Uh oh! Coolant from the header.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Uh oh! Coolant from the header..

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 01-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

Uh oh! Coolant from the header..

I'm finishing up the install of my rebuilt AMC360 and was putting coolant in it for the first time today. I have open headers installed and I noticed a constant drip out of passenger side header, it's coolant. I can see that it's coming down the inside of the passenger/front tube. I pulled the header off and stuck my finger in that exhaust port and felt a good bit of coolant in there. What am I looking at here? Head gasket, intake gasket?? Man, I was hoping to have this thing running by next month...

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Ohhh man! I sure hope it's not a cracked head!
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
Scooter402
1984 CJ7 

I'd say that's a head gasket issue...I had the same thing when the machine shop f-ed up drilling the steam holes in my heads for my SBC 402. I don't know if AMC engines have them, but you're looking at pulling the head back off.
Scooter402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

Dammit, now the other head is leaking! This one is leaking at the gasket, the exhaust ports are dry... CRAP!!! Just got off the phone with the guy that put together the short block for me. He wants me to re-torque the side that's leaking at the head gasket. For the other one leaking out of the exhaust port he wants me to remove the intake and head and bring him the head to check it. The tri-county area is going to have a beer shortage tonight cause I'ma gonna tie one on!

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Unread 01-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Man that stinks!
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
cmvash
1973 CJ5 

Since you have coolant on both sides it sounds like a botched gasket install. Surely if the head(s) were cracked they'd spot that during the rebuild.

But hey at least it leads to beer(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Zona- View Post
You know, vash, you don't poke your head around here to often- but when you do- you bring something win-worthy to the table.
cmvash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Mechanical skills were taught to me long ago by an old original hippie, when things went wrong he always said; "Sit back and drink a beer and think about it".
Unread 01-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

I re-torqued down the driver's side head that was dripping a little at the gasket and hooked up the pressure tester to the radiator and that one appears to be stopped. I went 5 lbs over the book torque requirement.

The passenger side head, however, during the pressure test spewed more coolant out of the front exhaust port. The same place it was coming from before as I expected. It was a steady stream. So, I disconnected everything from the intake and passenger head and pulled them out... man I hate tearing apart my engine again! Everything I have done is done very thoroughly, but it seems the work the guy did on the short block is sloppy to say the least! I took some pictures after pulling the head off to take to him. There was a lot of coolant sitting on top of all four pistons... I'll post some pics when I get home. Man I'm pissed at this whole thing... next time I'll do it myself.

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Unread 01-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Where have all the professionals gone? More and more over the years I'm having to do more of the wrenching (that I don't have time for) myself. I'm sorry for all of your trouble Baloo.
Unread 01-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
Baloo
Go Tigers!

1982 CJ7 

Here's the damage on one side..
screwed.jpg   screwed2.jpg  

Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Unread 01-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
Bakunin
1985 CJ7 

Wow!
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Look on the bright side, at least the rings seem to be holding a seal That's pretty wild, though. Did he even use the right head gasket?

Shawn
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
Alby63
1982 CJ5 

With the motor apart that far and being antifreeze contaminated the seal on the driver's side, I would play it safe and remove and replace that gasket as well. No sense in chancing it. The builder may not have wiped off the surfaces before installing the heads.
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
littlebuddie
1980 CJ7 

Are you able to check the head surfaces for warp?

[]=O=[]
littlebuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #15
cmvash
1973 CJ5 

Good god, are you sure there's even a gasket on that side?
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Zona- View Post
You know, vash, you don't poke your head around here to often- but when you do- you bring something win-worthy to the table.
cmvash is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.