Ugg! Rugged Ridge "stock" length shackles actually 3/8" lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ugg! Rugged Ridge "stock" length shackles actually 3/8" lift

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 12-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
1984Laredo
1984 CJ7 

Ugg! Rugged Ridge "stock" length shackles actually 3/8" lift

Just got my new Rugged Ridge greasable shackles (made by Omix-Ada) in today. They were "supposed" to be stock length, but they actually measure 3.75" from bolt center to bolt center, which yields 3/8" lift.

I know 3/8" isn't much and is within the "acceptable range" for shackle lifts, but I was wanting stock length and thought I was getting it. I don't know why it's so hard to find stock length greasable shackles. Their website says nothing about these particular shackles providing any lift whatsoever. Oh well. Should have just ordered a greasable bolt and bushing kit and build my own stock length shackles. Sorry - just had to rant.

1984Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 01:07 AM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

So is there an inner sleeve? Or are the bolts a size larger than the stock ones and go straight into the poly bushings? You could use the new bushings and greasable bolts and drill out your old OEM shackle holes to accept the new bolts. Then you would have the stock 3 inch look, but greasable bolts and new bushings. Just a thought.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Stock bolts don't use an inner sleeve.

They are shoulder bolts and have a step to prevent too much pressure from being exerted on the bushings causing them to collapse.

Plus, factory shackles are kind of flimsy IMO.

To the OP: Don't forget that if the center distance from bolt to bolt is different than stock, you would get half of that in lift. They would have to be 3/4" longer to get 3/8" lift.
Unread 12-04-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Stock bolts don't use an inner sleeve.

They are shoulder bolts and have a step to prevent too much pressure from being exerted on the bushings causing them to collapse.
All the 'stock' ones I have seen have inner sleeves that are a serious pain to get out and swap over to the new set. There was a thread about that here yesterday or the day before even.

The stock shackles are just two plates, you need the sleeve to keep them the right distance apart. The bolts also have locknuts on them, the crimped oval 'one use' kind. I use loctite on them now.

I just put a new frame and spring bushings in mine last winter, thankfully mine had been greased well when installed back in 90, but those ones had to be burned out of the old rubbers back then to reuse them.

I have YJ shackles on right now that are 1" longer for a 1/2" lift. With my 2.5" spring lift that longer shackle puts me right at the edge of u-joint vibration and my steering is slow to center. If I run empty with no top or doors, it does rumble.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)

Last edited by Mike Romain; 12-04-2009 at 08:04 AM..
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
1984Laredo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
To the OP: Don't forget that if the center distance from bolt to bolt is different than stock, you would get half of that in lift. They would have to be 3/4" longer to get 3/8" lift.
That's what I had in my original post.

As far as the originals having the sleeve, I can't say because mine doesn't have the original shackles (thanks to the PO). The greasable bolts in my new shackles are larger and fit the inside of the prothane bushing.

I wasn't wanting lift shackles, but looks like I'll get them after all.

As an aside, I see numerous people saying that they use Anti-Seize on every nut and bolt on their Jeep to keep them from breaking (like my steering box bracket bolt did yesterday ). I also see recommendations to use Loctite on them. So, which one is best to use??
Unread 12-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

half of 3/8" isn't much, if any lift at all, really. you should be just fine.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984Laredo View Post

As an aside, I see numerous people saying that they use Anti-Seize on every nut and bolt on their Jeep to keep them from breaking (like my steering box bracket bolt did yesterday ). I also see recommendations to use Loctite on them. So, which one is best to use??
Depends on the part. Both products prevent rust from seizing the threads up.

If it is a moving part like a shackle or a body bushing nut and bolt, you want the nut locked on there so loctite is called for. Same for high vibration parts.

If it is a part that comes off regularly or never moves, like say the base of a spindle where it bolts to the steering knuckle or the face of an aluminum rim where it touches the steel brake drum or the front flange, you want lots of antiseize. Same for brake adjuster star wheels, fill em with antiseize. The adjuster cable benefits from this also.

