Turtle71's 83 CJ7 project - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Turtle71's 83 CJ7 project

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 10-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #166
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I WAS intending to remove a steering box from a GM junkyard vehicle. I went in search of a Camero. Lots of GM cars/trucks had this same box. Ironically, there was a CJ7 frame with the steering box. It was a crapshoot, but the box turned out to be better than what we had. Cost me $50. Remanned box from AZ, with core, is $135. Ouch! Do you have reason to believe your box is iffy?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #167
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

No real reason, other than just trying to go through process of elimination. I havent tried the adjuster bolt thing on top of the box. Read conflicting info on that. If anyone has some insight let me know.
Unread 10-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #168
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle71 View Post
No real reason, other than just trying to go through process of elimination. I havent tried the adjuster bolt thing on top of the box. Read conflicting info on that. If anyone has some insight let me know.
My understanding of the adjustment bolt, be it right or wrong, is that it will take up play in the steering wheel. I'm talking about the back and forth slop that you feel. Keep in mind there are different types of slop, and what I am talking about is that slop ONLY associated with a worn box. It doesn't help if you have bushing, balljoint, or TRE issues. Once you adjust the slop out of the steering wheel you have effectively mashed the steering gears closer together, and it causes them to wear even faster. Your steering wheel might feel better, but is hasn't done jack for the funky steering you have at the tires. It is not a repair or a fix. If your steering wheel moves side to side without moving anything up front, then you probably have a steering box issue. You can get one from a JY if you choose. Find a GM vehicle of the same year range. Visually inspect the box to be sure it looks the same. Look for a vehicle with low mileage, if possible. Make sure the fittings are the same. The hard part about this swap is getting the box off the donor car!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 10-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #169
slo100
1984 CJ7 

Turtle71

Thanks so much for your detailed pics and descriptions. I have the exact same issue with the PO of my 84 CJ7 having done the angle iron rear crossmember hack. I will have to do almost the exact same operation you did. Do you have to weld on the new heavy duty shackle hangers or do they just use the existing bolts?

The stock rear crossmember covers the frame rails so I am not sure how they affixed the hangers to the frame rails.

thanks again and great work!

Bret
slo100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #170
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo100 View Post
Turtle71

Thanks so much for your detailed pics and descriptions. I have the exact same issue with the PO of my 84 CJ7 having done the angle iron rear crossmember hack. I will have to do almost the exact same operation you did. Do you have to weld on the new heavy duty shackle hangers or do they just use the existing bolts?

The stock rear crossmember covers the frame rails so I am not sure how they affixed the hangers to the frame rails.

thanks again and great work!

Bret
Thanks for taking the time to check out the thread! Funny that you have a similar angle iron issue with your rear crossmember. Its crazy what some people do to these things.

The new shackle hangers bolt on through welded nuts in the bottom of the frame in the rear. Just make sure you spray some PB blaster or something similar through the frame holes in the side of the frame back there to loosen up some of the rust on the bolts. Do this for several days before you try to removes them. I highly recommend Crabtrees hangers and shackles if you will need to replace yours. Heres his web page if you are interested.
http://crabtreetool.com/jeep%20products.html
Unread 10-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #171
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
My understanding of the adjustment bolt, be it right or wrong, is that it will take up play in the steering wheel. I'm talking about the back and forth slop that you feel. Keep in mind there are different types of slop, and what I am talking about is that slop ONLY associated with a worn box. It doesn't help if you have bushing, balljoint, or TRE issues. Once you adjust the slop out of the steering wheel you have effectively mashed the steering gears closer together, and it causes them to wear even faster. Your steering wheel might feel better, but is hasn't done jack for the funky steering you have at the tires. It is not a repair or a fix. If your steering wheel moves side to side without moving anything up front, then you probably have a steering box issue. You can get one from a JY if you choose. Find a GM vehicle of the same year range. Visually inspect the box to be sure it looks the same. Look for a vehicle with low mileage, if possible. Make sure the fittings are the same. The hard part about this swap is getting the box off the donor car!
Thanks for the feedback Scott. If nothing else works, I'll have to study up on which steering boxes are good swaps.
Unread 10-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #172
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle71 View Post
Thanks for the feedback Scott. If nothing else works, I'll have to study up on which steering boxes are good swaps.
What I posted is my concept of the steering box problem. I was taught that a long time ago. I know I adjusted our old one until we had minimal play (I was also taught that you are supposed to have SOME play, so don't take it ALL out), but we still had the same wandering issue. Only the steering wheel felt better. My Disclaimer! There is someone out there who can give a better lesson on what's going on!!

Unread 11-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #173
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

I started a new thread (below) to get some opinions on degrees shims.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/do...shims-1431156/

After taking it to an alignment shop, I found the caster was way off.

The caster was showing at 2.5 and 2.3 degrees left and right respectively so I ordered these 4 degree shims.
http://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Produc.../dp/B004JARX70

Fairly simple install. Dropped the spring plates. Clamped the leaf packs from side to side and top to bottom to keep them from coming apart. Then removed the centering pins. Installed the shims and reinstalled the centering pins since they were plenty long enough. Removed the clamps and reinstalled the spring plates.

Much easier to handle now going down the road. I can now drive it with one hand! Still doesnt return to center very well though.
Unread 11-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #174
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle71

Much easier to handle now going down the road. I can now drive it with one hand! Still doesnt return to center very well though.
After setting mine up from 1.5 +/- to 7.3, I didn't get the return to center like you are thinking either. Not a big deal to my way of thinking when you think of how much better overall it steers. Could be several factors, tires, air pressure, power stering pump pressure, steering box. I am just happy to be able to do 65 on the freeway and not have to worry about her wandering off.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
T-5
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #175
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbtgait View Post
After setting mine up from 1.5 +/- to 7.3, I didn't get the return to center like you are thinking either. Not a big deal to my way of thinking when you think of how much better overall it steers. Could be several factors, tires, air pressure, power stering pump pressure, steering box. I am just happy to be able to do 65 on the freeway and not have to worry about her wandering off.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
I'm with you on that. Satisfied wth the difference the shims made...at least for now.
Unread 11-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #176
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

The CJ has been at my parents house where there is enough space to store it and work on it since we first got it. I have only taken it on drives that were less than 5 miles. Since we got the steering straightened out, I finally found the time and decided to take it across town to my house which is about 30 miles away and mostly highway driving. This will give me more time to do small things on it without driving across town.

I have to admit I was a little concerned with what could go wrong. So I checked all the fluids and made sure everything was torqued properly before heading out. I am very pleased to report that our Jeep perfomed quite nicely. Temp stayed steady in the normal range, oil pressure was good, steering was straight and the ride was smooth. It still has a long way to go, but I am very proud of the work Dad and I have done so far.

I forgot to mention. We recently replaced the old wheels and bald 31" tires with some AR Baja wheels and pretty much new BFG A/T's I found separately on craigslist.

Washed the Jeep for the first time in almost a year. Still need to clean up and polish the wheels though.

Unread 11-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #177
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Looks pretty good dude
Unread 11-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #178
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Oh WOW! Totally transformed! Very nice, Turtle.

Unread 11-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #179
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Looks great!
Unread 11-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #180
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the kind words guys. Still alot of work to do, but we got it to where we can enjoy it a bit while still doing some things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.