Twin white CJ8s project. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Twin white CJ8s project.

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Twin white CJ8s project.

Some background on the project for you blokes. I have sold my first Scrambler to a mate who already has exactly the same vehicle. The plan is to get him back on the road in a registered CJ and then over time rebuild the other one most likely with a diesel/auto power train. So yesterday we got her all fired up and fangin around the paddock and the end of the street. Went surprisingly well given it hasn't run for quite a few years. Today it was a wheels swap and some other small stuff, sun visors etc and a general clean out.
We found many large cavities. There was no rust thankfully just great big holes where it used to be.
image-1240964914.jpg

image-617040259.jpg

image-4140135067.jpg

And small pile of CJ underneath
image-1940699934.jpg

So my question is where do we get good new repro body parts keeping in mind we are closer to the Philipines than we are to you?
We will make this one safe and sealed and inconspicuous to the constabulary so he can drive a CJ whilst he goes the full 9 yards on the other one.

So what do you think? Where do the good sections come from?

image-988200732.jpg

Quote from a friend:
"How many jeeps do you actually want?
That however was a silly question because we already know the answer is all of them!"
gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

The MD Juan Company in the Philippines makes CJ-8 tubs but quality is far from superior. The steel is OK, but the hand fitment to match OEM body lines leaves something to desire. They make them in stainless as well and you could probably get them cheaper there than in the US.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 04:28 AM   #3
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

The twins have moved into their temporary home. This is our new workshop next door which needs a lot more remodeling before we can start working in there. I had to get the jeeps out of the way so I thought it would be a good spot for them

image-687295810.jpg

image-2304918001.jpg

image-4268367189.jpg

Quote from a friend:
That however was a silly question because we already know the answer is all of them!"
Unread 12-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
JeepScrambler
1985 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzo View Post

So my question is where do we get good new repro body parts keeping in mind we are closer to the Philipines than we are to you?
We will make this one safe and sealed and inconspicuous to the constabulary so he can drive a CJ whilst he goes the full 9 yards on the other one.

So what do you think? Where do the good sections come from?
Classic Enterprises makes the best quality replacement panels on the market that I have ever used. The quality and fitment are far superior to anything else out there. I have also used the front floor panels and underseat replacement panels made by Key Parts Inc.. These panels are exact matches to the factory floor pans; definitely the best replacement floor panels I have ever found. I just got done using these floor panels and some Classic Enterprises pieces in one of my '84 CJ8 Alaskan Postal Scramblers and am very happy with the results.

Classic Enterprises: http://www.classicent.com/

Key Parts Inc. floor panels: http://www.quadratec.com/products/22507_0100.htm

Individual floor panel part numbers:
Left front floor panel: 0480-225L
Right front floor panel: 0480-226R
Left underseat panel: 0480-227L
Right underseat panel: 0480-228R

You can use these part numbers to shop around and find the best prices for the panels.

I also used these side / quarter panels on one of my Alaskan Postal CJ-8 from Omix-Ada. The fitment was okay at best but there are not any better options out there. The wheel well area where there is the raised lip appears to be hand formed and does not match the original wheel well contour exactly. The top lip on the tub ledge for the replacement panel does not match the contour of the original panel. I would recommend using as much of the replacement panels top lip to get the seam where you weld the new panel to the body tub as far forward as you can towards to door opening to make it less noticeable. If the tub lip on your original panels are not damaged you could cut the panel off right below the lip and weld the new panel in here, thus letting you retain the original tub lip and avoid the fitment issues. But it will require a significant more amount of welding. I tried talking to Classic Enterprises about making a replacement panel for Scrambler's that consisted of the raised lip portion around the rear wheel where the wheel well meets the quarter panel and the fender flares attach along with having a few inches of metal around this area since most Scramblers do not need an entire quarter panel replacement. They told me there wouldn't be any demand for Scrambler specific parts. To bad, I know I could use at least 6 of them!

Side panel part numbers to search for prices:

Hope that helps!
'06 Grand Cherokee "Overland"
JeepScrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScrambler

Classic Enterprises makes the best quality replacement panels on the market that I have ever used. The quality and fitment are far superior to anything else out there. I have also used the front floor panels and underseat replacement panels made by Key Parts Inc.. These panels are exact matches to the factory floor pans; definitely the best replacement floor panels I have ever found. I just got done using these floor panels and some Classic Enterprises pieces in one of my '84 CJ8 Alaskan Postal Scramblers and am very happy with the results.

Classic Enterprises: http://www.classicent.com/

Key Parts Inc. floor panels: http://www.quadratec.com/products/22507_0100.htm

Individual floor panel part numbers:
Left front floor panel: 0480-225L
Right front floor panel: 0480-226R
Left underseat panel: 0480-227L
Right underseat panel: 0480-228R

You can use these part numbers to shop around and find the best prices for the panels.

