Twin white CJ8s project. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Twin white CJ8s project.

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 09-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #16
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzo View Post
Hey folks I've posted a thread in the for sale forum for one of the world cab tops for the Overlander. The pointy frame doors will go with it. Thought this would be a good place to tell about it. Hope no one minds.

Attachment 660600

Oh No!! Why? Seems like you should just find a spot in the garage for it, you know someday you'll wish you had it, and it'll be impossible to recover!

walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm

Oh No!! Why? Seems like you should just find a spot in the garage for it, you know someday you'll wish you had it, and it'll be impossible to recover!
This one I sold to my friend for his rebuild, he has the two white ones and doesnt care for the heavy tin top. I still have mine all tucked up safe high in the pallet racking in my shop for exactly the reason you mention

image-2494886100.jpg

Quote from a friend:
"How many jeeps do you actually want?
That however was a silly question because we already know the answer is all of them!"
gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #18
1983 CJ7 

Neat project Gary, what are the details on the engine?
Unread 09-02-2013, 03:15 AM   #19
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Dave it's getting a 3.8L V6 with a 4L60E trans. We had been going to use the other tub but, it was going to be too big a job fixing holes. I mean there was no rust in the tub just GIANT holes where the rust used to be.

So we had another look over the one in these pictures, the one I sold to my friend when I got the red one and wow what a difference! What I thought was going to be a PITA to repair now looks like a near mint condition tub. It will make the whole project work much better.

So the plan is:
1. tub off tomorrow night and onto the rotisserie we made last weekend complete with dash, roll bar, steering assembly
2. engine out and into the back of my ute to go to the red CJ8 up north a bit (yes it's going into that jeep since its donk it toast)
3. tub stripped out ready for blast, repair and paint
4. remaining drive train out
5. chassis clean down, inspect, fiddle around a bit, and paint
6. install reconditioned springs from the rusty 8 ( these had been dismantled reset, painted and reinstalled about 3000ks ago and will be perfect) they are 8 leaf with military wraps etc and don't bounce around and ride like a "hay wagon" as Dave puts it like some of the aftermarket ones do.
7. blah blah blah
Great to see some movement on this thing, it's been a while. Whilst all this is going on we'll get the engine/trans married up to the transfer case with the Advance Adaptors kit which came in the mail a coupe of weeks ago. Drop that all into the freshly prettied up frame and see what we need to do in the way of engine mount and so on. D300 is our datum nd we'll move forward from there keeping all out drive shafts etc intact although I suspect they'll need to be replaced with something a bit beefier.

Anyway gotta go feed the kiddies.

image-4233447688.jpg

Wrenching begins 5:15

Ends 6:30

image-2282665547.jpg

And earlier today a quick lap down to the sea

image-1158178269.jpg

Quote from a friend:
That however was a silly question because we already know the answer is all of them!"
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #20
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

So we got more wrenching done last night and as well as finding some pretty good steel we found a classic case of PO fiddlery, see if you can spot it.
Tub came off easy and is surprisingly good.

Being able to stand IN the footwells and work on wiring makes life a breeze, long live the rotisserie.

Underneath we found loads of grease from uni joints flung everywhere as well as a nice preserving paste of dirt (not sand) and dust glued together with oil leaks from the engine and trans over the years. The chassis is prime!

And last but not least that PO moment I mentioned.
img_4161.jpg   img_4162.jpg   img_4163.jpg   img_4166.jpg   img_4167.jpg  

img_4169.jpg

img_4171.jpg

Quote from a friend:
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #21
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Well this all looks like a nice way to spend a Saturday.

image-2578691937.jpg

Lets See how we go getting the 4L60E onto the 300

Quote from a friend:
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #22
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Yikes. Stuck trying to get this
image-2605202831.jpg
off the shaft. Got a lot of force on the puller and would hate to see the flange break off. Any ideas anyone? Thinnin I'll crank up the oxy and put some heat into the TR bearing.

Edit: AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!
image-2781121481.jpg

Quote from a friend:
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #23
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Yesterday was one of mixed results. Tear down of the transfer case went ok until I busted the flange on the output shaft housing. That was devastating. Not sure what I'm gunna do about that. Looks like I need a press.

After that debacle I went back to the tub. Pulled the rest of the roll cage bolts by welding nuts on
image-1876969921.jpg
Did a bit of exploratory flap disc surgery and wasn't overly disappointed with what we found
image-3406870442.jpg

So then we got our floor pan out and within minutes decided there was no way this was going to be contributing to this build. Pretty hard to find acceptable similarities between the new one and the original.
Trans access hatch:
image-1786756626.jpg
image-3963670097.jpg

Floor strengthening ribs:
image-1286823837.jpg
image-1235007497.jpg

Random underfloor selection: missing nuts and so on
image-2555399046.jpg
image-188521802.jpg

General over all:
image-2172568590.jpg

Reckon we might go with previous suggestions in this thread and check out Classic Enterprises panels.

Quote from a friend:
Unread 09-20-2013, 02:35 AM   #24
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Hey folks I don't spose anyone has any ideas as to why this
image-3253768632.jpg
won't pull off like it says it should in the manual?
I broke part of the casting so I'm on the hunt for a replacement

Quote from a friend:
Unread 09-20-2013, 03:58 AM   #25
y2k-fxst

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzo View Post
Yikes. Stuck trying to get this
Attachment 674657
off the shaft. Got a lot of force on the puller and would hate to see the flange break off. Any ideas anyone? Thinnin I'll crank up the oxy and put some heat into the TR bearing.

Edit: AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!
Attachment 674665
Did you release the snap ring around the support bearing inside the extension? Most transmissions I have work on have an external snap ring that you access by removing a plate usually hed in place by 2 allen head screws at the transmissin mount. should be in the top picture on the left side.
Unread 09-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #26
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k-fxst
Did you release the snap ring around the support bearing inside the extension? Most transmissions I have work on have an external snap ring that you access by removing a plate usually hed in place by 2 allen head screws at the transmissin mount. should be in the top picture on the left side.
There's no snap ring there, it looks like moisture has wicked along the spline and possibly rusted the bearing inner on to the shaft. Gunna need a press ( and a new housing) D'oh!

Quote from a friend:
Unread 09-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #27
1983 CJ7 

Sorry to see that Gary, hopefully you can find another housing without having to order outside the country.
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #28
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243
Sorry to see that Gary, hopefully you can find another housing without having to order outside the country.
Yeah Dave the worst part I shouldn't even had touched the tc. It is perfect inside. 30 years it's been going around and I go and break it for no good reason.

Quote from a friend:
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #29
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Dana 300 ? Rear or front?
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 01:31 AM   #30
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybooster2
Dana 300 ? Rear or front?
D300 and it's the front from memory. I'm 1000 miles away from it right now. I'll post Wednesday on that.

Quote from a friend:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.