Turtle71's 83 CJ7 project - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Turtle71's 83 CJ7 project

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #121
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

You might ask why we didnt go ahead with the OME leafs? After all, we had the old ones partially disconnected. Heres the predicament I am in at the moment.

Since time and money are both factors, I decided to look for some axles already geared the way I wanted. I found some axles with 4.10 gearing. We agreed on a price that the seller suggested. Then when the time came for me to get them, he made excuses for not being available and then would not respond. I found out recently that he is still trying to sell the whole lot of disassembled parts he has as a whole. Since I can't find any axles, I can't run 33's. If I can't run 33's, I don't need the 2.5" OME leafs yet. Hence have taken a bit of a detour from the original plan with the suspension.

After getting rid of the PO's hack job on the rear crossmember, giant rear shackles and lack of rear body bushings, we took it for a drive. Although the ride was slightly improved and obviously safer, it was still quite rough. We decided new shocks were in order. Found some that were budget friendly on rockauto.com.

After install we were pleasantly surprised at what a difference they made in the ride.

Here is how it sits. A little higher in the front at least. Not exactly sure of how everything ended up until I take another measurement.

Unread 07-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #122
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle71

Thanks....Its just a replacement crossmember from morris4x4. But anything looks better than what was on there.
Ahh okay I see, I know how that is mine had 2 plates welded to the ends of the frame and a 1 inch thick solid square bar tied them together and had a ball welded on in the middle and looked extremely safe :haha:
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #123
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

The next thing we want to tackle is the steering. When driving, it seems to have a slight delay when turning the wheel one way or another. It has a 1 inch body lift and YJ rear shackles but I am not sure about the leafs. As mentioned earlier, when I got the Jeep it had Rancho shocks but I could not find any marking on the leafs. I am pretty sure they are stock.

What I am getting at is I don't know if the reason for my steering issues is the caster problem I have read about when a CJ has a suspension lift. I'm sure the tie rod end could use replacing, but I just greased them for the moment. I also made sure the steering box bracket was tight.

I am begining to wonder if these may be a factor in the steering delay? What do you guys think???

If these are like the shocks were then they are shot. Could they cause something like I described? Would I better off without them?
Unread 07-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #124
Blue83CJ7
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
The next thing we want to tackle is the steering. When driving, it seems to have a slight delay when turning the wheel one way or another. It has a 1 inch body lift and YJ rear shackles but I am not sure about the leafs. As mentioned earlier, when I got the Jeep it had Rancho shocks but I could not find any marking on the leafs. I am pretty sure they are stock.

What I am getting at is I don't know if the reason for my steering issues is the caster problem I have read about when a CJ has a suspension lift. I'm sure the tie rod end could use replacing, but I just greased them for the moment. I also made sure the steering box bracket was tight.

I am begining to wonder if these may be a factor in the steering delay? What do you guys think???

If these are like the shocks were then they are shot. Could they cause something like I described? Would I better off without them?
I would check the joints in your steering shaft, and also check your shackle bushings and or front shackle hangers.

When I turn my wheel, I can see the whole body shift from left to right over the axle before it starts turning the wheel, and the shackles do like below, which i think that's a combination of bushings and hangers being worn and I might order front crabtrees to fix it (after I try welding the stock ones and butcher them to try to save money, then realize I shoulda just bought crabtrees)

Turn Center Turn
// // || || \\ \\
Unread 07-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #125
Blue83CJ7
1980 CJ7 

Also your sway bar bushings look pretty beat, but that shouldn't cause this problem... Might start clunking when you hit bumps though
Unread 07-20-2012, 04:44 AM   #126
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue83CJ7 View Post
I would check the joints in your steering shaft, and also check your shackle bushings and or front shackle hangers.

When I turn my wheel, I can see the whole body shift from left to right over the axle before it starts turning the wheel, and the shackles do like below, which i think that's a combination of bushings and hangers being worn and I might order front crabtrees to fix it (after I try welding the stock ones and butcher them to try to save money, then realize I shoulda just bought crabtrees)

Turn Center Turn
// // || || \\ \\
Thanks Blue. Is there any best way to check the steering shaft joints? I twisted it by hand and the upper joint seemed to be ok. Will have to recheck. Although the front shackles/bushings are not near as long bolt to bolt as the rears were, I had not noticed if they are moving as you described or not. Will check them also.
Unread 07-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #127
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Will definitely be getting around to all the front end bushings soon. I might just remove the front stabilizer shocks this weekend and see if it helps. Any opinions on this?
Unread 07-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #128
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Will definitely be getting around to all the front end bushings soon. I might just remove the front stabilizer shocks this weekend and see if it helps. Any opinions on this?
Couldn't hurt, your drag link is flat enough you shouldn't have any bump steer anyways.
Unread 07-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #129
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstickd20 View Post
Couldn't hurt, your drag link is flat enough you shouldn't have any bump steer anyways.
Thats what I was thinking. Will give it a try tomorrow.
Unread 07-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #130
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Just putting new bushings up front will make a huge difference in the handling. You surely don't need dual stabilizers.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #131
CTIIpilot

Congrats, great deal for $800
CTIIpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #132
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Just catching up, great progress! I would ditch the duel stabilizers as well, will make it easier to hunt down the problem.

The stabilizers are just a band aide that covers up the problem. I run 36's swamper tsl sx's, 4.5 " spring lift, 1 " body lift, 4 inch drop pitman arm, big daddy tie rod and drag link flipped and can 1 finger at 55 with no stabilizer. All my bushings have been replaced, shocks, my perches moved to fix caster. No bump steer, no wander. Drives better now than when I got it all stock with 31's.
Unread 07-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #133
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTIIpilot View Post
Congrats, great deal for $800
Thanks CTII!
Unread 07-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #134
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Just catching up, great progress! I would ditch the duel stabilizers as well, will make it easier to hunt down the problem.

The stabilizers are just a band aide that covers up the problem. I run 36's swamper tsl sx's, 4.5 " spring lift, 1 " body lift, 4 inch drop pitman arm, big daddy tie rod and drag link flipped and can 1 finger at 55 with no stabilizer. All my bushings have been replaced, shocks, my perches moved to fix caster. No bump steer, no wander. Drives better now than when I got it all stock with 31's.
Thanks MoC! I hope to get mine to perform like yours. I removed the dual stabilizer setup this morning.

It looks a lot less cluttered/junky now.

I checked the front shackles for any movement while turning the wheel and they checked out good. Then I made sure all the tie rod ends were greased and took it for a spin. Steering seems to have improved although some delay is still there and the steering wheel does not return to center. This is my first jeep so I am not sure what is considered normal. Maybe some steering delay is to be expected, but should I be having the "not returning to center" issue with basically no suspension lift???
Unread 07-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #135
1983 CJ7 

It looks real good, I will need to replace my springs down the road since they have sagged quite a bit.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.