Turtle71's 83 CJ7 project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Turtle71's 83 CJ7 project

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

83 CJ7 Project

Just became a Jeep owner for the first time.Over the years my dad and I always wanted a project to work on together as a father and son build. I think my dad has always wanted a Jeep, but did without (even in semi retirement) because he always puts family necessities first. We live across town from each other now. I have passed by this CJ every day for a over a year. At first I would see it parked in the previous owners garage when it was open. A few months ago, I noticed it had been rolled out into the driveway. When I had the means, I discussed it with my dad, and left a note on the Jeep inquiring if the owner might be interested in selling it. A few days later I got an email and checked it out the next day. The PO had installed a new battery that day. The inline 6 started right up, ran well, frame looks solid, a little bit of rust here and there but nothing to serious. Comes with full steel doors, hardtop, bikini top, and a 21 gallon polyethyline gas tank and sending unit still in the box. PO said he parked it a year ago after having trouble getting it into some of the gears. To make a long story short, we picked it up for $800, and trailered it home today. I'll try to post some links to pictures...maybe someone can make them click free? Let me know what you guys think?

Last edited by Turtle71; 12-10-2010 at 03:08 PM..
Turtle71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Will start going through it as time and funds permit. First we need to get it road worthy. The power steering is not working, the brakes seem to be dragging and I have some sort of camber issue on the front passenger side (picture link below). If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to chime in.

Last edited by Turtle71; 12-10-2010 at 02:55 PM..
Unread 12-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

looks good and sounds like a great project, good luck
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
huntersdad

1985 CJ8 

Nice starting point. Good luck with the project and let us know how it goes.

Tim Hamilton

/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)
huntersdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Way to jump into the Jeep world, and WELCOME to the Forum! I think you did REAL GOOD for $800! I hope you and your dad get to share a lot of time on the Jeep. Keep us posted.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #6
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

you certainly can't find those deals in my neck of the woods, congrats and welcome to the forum!
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 01:59 AM   #7
raperfam
1977 CJ7 

welcome to best jeep forum on the web---you will meet some awesome people on here thet really care and know what they are talking about.....now about your jeep, lets yank out that motor and drop in a v8---good luck and keep us posted
raperfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 05:27 AM   #8
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

You paid $800 for a jeep with a running engine, in Florida, with a hardtop and doors.... Nice!

Congratulations on the Jeep and welcome to the forum.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #9
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Thanks guys. I'm new to CJs so I dont know a whole lot about them. After getting it home I decided to take it for a spin to see what I was in for. I was able to go from 1st through 4th but didnt go much faster since the brakes were dragging and the steering seemed a little off. Its possible that the problem Po had getting it into some gears is with the clutch and the PO mistook the problem to be with the trans. I pulled off the air filter to check out the carb. Its stamped "Motorcraft" on it but also has a sticker that says something like "Holley remanufactured" How much of a lift does it look like it has? Its on bald 31's right now but I may go bigger later. Pic links below.

Last edited by Turtle71; 12-10-2010 at 03:11 PM..
Unread 12-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Looking forward to starting off the build with my dad. It will be a while before it gets to the caliber of all of yours. I guess we will be starting things off by freshening all the fluids. Oil change, Trans, Transfer case, diffs, brake, power steering, coolant/antifreeze. From the research I've done, it looks like 70 gear oil for the non world class T5, but ATF for world class ones. I believe I have the D300, but I have seen different types of lube specified for these (80/90, etc.).

Can anyone set me straight on whats recommended for each of these fluids? Also, whats safe to use to clean all the gunk out of the cases and diffs???

Last edited by Turtle71; 12-06-2010 at 05:40 PM..
Unread 12-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
You paid $800 for a jeep with a running engine, in Florida, with a hardtop and doors.... Nice!

Congratulations on the Jeep and welcome to the forum.
X100,000 You got that CJ for $800 in FL You got one H3LL of a deal

Congrats and Welcome to the Forum
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

That's an outstanding buy you made! Hope you and your dad enjoy working on it and it's nice of you to include him too. Keep us posted.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #13
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRic View Post
X100,000 You got that CJ for $800 in FL You got one H3LL of a deal

Congrats and Welcome to the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
That's an outstanding buy you made! Hope you and your dad enjoy working on it and it's nice of you to include him too. Keep us posted.
Thanks! Been checking out all of your rig/builds. Wow! Looking forward to getting mine anywhere close.
Unread 03-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #14
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Finally got started working on the CJ. My dad and I have been building a shed so we can get the Jeep in the garage. We decided to get it on the road and enjoy it a little this spring/summer before going more in depth on the body etc.

First items to address: brakes, steering and fluids. The brakes seemed to be dragging and the right front wheel was leaning off camber and had some play. We put the front end on jack stands, took the wheels and calipers off and started disassembling the hubs.

On the side with the camber/play issue, the inner bearing came out in pieces. It appears some of it is still stuck on the spindle. Anyone have any advice how to get this off? Heat? Sorry didnt have camera with me so didnt get any pics of it.
Unread 03-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #15
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Nice find. Is that a mystic paint changing between blue and green? Also looks like you have a shackle reversal on the front end. Your rear shackles are also longer than stock. Stock shackles are 3" hole to hole so if you measure yours, the amount of lift is half the difference in additional length. So if your shackles are 5" hole to hole, they are 2" longer but that equates to 1" worth of additional lift.

For the camber problem, the destroyed bearing is a nice find. Out of all the things that can cause camber issues, a bad bearing is probably the easiest fix. To get the hub and rotor the rest of the way off, remove the outer bearing(sounds like it fell out in pieces), reinstall a single large washer and thread on a nut. Grab a hold of the rotor and pull it toward you. Sometime you have to give it a good jerk for it to pop off. You're basically dislodging the rear seal in the hub to get the entire hub/rotor assembly to come off.

If I misunderstood and you already have the hub removed and you have bearing metal embedded into the spindle metal, we really need to see pictures of how bad it is. Not sure if something like that can be repaired or if it will require a new spindle.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.