Turtle71's 83 CJ7 project - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Turtle71's 83 CJ7 project

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #31
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

I had the autozone special tap and die set. It SUCKED! I wound up just welding an inch in the middle of the rod. It worked out for me. If it hadn't, I still feel it would have been easier to take the mc off and add or subtract a little to the rod than using that damn tap and die set!

Unread 04-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #32
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Unfortunately i don't have a welder yet. So, I was able to find a die by Irwin/Hanson.

I am hoping it is of better quality than the autozone or HF ones which didn't have very good reviews.
Turtle71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #33
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

UPDATE: After getting all the pieces together, I decided to dry fit the YJ booster, master and bracket. It almost dropped right in until the bracket that holds the throttle cable got in the way.

The top part of it interferes with the booster and appears to be fabricated by a previous owner. I did a little research but havent found anything definitive as to a certain bracket to use. I also dont have a welder to try to make something different. If someone has some good info on where or what kind of bracket I can get, please let me know.

Our main objective has been to get it on the road so Dad and I can enjoy it a little before really tearing down for a full restore. So we decided to just replace the MC for now and do the upgrade later. So we bench bled the MC, put it in and bled the rest of the system. WE NOW HAVE BRAKES! This also enabled me to clean up the firewall a bit.

Before:

After:
Unread 05-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #34
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

After getting the brakes done, I wanted to finally take the Jeep for a drive to see how it behaves and what other issues we may need to address. I wasn't sure about the condition of the trans fluid, so i decided to do a drain and fill on the T5. I did alot of research on which fluid to use and came up with many answers. In the end I decided to go with Pennzoil Synchromesh that was recommended by several people who had great results, one of which was a guy who rebuilt many T5s as a business.

I have driven it previously, but only for about a half mile. Each time, I was able to from 1st through 4th at the most, given the short distance. This time I was able to drive it for a few miles. Shifting was pretty easy, but I suspected a worn throw out bearing based on a familiar noise I was hearing. On the way back, I was stopped at a light and when I started going forward in 1st, I heard a loud bang and it seemed to come out of gear.

Pulled over and was able to get it in 1st a few times and start to go forward, but it would either make a bang noise or grind. I was able to get it back home by starting out from 2nd gear. When I had it back in the driveway, I tried to use 1st and got the same results. I also noticed it was difficult at times to find reverse, but I would eventually find it and it would work fine.

Has anyone had similar experiences or have any idea what may be involved??? Complete rebuild of the trans? Or will I be lucky with a clutch related issue?? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Unread 05-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #35
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

When I drained the old fluid which smelled like gear oil, I didn't notice any metal shavings. But I wasn't really paying attention either since I had not had any trouble with the trans during the few short test drives I had done at that point.

I decided to drain the synchromesh mesh today and when I did, I noticed what looked like glitter in the fluid. I was thinking they were fresh because of the bright color. After draining the catch pan into a container for recycling, I found 3 very small bits of metal in the bottom of the pan. The largest was maybe a quarter inch long and a millimeter or so wide.

Now I am debating whether to try a different lubricant, or pull the trans and swap it out. I had been hoping we would have it on the road by now. Any Opinions???

Here it is. Far from done , but eager to stretch its legs a bit.
Unread 05-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #36
Slugo

1983 CJ7 

You stole that CJ. I think you made a great deal! I like the fact that it's an 83 - same as I'm working on and look fwd to following your work. Are ya going to take the body off? Took mine off a month ago and glad i did as rust was gettong good star on frame and under body. If you decide to get a differnt carb your bk booster may fit. See PO took out computer also so ya have a cleaner eng bay.
Slugo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #37
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Thanks! Plans are to do a frame off resto. But right now we just want to get it safe and drivable so we can enjoy it for a while before taking it apart. Gonna stick with the carb since its got a MC 2100. Just got to figure out a way to re-do the throttle cable bracket, or find one that works.
Unread 06-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #38
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Pulled trans/transfer-Do I need a new clutch?

Tried different fluid but got the same results. Looks like 1st gear is toast, so we decided to swap out the transmission for freshened up one for $250 plus my trans as a core. Gonna take a look at the clutch while I'm in there.

