JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Uh oh! Coolant from the header.. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/uh-oh-coolant-header-1156416/)

Baloo 01-20-2011 03:44 PM

Uh oh! Coolant from the header..

I'm finishing up the install of my rebuilt AMC360 and was putting coolant in it for the first time today. I have open headers installed and I noticed a constant drip out of passenger side header, it's coolant. I can see that it's coming down the inside of the passenger/front tube. I pulled the header off and stuck my finger in that exhaust port and felt a good bit of coolant in there. What am I looking at here? Head gasket, intake gasket?? Man, I was hoping to have this thing running by next month...

turbogus 01-20-2011 04:03 PM

Ohhh man! I sure hope it's not a cracked head!

Scooter402 01-20-2011 04:19 PM

I'd say that's a head gasket issue...I had the same thing when the machine shop f-ed up drilling the steam holes in my heads for my SBC 402. I don't know if AMC engines have them, but you're looking at pulling the head back off. :thumbdown:

Baloo 01-20-2011 04:37 PM

Dammit, now the other head is leaking! This one is leaking at the gasket, the exhaust ports are dry... CRAP!!! Just got off the phone with the guy that put together the short block for me. He wants me to re-torque the side that's leaking at the head gasket. For the other one leaking out of the exhaust port he wants me to remove the intake and head and bring him the head to check it. The tri-county area is going to have a beer shortage tonight cause I'ma gonna tie one on!

MoC 01-20-2011 05:41 PM

Man that stinks!

cmvash 01-20-2011 05:58 PM

Since you have coolant on both sides it sounds like a botched gasket install. Surely if the head(s) were cracked they'd spot that during the rebuild.

But hey at least it leads to beer(s).

:cheers2:

turbogus 01-21-2011 08:16 AM

Mechanical skills were taught to me long ago by an old original hippie, when things went wrong he always said; "Sit back and drink a beer and think about it".:cheers:

Baloo 01-22-2011 08:10 AM

I re-torqued down the driver's side head that was dripping a little at the gasket and hooked up the pressure tester to the radiator and that one appears to be stopped. I went 5 lbs over the book torque requirement.

The passenger side head, however, during the pressure test spewed more coolant out of the front exhaust port. The same place it was coming from before as I expected. It was a steady stream. So, I disconnected everything from the intake and passenger head and pulled them out... man I hate tearing apart my engine again! Everything I have done is done very thoroughly, but it seems the work the guy did on the short block is sloppy to say the least! I took some pictures after pulling the head off to take to him. There was a lot of coolant sitting on top of all four pistons... I'll post some pics when I get home. Man I'm pissed at this whole thing... next time I'll do it myself.

turbogus 01-22-2011 08:21 AM

Where have all the professionals gone? More and more over the years I'm having to do more of the wrenching (that I don't have time for) myself. I'm sorry for all of your trouble Baloo.

Baloo 01-22-2011 03:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the damage on one side..

Bakunin 01-22-2011 03:35 PM

Wow!

swatson454 01-22-2011 05:55 PM

Look on the bright side, at least the rings seem to be holding a seal ;) That's pretty wild, though. Did he even use the right head gasket?

Shawn

Alby63 01-22-2011 06:14 PM

With the motor apart that far and being antifreeze contaminated the seal on the driver's side, I would play it safe and remove and replace that gasket as well. No sense in chancing it. The builder may not have wiped off the surfaces before installing the heads.

littlebuddie 01-22-2011 07:44 PM

Are you able to check the head surfaces for warp?

cmvash 01-23-2011 12:03 AM

Good god, are you sure there's even a gasket on that side?

The time now is 07:56 PM.