turnbne wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > turnbne wheels

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
jchilcot
1980 CJ7 

turnbne wheels

I have a set of old turbine wheels. My jeep is painted light khaki metallic and its all trimmed out in black so I think it would look better with black wheels. I would like to keep the classic wheels so does anyone have pics of how they look painted black?

Also how does one go about painting the inside of the turbine wheels while keeping the outers unpainted? I have also thought of painting the insides of the turbines body color.

jchilcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

A few options here..

Powdercoat...

Use Vaseline on the flats when painting,let paint cure then wipe off.

Paint then sand off flats

I like turbines with body color myself. What I don't like is an entire wheel painted body color our black....just too much.

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 04:22 AM   #3
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Personally, I don't like black wheels on anything. I think the Darth Vader look ran its course years ago. I would leave them natural or go body color between the vanes.
Unread Yesterday, 04:35 AM   #4
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

I have to agree Blacked out wheels are over. But... If you want you want to paint them black go for it. Its your Jeep. But I would use Plastic Dip. It come is spray cans. It last long, very easy to deal with. You can spray the entire wheel and peel off what you don't black. Google search Plastic Dip wheels. You will find lots of info and videos. It about $5 a can as Walmart, HD, Lowes etc... you will need about 1 can per wheel. Again its really easy to see if you like it it not just peel it off.
waterdowg is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 02:22 PM   #5
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

I think painting between the vanes and leaving the vanes and outer rim polished still has that classic look. If you google "vector mags" the new version of the classic wheel should pop up. They come with a similar paint scheme and should give you an idea of what yours would look like.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 02:40 PM   #6
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
I think painting between the vanes and leaving the vanes and outer rim polished still has that classic look. If you google "vector mags" the new version of the classic wheel should pop up. They come with a similar paint scheme and should give you an idea of what yours would look like.

Here ya go. http://www.akhwheels.com/pages/inventory.php?cat=6

Searching Vector mags brings up tons of air gun just to sift through.
Unread Yesterday, 04:40 PM   #7
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
I had the same vision. With the plastic dip the OP can spray the entire rime then peal off the vanes and the outer rim. The plastic zip will give a clean end when pealing off on a sharp edge. Ifs really kool stuff.
waterdowg is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #8
jchilcot
1980 CJ7 

I like the plasic dip product idea. This is the first time Ive heard of it. I checked out the vector mags. Are those the ones that were on the general lee?
Unread Today, 12:07 AM   #9
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchilcot
I like the plasic dip product idea. This is the first time Ive heard of it. I checked out the vector mags. Are those the ones that were on the general lee?
Yep, you didn't post pictures so I assumed that's what you have. When I hear "old turbine" that's what I think of.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 11:33 AM   #10
jchilcot
1980 CJ7 

Here is a pic
photo-1.jpg

Unread Today, 11:34 AM   #11
jchilcot
1980 CJ7 

driving down a hill...
Unread Today, 02:12 PM   #12
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Damn steep one too....LOL!

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 03:05 PM   #13
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

The turbines and Ansen slots are my favorite wheels ever made. No modern wheel has even come close to having the style of those two.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.