskets the first time around and feel a lot more comfortable installing it leak free.

Thanks again everyone and please keep the input and advice coming!

I would have lost my cool long ago...
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #33
Bakunin

1985 CJ7 

You're up for sainthood man. I'd have blown a gasket myself long ago. He lost your parts so you had to buy more? 3 years and the block looks like that in the water jounals? You add coolant and BOTH heads leak? This guy is a rip off artist.
Unread 01-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #34
cj5752
1975 CJ5 

After reading your last reply I would not be calm anymore. Sorry for your bad luck. If follow gasket man instructions I think you can handle it and get it fixed. I would no longer use that shop and would advise anyone that would listen to do the same. I might also file a police report on your stolen parts.
cj5752 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #35
Tolcar
1985 CJ7 

Dude, sorry for all your problems. It makes mine seem minor. (title issues). Hang in there, I'm sure you'll get her fixed up! I'm still kind of shocked by the pictures you posted!
Tolcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #36
Bakunin

1985 CJ7 

If I was anywhere near you I'd offer myself up for free labor to help you get that thing back into running shape.
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #37
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakunin View Post
If I was anywhere near you I'd offer myself up for free labor to help you get that thing back into running shape.
Maaan I wish you were! I sure could use the help and expertise on some of this stuff. I've been doing everything myself so far and have had to do a lot of reading on the internet and my '82 service manual. Having not taken the motor apart myself from the beginning it's been a little tricky putting it back together. I know the 258 pretty well but am learning the V8 as much as I can.

On a side note... I started on the removal of the 258 and install of the 360 in September this past year when I had a little time to kill after getting home from some AF training. I've kept a photo album on cardomain of what I've done since then involving this swap. No descriptions, just a lot of pics but I think it's self explanatory. Might help anyone doing an AMC V8 swap if anything.

Here's my the link to the photos. The engine swap photos start on page 2. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3893384/1982-jeep-cj7

And thanks again, everyone, for all of the support. It has really helped calm my nerves more than you know!

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #38
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Damn dude.

How much was this costing you so far? (How much did you pay the shop so far?)

------
Please note- this motor was shot, completely seized up.. and my dad just wanted a project motor to build up and this AMC 150 and the Jeep it was in was saved from the crusher because of it. It was so bad a piston and a rod fell out of the block when my dad dropped the oil pan.

Sooooo...

My AMC150 had the entire block machined (bored,stroked), hot dipped, magnafluxed, head milled, valves seated and polish to the intakes. All for under $500.

(for a little HP and Torque increase, pushing 136hp at the wheels and its a 1984 model block, haha, stock it was 90-95hp at the wheels if that)
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #39
Bakunin

1985 CJ7 

Very nice, clean work! That engine looks great, what a shame that it leaked like that. You're doing good work, I have no doubt you'll have it together and looking sweet and ready to drive this spring.
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #40
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
Damn dude.

How much was this costing you so far? (How much did you pay the shop so far?)
$812 in machine shop and short block labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakunin View Post
Very nice, clean work! That engine looks great, what a shame that it leaked like that. You're doing good work, I have no doubt you'll have it together and looking sweet and ready to drive this spring.
Thank you! If anything, I'm persistent! I'll do what it takes to get my CJ running again, even if it's doing the same thing a couple times. I have to have it running by spring or I'll go nuts!

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #41
mnstretch
1976 CJ7 

might be a good idea to run a tap through all of the bolt holes and make sure the threads are clean before torqueing the head bolts down. i've used acid cleaner for cooling systems at work and the passages in the radiator look like new afterwards. should be able to get this at the auto parts store.PrestoneŽ Flush and Fill Kit #AF-KITP U.S. & PrestoneŽ Heavy Duty Cooling System Cleaner, GM P/N 12346500.
mnstretch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 02:01 AM   #42
Performance
1988 YJ Wrangler 

After looking at the pics and all that has happened to the motor so far, it would be hard for me not to take a good look at that short block. I mean go over everything. If it was me, I would have pulled the engine after the heads started pouring. It may be fine but, I wouldn't trust it. Could be a lot worse problems there. Just me though. This is the very reason why I build my own engines.
Performance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #43
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

nearly 3 YEARS?!

After 2 months I would have taken everything to another shop. The shop I used to have my old YJ's 2.5 rebuilt had it done in just a week, ran like new afterward with no issues, there is absolutely 0 excuse for your shop.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #44
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

The head bolt holes are clean on the side of the head I've removed. I ran a bolt through all of them by hand and it went in smoothly. I'm going to install this head (whenever I get it back or a new one) first and then remove and put a new gasket on the other head using this one as a reference. I'm really leaning towards those ROL Xtreme head gaskets on Bulltear.com. Looks like they will seal well with the coated ports and SS rings. I'll definitely clean the the block out with several treatments of coolant cleaner. Hopefully that will be strong enough to remove some of the crud but not my gaskets or new pump and radiator.

On another note, I just called the shop that built my short block to find out the status on the head. He had no updates. They have it and have not gotten back to him yet. He also said it's a new machine shop he's trying so he doesn't know how long it will be. Yay!...

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Unread 01-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #45
4lowherewego
1979 CJ7 

File lawsuit YESTERDAY....

3 years on a motor, and they lost peices that you then had to replace. I'd make them DOUBLE reimburse you for everything.

BULL5HIT! No reason for any of this....
4lowherewego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.