Turtle71's 83 CJ7 project - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Turtle71's 83 CJ7 project

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #106
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I'm going to assume you're kinda new to welding and offer a tip that'll make things goes better when you do get to the point of having your welding done for you.

Wherever you plan to have anything welded back to the frame make certain every bit of metal where the welds will be is clean and bare metal. It takes time for anyone to grind the old paint or rust off or remove the grease and you can do that yourself. You do all the prep work and it'll save you time and money later whether you take it to Scott's or a welding shop.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #107
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the tip. Will make sure to do that when the time comes. Wish I knew how to weld...and had a welder.

Any tips on how to cut off the old welded on shackle hangers, and what to use? Then I am wondering if the captured nuts are gone back there. Will find out this weekend.
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #108
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

A 4" or a 4.5" grinder works pretty good. If you can get to the weld! Use a cutting or grinding disc. Both are useful. If you don't have one it is a good tool to own which will be necessary at some point on your repairs. You can get a fairly decent one at Lowes, etc, for around $50. Grind the welds down to the frame. Take a small shop hammer (small sledge 3-5#, also called a BFH!) and bang on it until the remaining weld bead breaks loose. Then clean up the leftover with your grinder. Use a face shield when grinding. You don't have to use a high-end or fancy tool. Use the grinder to clean up all the frame around the hanger area. Priming bare metal seems like a good idea, but it is not vapor proof, and the metal can still rust. Don't prep the metal and leave it sit for 2 or 3 days... it will rust again!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #109
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

You are right about getting to the weld since it is sandwiched between the shackle hanger and the frame. The cutting disc idea sounds like it will be the way to go.
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #110
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

We have done a few things so figured I should update this thread. While surfing the net, I came upon what appears to be the same SRS as the PO installed on our CJ: http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_cj_..._reversal.html

Since funds are tight, we are going to have to complete the suspension upgrade in stages. First, I needed to address the rear crossmember where the PO welded some angle iron to it and attached it directly to the body, which resulted in a crack shown here:

We dropped the tank so we didnt have to worry about sparks, etc.

I knew we would need to install body mounts between the new crossmember and body. Decided a while ago that I wanted to do a 1" Daystar body lift, so this seemed like a good time to do that. We unbolted the angle iron from the body, and used a cutting disc on the grinder to cut the welds between the angle iron and the crossmember.

And off it came

After using PB blaster on all the body mount bolts for several days, we proceeded with the 1" body lift. The first bolt came out easy, 5 broke and had to be drilled out and the remaining 2 were missing. Used a 2x4 and a bottle jack under each side to lift the body, remove and install the new body bushings. Sorry, forgot the camera that day so no pics.

As can be seen here, it looked as though the PO had cut the original crossmember on the outside of either frame rail.

I assume this was done to remove damaged ends from improper pulls etc. The remaining crossmember was bent in spots as well. I used a cutting disc to cut out sections of the crossmember so I could get to the welds attaching it to the frame rails. I didnt get pics of the process, but here is the end result.

Removed the monster rear shackles. These things were 6.5" bolt to bolt and the bushings were pretty worn.

With a combination of me on the cutting disc and Dad on the acetylene torch, we removed the welded on shackle hangers.

Next will be installing the new rear crossmember, which will be with beefy frame rail tie ins from Groundpounder Fab (Thanks Eddie!) along with the original ones until I can get it to a welder. Another thing I am expecting in the mail are some YJ conversion shackle hangers and shackles from Crabtree. Jim has been extremely helpful and patient with all my questions. Grade A customer service! Thanks Jim!

I am planning on running the new rear hangers and front and rear shackles with the current suspension until we can get the OME springs and shocks. Hopefully it will feel a little better with these improvements in the meantime.
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #111
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

This is great progress. It's like pulling a big Tick off your dog! Way to go Dad, too!! It's cool that you are getting parts from JF members. Keep up the good work...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 05-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #112
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
This is great progress. It's like pulling a big Tick off your dog! Way to go Dad, too!! It's cool that you are getting parts from JF members. Keep up the good work...
I like the tick analogy! When the parts arrive and time allows, I will give the CJ some good food and get it to feeling better.
Unread 05-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #113
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Getting rid of what's in the way! Good work. Something to be carful of when you weld the rear crossmember on is to not get it too far forward. The shackle hangers are made to fit over the rear crossmember but if it is too far forward the relief cuts won't be enough. If you put it where the factory one was everything will be fine though.

Parts are on the way.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #114
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Thanks Jim. We have mocked up the new crossmember for a test fit and it looks like it will line up with the body very well. Since we are just bolting it on at first we will be able to to make sure everything fits correctly when we install the hangers, etc. Looking forward to the parts!
Unread 06-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #115
scott-cj7
1984 CJ7 

Wow $800!! What an awesome deal!
You guys are doing really great work! Keep it up!
scott-cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #116
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott-cj7 View Post
Wow $800!! What an awesome deal!
You guys are doing really great work! Keep it up!
Thanks Scott! The parts have long since arrived and we have made some progress.

The Crabtree Shackles and Hangers arrived. Precision craftsmanship, made in the USA! Shot them with some paint. Pictures do not so them justice.

Also received some frame rail tie ins from Besrk. These these things are heavy duty as well. Both Jim Crabtree and Eddie supplied great hardware kits with their stuff. Mocked them up and assembled them along with the factory tie ins.

Since the tank was dropped I decided to check the sending unit to see if it was the cause of my fuel gauge not working. This is what I found.

As you can see, its full of gas. So, I ordered a Ford brass float and installed it when it arrived.

Next was the new crossmember, rear body bushings, fuel tank and skid plate. Finished up by connecting the new shackles to the leafs.

Unread 07-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #117
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Nice stuff Turtle. Looking very good.

Unread 07-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #118
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

That does look nice! Is that the genright bumper/ crossmember?
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #119
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Nice stuff Turtle. Looking very good.
Thank you sir! I am trying to catch up on Clay's build when I have the time...looking great over there!
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #120
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstickd20 View Post
That does look nice! Is that the genright bumper/ crossmember?
Thanks....Its just a replacement crossmember from morris4x4. But anything looks better than what was on there.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.