Turtle71's 83 CJ7 project - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Turtle71's 83 CJ7 project

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #91
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

It looks like a homebrew rear crossmember. You would be better off removing it and installing a factory style... IMO. Also, I see that your PO did use factory shackle hangers in the rear. I couldn't see that in the other post, and I thought it was all hanging by a welded bolt. As Coace pointed out, that crossmember is causing your body to crack. The thing you have to consider is that when you start changing things it could cause other things to go awry. The crossmember should go away to at least save your tub. The tall shackles should go away to improve your handling. Any welded part can be cut off with a minimum of a grinder. Just grind away the welds and beat on it with a BFH. You SHOULD be able to bolt on new parts, like Crabtree's shackle hangers. Somebody else is going to have to chime in on the front suspension. The rear spring hangers for the front springs is a real piece of work!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #92
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

A new rear crossmember is definitely in order, which would need to be welded on, correct? Looks like I will need to remove most of the body bolts to the frame when I replace it. Might be a good time to install new body bushings (which seem to be missing in the rear) or a 1" body lift.

I probably should drop the gas tank first to see what is going on back there with that angle iron the PO welded in.
Unread 04-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #93
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

I wouldn't worry about the gear box skid, It will only bend and its not a great addition, so your not loosing much if anything.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #94
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

You are preparing to embark on a voyage that has no end! Kind of exciting!! Yep, drop the tank. Gives you a better perspective back there, and makes it easier to work. The rear crossmember does not have to be welded on. It can be bolted, but many of us, including myself, have welded theirs. Have you thought about expenses and time involved?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 04-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #95
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Is the front portion of the SRS bolted to the frame or is it also welded? If you are going to have to farm out the welding portion, you could easily go back to OEM suspension. You can get new main eye hangers that could be bolted and welded in the correct location. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/main-ey...r-8127712.html
Unread 04-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #96
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
You are preparing to embark on a voyage that has no end! Kind of exciting!! Yep, drop the tank. Gives you a better perspective back there, and makes it easier to work. The rear crossmember does not have to be welded on. It can be bolted, but many of us, including myself, have welded theirs. Have you thought about expenses and time involved?
Thats good news being able to bolt on the crossmember. We would prefer to weld but we are try to do as much work as we can ourselves. I figure the new suspension will be the most expensive stuff I have bought for the Jeep so far....and I have learned as a rule of thumb, everything takes at least 2 to 3x the amount of time I think it will....or were you making a different point?
Unread 04-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #97
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Is the front portion of the SRS bolted to the frame or is it also welded? If you are going to have to farm out the welding portion, you could easily go back to OEM suspension. You can get new main eye hangers that could be bolted and welded in the correct location. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/main-ey...r-8127712.html
I believe they are just bolted on. Dad shot and sent those pics to me today since the Jeep is at his house across town. Thats more good news on the bolt in stuff. I could probably go back and weld some of these things later. Thanks for that link, I was going to look for those.
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #98
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Do not rely on JUST bolting in the main eye hangers. Look at your rear ones. They use 2 big rivets AND are welded on each side of the frame. The replacements can use bolts in place of the rivets but they also need to be welded.
8127712-jeep-leafspring_hanger_2559.jpg  
Unread 04-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #99
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle71 View Post
Thats good news being able to bolt on the crossmember. We would prefer to weld but we are try to do as much work as we can ourselves. I figure the new suspension will be the most expensive stuff I have bought for the Jeep so far....and I have learned as a rule of thumb, everything takes at least 2 to 3x the amount of time I think it will....or were you making a different point?
Nope... you got it. Just keep in mind everything takes longer and usually costs more. Your Jeep will be down for a bit while you starighten this out. If you have any way to get it here we can weld whatever you want in my shop. You wouldn't be the first JAX Jeeper to haul his stuff over for a day of Jeep work. Glad to help you out.

Unread 04-16-2012, 04:27 AM   #100
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7
Do not rely on JUST bolting in the main eye hangers. Look at your rear ones. They use 2 big rivets AND are welded on each side of the frame. The replacements can use bolts in place of the rivets but they also need to be welded.
Point taken. Would it be ok to bolt it and drive a short distance to have those welded?
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #101
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Point taken. Would it be ok to bolt it and drive a short distance to have those welded?
My .02 is that there is a LOT of torque at those points. Not worth the risk. I have no idea if it would fail... probably not... but you could plow into somebody else if it does.

Unread 04-16-2012, 05:07 AM   #102
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

I really appreciate the generous offers you have extended my way. If you don't watch out, I may take you up one day. The free time Dad and I have to work on the Jeep is so sporadic that it would be difficult to plan a hauling trip over there. I it safe enough maybe we can get it over there after we get it together . Besides, you and Clay have your hands full and are working at a good pace. I'm looking forward to seeing it on the road. Regardless, it would be nice to meet some fellow jeepers when time allows.
Unread 04-16-2012, 05:17 AM   #103
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I really appreciate the generous offers you have extended my way. If you don't watch out, I may take you up one day. The free time Dad and I have to work on the Jeep is so sporadic that it would be difficult to plan a hauling trip over there. I it safe enough maybe we can get it over there after we get it together . Besides, you and Clay have your hands full and are working at a good pace. I'm looking forward to seeing it on the road. Regardless, it would be nice to meet some fellow jeepers when time allows.
It's a genuine offer Turtle... if we could coordinate the day. Clay's a fair hand at welding. We've got everything here. I don't know if it's cost-effective when comparing to a local shop to do your welding vs. hauling it at $4 a gallon gas. The last time I had a shop weld our frame (before we really got into this) it cost me $400, and that was to repair the rear frame horns only.

Unread 04-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #104
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

It's a genuine offer Turtle... if we could coordinate the day. Clay's a fair hand at welding. We've got everything here. I don't know if it's cost-effective when comparing to a local shop to do your welding vs. hauling it at $4 a gallon gas. The last time I had a shop weld our frame (before we really got into this) it cost me $400, and that was to repair the rear frame horns only.
I knew you were serious about it and do appreciate that. Wow,that's expensive welding! I guess we will see how things work out. Thanks again.
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #105
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

^^^Once I get it together again that is.

If I get time tomorrow, I'm going to try to drop the tank and see whats going on back there.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.