Steering box bolts got loctite and I still snapped the damn box off this spring. Turns out my new frame and the new PS pump bracket was weak there. I now have a rugged ridge brace over to the passenger side on my steering box that seems to do the job. It was a PITA to install though, they sent the wrong bolts and I live way out in the bush.

Dash nuts and bolts get loctite, they vibrate loose on mine otherwise.

There are different grades of loctite. I use the blue stuff that releases under torque. Some of them need a torch to let them loose, I don't have many places it would be safe to torch...

In my build last winter, every nut and bolt got one or the other. Used a whole tube of blue loctite and about a half a tub of antiseize. Missed one tub bushing bolt, put it in later after my loctite was empty and sure enough, lost that nut and bolt this summer on my dirt driveway someplace.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 12-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #8
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I just changed my front shackles yesterday from what appeared to be stock and there were no sleeves on the bolts.

The bolts were 1/2" diameter and necked down to 3/8-16 thread. That neck down prevents the bolts from squishing the bushings too tight.

I know they are stock shackles because they are welded to one side of the shackle and form a sideways "U" shape. I was surprised on how small the OEM nuts were.

I'll post a pic if you don't believe me.
Unread 12-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I just changed my front shackles yesterday from what appeared to be stock and there were no sleeves on the bolts.

The bolts were 1/2" diameter and necked down to 3/8-16 thread. That neck down prevents the bolts from squishing the bushings too tight.

I know they are stock shackles because they are welded to one side of the shackle and form a sideways "U" shape. I was surprised on how small the OEM nuts were.

I'll post a pic if you don't believe me.
Apples and Oranges....

The later shackles are two independent plates with a loose bolt going between them at the top and at the bottom sandwiching the bushing. They can easily be overtightened with no spacer tubes in them to the point the Jeep won't flex at all.

These stock ones use a stainless sleeve to hold the distance and a locknut to stop them from backing off.
Unread 12-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
1984Laredo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
half of 3/8" isn't much, if any lift at all, really. you should be just fine.

Hoss
It's not half of 3/8". It says in the original post that the shackles are 3.75" from bolt center to bolt center. The stock shackles were 3" from bolt center to bolt center. So it's half of 3/4" (the difference in stock versus these), which yields 3/8" lift.

Loctite it is then. Thanks.
Unread 12-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #11
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Apples and Oranges....

The later shackles are two independent plates with a loose bolt going between them at the top and at the bottom sandwiching the bushing. They can easily be overtightened with no spacer tubes in them to the point the Jeep won't flex at all.

These stock ones use a stainless sleeve to hold the distance and a locknut to stop them from backing off.
Well, that would explain it then.

Unread 12-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #12
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984Laredo View Post
It's not half of 3/8". It says in the original post that the shackles are 3.75" from bolt center to bolt center. The stock shackles were 3" from bolt center to bolt center. So it's half of 3/4" (the difference in stock versus these), which yields 3/8" lift.

Loctite it is then. Thanks.
even 3/8" should be barely noticable- I still think you'll be just fine with them.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #13
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
even 3/8" should be barely noticable- I still think you'll be just fine with them.
Ditto. I still have stock on the rear and the 3/8 lift on the front and can't tell at all.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
1984Laredo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwa_fcva View Post
Ditto. I still have stock on the rear and the 3/8 lift on the front and can't tell at all.
Great! Thanks everyone!
Unread 12-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #15
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

If the bolts are sleeved, can/would you use greasable bolts?
Warrior sent me shackles, greasable bolts, bushings and sleeves. There was NO WAY the sleeves were going in the bushings. Way too tight. Then I realized, that the sleeve would just move on the bolt, and lithium grease would never hit the bushing. The 1-3/8" shackles have a huge cross-bar in the middle so I imagine flex will not be a big issue.
Is this corrrect?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.