Dave it's getting a 3.8L V6 with a 4L60E trans. We had been going to use the other tub but, it was going to be too big a job fixing holes. I mean there was no rust in the tub just GIANT holes where the rust used to be.
So we had another look over the one in these pictures, the one I sold to my friend when I got the red one and wow what a difference! What I thought was going to be a PITA to repair now looks like a near mint condition tub. It will make the whole project work much better.
So the plan is:
1. tub off tomorrow night and onto the rotisserie we made last weekend complete with dash, roll bar, steering assembly
2. engine out and into the back of my ute to go to the red CJ8 up north a bit (yes it's going into that jeep since its donk it toast)
3. tub stripped out ready for blast, repair and paint
4. remaining drive train out
5. chassis clean down, inspect, fiddle around a bit, and paint
6. install reconditioned springs from the rusty 8 ( these had been dismantled reset, painted and reinstalled about 3000ks ago and will be perfect) they are 8 leaf with military wraps etc and don't bounce around and ride like a "hay wagon" as Dave puts it like some of the aftermarket ones do.
7. blah blah blah
Great to see some movement on this thing, it's been a while. Whilst all this is going on we'll get the engine/trans married up to the transfer case with the Advance Adaptors kit which came in the mail a coupe of weeks ago. Drop that all into the freshly prettied up frame and see what we need to do in the way of engine mount and so on. D300 is our datum nd we'll move forward from there keeping all out drive shafts etc intact although I suspect they'll need to be replaced with something a bit beefier.
Anyway gotta go feed the kiddies.
Wrenching begins 5:15
And earlier today a quick lap down to the sea