Just became a Jeep owner for the first time.Over the years my dad and I always wanted a project to work on together as a father and son build. I think my dad has always wanted a Jeep, but did without (even in semi retirement) because he always puts family necessities first. We live across town from each other now. I have passed by this CJ every day for a over a year. At first I would see it parked in the previous owners garage when it was open. A few months ago, I noticed it had been rolled out into the driveway. When I had the means, I discussed it with my dad, and left a note on the Jeep inquiring if the owner might be interested in selling it. A few days later I got an email and checked it out the next day. The PO had installed a new battery that day. The inline 6 started right up, ran well, frame looks solid, a little bit of rust here and there but nothing to serious. Comes with full steel doors, hardtop, bikini top, and a 21 gallon polyethyline gas tank and sending unit still in the box. PO said he parked it a year ago after having trouble getting it into some of the gears. To make a long story short, we picked it up for $800, and trailered it home today. I'll try to post some links to pictures...maybe someone can make them click free? Let me know what you guys think?
Will start going through it as time and funds permit. First we need to get it road worthy. The power steering is not working, the brakes seem to be dragging and I have some sort of camber issue on the front passenger side (picture link below). If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to chime in.
welcome to best jeep forum on the web---you will meet some awesome people on here thet really care and know what they are talking about.....now about your jeep, lets yank out that motor and drop in a v8---good luck and keep us posted
Thanks guys. I'm new to CJs so I dont know a whole lot about them. After getting it home I decided to take it for a spin to see what I was in for. I was able to go from 1st through 4th but didnt go much faster since the brakes were dragging and the steering seemed a little off. Its possible that the problem Po had getting it into some gears is with the clutch and the PO mistook the problem to be with the trans. I pulled off the air filter to check out the carb. Its stamped "Motorcraft" on it but also has a sticker that says something like "Holley remanufactured" How much of a lift does it look like it has? Its on bald 31's right now but I may go bigger later. Pic links below.
Looking forward to starting off the build with my dad. It will be a while before it gets to the caliber of all of yours. I guess we will be starting things off by freshening all the fluids. Oil change, Trans, Transfer case, diffs, brake, power steering, coolant/antifreeze. From the research I've done, it looks like 70 gear oil for the non world class T5, but ATF for world class ones. I believe I have the D300, but I have seen different types of lube specified for these (80/90, etc.).
Can anyone set me straight on whats recommended for each of these fluids? Also, whats safe to use to clean all the gunk out of the cases and diffs???
Finally got started working on the CJ. My dad and I have been building a shed so we can get the Jeep in the garage. We decided to get it on the road and enjoy it a little this spring/summer before going more in depth on the body etc.
First items to address: brakes, steering and fluids. The brakes seemed to be dragging and the right front wheel was leaning off camber and had some play. We put the front end on jack stands, took the wheels and calipers off and started disassembling the hubs.
On the side with the camber/play issue, the inner bearing came out in pieces. It appears some of it is still stuck on the spindle. Anyone have any advice how to get this off? Heat? Sorry didnt have camera with me so didnt get any pics of it.
Nice find. Is that a mystic paint changing between blue and green? Also looks like you have a shackle reversal on the front end. Your rear shackles are also longer than stock. Stock shackles are 3" hole to hole so if you measure yours, the amount of lift is half the difference in additional length. So if your shackles are 5" hole to hole, they are 2" longer but that equates to 1" worth of additional lift.
For the camber problem, the destroyed bearing is a nice find. Out of all the things that can cause camber issues, a bad bearing is probably the easiest fix. To get the hub and rotor the rest of the way off, remove the outer bearing(sounds like it fell out in pieces), reinstall a single large washer and thread on a nut. Grab a hold of the rotor and pull it toward you. Sometime you have to give it a good jerk for it to pop off. You're basically dislodging the rear seal in the hub to get the entire hub/rotor assembly to come off.
If I misunderstood and you already have the hub removed and you have bearing metal embedded into the spindle metal, we really need to see pictures of how bad it is. Not sure if something like that can be repaired or if it will require a new spindle.
Mike My build thread
1979 CJ7, FI 5.0L Ford, NP435, D300, Full floated D44 Detroit, D30 Detroit EZ Locker.