Ugh...Power steering pump just blew... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ugh...Power steering pump just blew...

The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
Badkisson
1983 CJ7 

Ugh...Power steering pump just blew...

among all the other problems i need to get fixed the power steering pump just gave out....

got home from a short drive to notice power steering fluid gushing out...main leak is dripping from the pulley on the pump...

i'm pretty sure it's the original.....

what should I do? have it repaired? replace from a parts house?

i'm taking it somewhere probably this week if not monday to have some other issues fixed/looked at....horn, etc....just things i don't have time to do.

Badkisson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2015, 09:04 AM   #2
CSP

Replace from parts house. They aren't that expensive for a new one.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2015, 09:13 AM   #3
Badkisson
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Replace from parts house. They aren't that expensive for a new one.
well I'm wondering if there isn't some value in repairing the old one...i believe it's the original...???
Unread 05-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
CSP

How would there be value? This isn't a rare car that has VIN stamped parts on it. The replacements are identical.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
Badkisson
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
How would there be value? This isn't a rare car that has VIN stamped parts on it. The replacements are identical.
Well took your advice....at least half of it....

I bought a reman Cardone pump...just the pump...he took the old pump out and used the old tank from the original... and used the old pulley.

now on to other problems...he replaced the ICM with a BorgWarner...and still runs like crap...he thinks it's a problem in the distributor somewhere and was going to look into it more today/tomorrow.

another issue is the horn...he said there is a part that's corroded below the horn button inside the steering wheel and said he could easily replace it if he had the parts....i don't think he's got the time to scurry looking for odd 83CJ7 horn parts....

anyone have any recs on horn parts inside the steering column?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.