Turn Signal Reminder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Turn Signal Reminder

Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
whizerd
1972 CJ5 

Turn Signal Reminder

Anybody know of a product that I can put on my old CJ5 to remind me that my turn signal is still blinking?

I have dummy lights, but the older I get the more help I need!

A beeper or some kind of sound.

Thanx!

Whuzerd

whizerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
NHwheelin
1991 XJ Cherokee 

im sure there is away to hook up a buzzer of some sort that will buzz when your lights blink. just not sure excatly how to go about it.
Unread 06-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I think a $12.00 buzzer from Radio Shack would work fine. I'll have to figure out a simple connection. Looks like a couple of diodes right now.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Yup, a little Radio Shack beeper/buzzer will work. One of my buddies has a CJ-7 that he bought from an older in-law who installed one. Should just be able to tap into the flasher socket on the fuse block (not familiar with the pre-'76 stuff, so I'm not sure what you have to work with on that front).
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Yes the radioshack buzzer would work well and give you an audio on signal. I would suggest a IDC Splice, (insualtion displacement) into the wire going to the lamp wire going to the Speedo Dash Cluster that blinks the turn arrow. The Buzzer would get the + from the lamp wire and ground the - to the dash. This could hang under the Dash. If you ever want to remove just unclamp the IDC Splice remove the ground wire for buzzer and done.

The interesting part is getting it to BUZZZ for the left and right with out intoducing a short of the + wires when attached to the Left/Right Signal Arrow Lamp. Could use TWO BUZZERS and attache one to the left and one to the right lamps. The other idea would use ONE BUZZER and with a + feed from the Left & Right lamps but use a diode inline with the + 12V feed. If a diode is not used with One Buzzer the left lamp will light up the right lamp arrow or some of the lamps.

If you can find cheap 12V Buzzers could use two of them that would be a good solution and keep simple at the same time. Attach one buzzer to each of the lamp turn wires and ground to dash.

IDC Clamp + ---------------------->diode----------------Buzzer----ground
for 18 awg range R. lamp wire

IDC Clamp + ----------------------->diode----------------
L. lamp wire

OR

IDC Clamp + --------------------------------------Buzzer I---ground
for 18 awg range R. lamp wire

IDC Clamp + ---------------------------------------Buzzer II---ground
L. lamp wire

The last idea is to use the flasher modual and power the Buzzer from there. This may allow the use of one Buzzer and not have to use the diodes.

Hope this helps
Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjguercio View Post
Yes the radioshack buzzer would work well and give you an audio on signal. I would suggest a IDC Splice, (insualtion displacement) into the wire going to the lamp wire going to the Speedo Dash Cluster that blinks the turn arrow. The Buzzer would get the + from the lamp wire and ground the - to the dash. This could hang under the Dash. If you ever want to remove just unclamp the IDC Splice remove the ground wire for buzzer and done.
Too complicated.. ;-)

The flasher unit has two legs, one leg will provide a pulse of power to a buzzer won't it?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Too complicated.. ;-)

The flasher unit has two legs, one leg will provide a pulse of power to a buzzer won't it?

Sorry, do not have good way to do drawing. The --- are wires.

The orginal poster should tell the year of his CJ5 to look at electrical skematic. If one flasher modual that should work also, that was my number 3 or last alternative.

Fred
Unread 06-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjguercio View Post
Sorry, do not have good way to do drawing. The --- are wires.

The orginal poster should tell the year of his CJ5 to look at electrical skematic. If one flasher modual that should work also, that was my number 3 or last alternative.

Fred
I guess I should have read it all the way to the bottom then now shouldn't I....

Sorry, you lost me 3/4 the way through.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 06-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
pu70

How about this. Im sure someone else makes them too.

http://www.tricoproducts.com/index.cfm?location_id=130
pu70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Let see the buzzer is connected to hot so the blinker is always hot. Hooking the buzzer up to the blinker will make it sound all the time. So that won't work unless you want to get use to the buzzer and when it stops buzzing you will know the TS are on.

I realy don't see any way around this without using two buzzers or two diodes and a buzzer. Make sure you connect it to the front Turn Signals or the buzzer(s) will sound any time you hit the brakes.
Unread 06-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pu70 View Post

Nah, that would be to simple. What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with.
Unread 06-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pu70 View Post

Got one, they don't help.
Unread 06-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Let see the buzzer is connected to hot so the blinker is always hot. Hooking the buzzer up to the blinker will make it sound all the time. So that won't work unless you want to get use to the buzzer and when it stops buzzing you will know the TS are on.

I realy don't see any way around this without using two buzzers or two diodes and a buzzer. Make sure you connect it to the front Turn Signals or the buzzer(s) will sound any time you hit the brakes.
If the buzzer tags the output leg of the flasher and has it's own ground, I don't think it will see backfeed through the open switches to the buzzer when the brakes come on. They are on separate fuses and don't use ground theft....

I might have to check that with my meter as I am also interested in a warning.
Unread 06-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Eureaka!!
How about putting the two leads of the buzzer across the two leads of the flasher. Anytime the Flasher opens when flashing the turn signals, it will Buzz.

You could probably glue the buzzer to the flasher and run the wires down to the terminals and solder them on and Then you can just plug it in.

Sounds like a good product idea someone will market in a couple of days. I'll take 1% of sales thank you.

Last edited by John Strenk; 06-10-2008 at 03:29 PM..
Unread 06-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

The Buzzer will have two leads, one of each + -. The + leg can be spliced into the lamp wire for the arrow and the - ground leg can be attached to the metal dash via a screw and star lock washer. TWO buzzers and do one for the left and right lamp arrows. This will buzz each time the lights flash on. This will also need to be fairly loud in the 65db range or more or you will not hear it. Bring a 12transistor battery to radio shack and you can test how loud the buzzer is.

There are also connectors that will go thru the insulation and make contact with wire with out breaking the wire. These type of connectors are called IDC, insulation displacement connectors, and are nice for quick fixes, non critical stuff, and for those of us that cannot solder.

The red connectors are folded over the wire and squeesed with plyers to make eletrical contact. One of them is closed on half of the connector. I used an LED to simulate the Buzzer we are talking about.

Here is a pic of a two wire device, similar to what Buzzer would be, with the + leg in the IDC and another IDC so you can see it completly open. The black lead is most likely ground -.

I have not looked at the flasher modual on my CJ to see how many legs it has, as for ground, hot+, Hot + switched. Could be 2 or 3 leg. If 2 leg and John S. method is used it will most likely slow down the flash rate or not flash at all because there may not be enough current flow thru the flasher. Guess on my part. Some of the current will go thru flasher some will go thru the buzzer. Again guess on my part.

Fred

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.