Removed the skid, shifters and tunnel cover and supported the engine underneath the oil pan with a jack stand. Then tried to remove the transfer case but couldn't get it to separate form the trans. Since I didn't have a transmission jack, we used a regular jack underneath. For added safety and support, we looped a ratchet strap under the trans and through the hole in the tunnel, hooking each end to the seat frames on either side. Sorry no pics of this since we were trying to move quickly and not stress the motor mounts any more than necessary. With one person operating the jack underneath and the other in the Jeep pulling up and back on the ratchet strap, we were able to support and back the trans out with the transfer case still connected.

Turns out there was one bolt still holding the two together. I didn't see it since it was in the recessed area near the shift rods. After removing it, they were easy to separate as there was only rtv used in between the two cases.

Removed the starter, clutch linkage and bellhousing.

It had so much oil/grease all over it that you would think it was black. Next was the clutch pressure plate/friction disk which turned out to be made by Luk. I'm not an expert on clutches, but they seem to be in pretty good shape from what I can tell. What do you guys think???

Heres a look at the flywheel. Any opinions???
Unread 07-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #39
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

May be a little late to comment but I'd say you should have the flywheel resurfaced and go ahead with a new clutch and pressure plate. The time to do it is when you've got it apart anyway. Kinda late posting though and you may already haver it back together.

Sunscribed now so I can keep tuned in.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #40
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Not too late. Its been slow going with the limited time I have had. Some things that have kept me busy are documented here:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/op...found-1228065/

Took me a while but I found a replacement for my T5 last week. I was hoping to get something beefier, but its not in the budget right now. I think the T5 will be fine for what I will use the jeep for at this point. I do want to change the front and rear gears though. I agree about the flywheel/clutch. Right now I'm looking for a place to resurface the flywheel now and need to pick up a clutch kit. Considering buying Timken release bearing and pilot bushing separately. I'm not sure what comes with the clutch kits and have heard of people having issues after getting everything back together.
Unread 01-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #41
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

We need some 2012 updates to see what you have done to this beautiful CJ!

1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #42
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Well the project got delayed for a while since my dad and I have been working on a pump house/utility shed. The idea was to get the shed done which would serve as storage for the stuff filling the garage right now so we could get the CJ in the garage to work on. This is the current state of the shed. We started with just a 10x16 concrete pad.

To finish it up we have to pour a slab outside of it (for the aerator and extra storage)and reconfigure the pumps and plumbing so they fit in one corner inside and then of course siding. Lately life has gotten in the way so my dad and I haven't been able to coordinate our schedules very much, so I've been gathering parts and he has been helping me do things bit by bit.

After seeing how filthy the bellhousing was inside and out, I figured one of the causes was likely the valve cover gasket leaking down the back and on to the bellhousing. So after a little trimming to make the new cork gasket fit right, I skim coated the mating surface and buttoned it up.

After that I cleaned up the bottom of the tub by pressure washing, scrubbing and wire wheeling it. Then primed and painted as many areas as I could reach while some things were out of the way. Sorry, forgot to take pics at that stage but you can see a bit of that in others. Next was the removal of the old pilot bushing. The grease hydraulic method did not work for me, so I "rented" the slide hammer tool from AZ and it came right out. Then I went through 2 new bushings to get it right. The first one mushroomed slightly because I used a socket as a driver. Got it all the way in after hammering for what seemed like a lifetime only to have the outside edge layer crumble at the end. That one came out in pieces with the AZ tool. Second one I threw in the freezer overnight and used a light oil along with a wooden dowel. The "hardwood" dowel I got from HD mushroomed on the hammered end and eventually split. Switched to an old oak driver my dad found in the garage and it went in much easier. Turns out the supposed "hardwood" was not very hard and was absorbing too much of the blow from the hammer. After finally finishing the pilot, I put on the spacer, new flywheel, friction disk and pressure plate.
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #43
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Since then I have spent my time on the new to me T5 and my D300. Opened both of them up and everything looked and felt good, so I replaced the seals on both and painted them up.

Unread 01-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #44
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Glad to see your back at it again.
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #45
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Congrats on the progress. I guess I am not the only one building a new shed!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.