I also used these side / quarter panels on one of my Alaskan Postal CJ-8 from Omix-Ada. The fitment was okay at best but there are not any better options out there. The wheel well area where there is the raised lip appears to be hand formed and does not match the original wheel well contour exactly. The top lip on the tub ledge for the replacement panel does not match the contour of the original panel. I would recommend using as much of the replacement panels top lip to get the seam where you weld the new panel to the body tub as far forward as you can towards to door opening to make it less noticeable. If the tub lip on your original panels are not damaged you could cut the panel off right below the lip and weld the new panel in here, thus letting you retain the original tub lip and avoid the fitment issues. But it will require a significant more amount of welding. I tried talking to Classic Enterprises about making a replacement panel for Scrambler's that consisted of the raised lip portion around the rear wheel where the wheel well meets the quarter panel and the fender flares attach along with having a few inches of metal around this area since most Scramblers do not need an entire quarter panel replacement. They told me there wouldn't be any demand for Scrambler specific parts. To bad, I know I could use at least 6 of them!

Side panel part numbers to search for prices:

Hope that helps!
Thanks very much for all that info. That'll be helpful for sure. MDJuan has an appointed distributor here in Oz but he's not being real helpful so far so we'll look into these options. Thanks again.

Quote from a friend:
Unread 12-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
GPERSCREEPERS99

www.aqualu.com While its not a 100% accurate since it aluminum and somethings are a little different from the original...but quality is better then the MD Juan stuff. I was thinking of going this route but I bought all the panels from Classic Enterprises to fix my tub. Starting to regret the decision though.
12 Grand Cherokee Wife's Daily Driver
GPERSCREEPERS99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

So today we got wrenching. Got the tub off and put up outta the way
image-92989528.jpg

Cleaned down the frame somewhat. Very nice to see perfect condition, no rot or even original paint coming off anywhere.
We then tore out the T5 and D300. They will go into my red 8 which has the worlds second slowest 999 auto (the slowest 999 is in the other white one) Power sucking things those particular autos I reckon and when you don't have much to start with it can be a problem
image-3061762998.jpg

If I'm not too messed up tomorrow from the wedding I'm about to go to I'll start on the "from underneath" removal of the 999 and t case from the red one. Plan on buying four ramps and driving it up on all four at once to give me some room to manoova. Can't wait to drive this think with a manual, reckon it'll be like night and day.

The official plan for the white one is to insert a 3.8L V6 with a 4L60 auto and all the trimmings with an Advance Adaptors kit. Should be sweet as for this guys DD and country cruiser when he goes down south.

Quote from a friend:
Unread 02-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
W7NB
Educated Redneck

2013 JK Wrangler 

Gary, that looks like it will be one hell of a project!

Curious why the Jeep addiction living down under. It seems like Toyota's are far easier to get parts for and have some awesome diesel fuel options in your part of the world that we can't touch here. I have to imagine Jeep parts are a bit of a challenge.

1985 CJ7 With HO 4.0 Conversion
2013 JK
W7NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by W7NB
Gary, that looks like it will be one hell of a project!

Curious why the Jeep addiction living down under. It seems like Toyota's are far easier to get parts for and have some awesome diesel fuel options in your part of the world that we can't touch here. I have to imagine Jeep parts are a bit of a challenge.
Toyota! Pffft! That's a work vehicle. We get our parts from USand pay abit for freight

Quote from a friend:
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

holy crap, is it only scramblers over there! I am jealous.
'79 CJ7 stock, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I used Marvel once before I took my Jeep out on the trails. I didn't get stuck all weekend so I guess it works.
SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsCrawlin7
holy crap, is it only scramblers over there! I am jealous.
I think only 27000 were made, is that right? Well my mates and I have four of them, that's 26996 to go!

Quote from a friend:
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

So today we picked up the new donk and trans for the 8. Some long evenings coming up.
Pretty exciting stuff.

image-4026233228.jpg

Quote from a friend:
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Hey folks I've posted a thread in the for sale forum for one of the world cab tops for the Overlander. The pointy frame doors will go with it. Thought this would be a good place to tell about it. Hope no one minds.

image-2743351788.jpg

Quote from a friend:
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

For a second i thought you were selling one of the CJ8's and i was going to have to come visit you..... You dodged a bullet there
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
W7NB
Educated Redneck

2013 JK Wrangler 

I love the bottle on the fender Good day on the sand eh?

1985 CJ7 With HO 4.0 Conversion
2013 JK
W7NB is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.