turn signal problems on 80 cj7 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > turn signal problems on 80 cj7

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
Jeeper4x
1977 CJ7 

The harness has not been messed with. Everything worked fine, until my brother drove it. Lol. He said that he just drove it fishing and drove down some gravel roads.

Jeeper4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Sounds like the Turn signal swich is messing up and the Emergency flasher is coming into play when the turn signal is activated. Check the emergency flasher button.

All the dash lights or just the speedometer dash lights?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #18
Jeeper4x
1977 CJ7 

No. When the headlights are on. The left signal works, the right does not. But when you turn off the headlights, the left signal works fine, when you switch to the right, the dash light flash and all 4 lights flash. I have replaced the turn signal switch and re wired the rear lights. It still does the same thing. I'm at wits end. Could it be the gauge panel?
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #19
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I don't blame you for getting frustrated.

What you are describing could be a grounding problem or a short.

Disconnect the right rear tail light and see if the dash light still flashes. Try it with just the bulb out.
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #20
Purplehaze1786
1980 CJ7 

Jeeper4X....I have/had the EXACT same issue with my 1980 CJ7. It all started with what I thought was a burnt out left front turn signal...boy was I wrong. I ended up replacing ALL the light wiring between the fuse block and and headlights, and added all new bulbs just to be safe. I also added a new speedo cluster because the old one wasn't working. My first attempt failed, and ended with the dash lights blinking when I used the right turn signal. After lots of head scratching, I checked my grounds, and actually ran new grounds from my turn signal housing to my frame. I also ran a ground wire from my speedo cluster to the frame. PROBLEM SOLVED.
Unread 02-25-2014, 11:09 PM   #21
krex1985
1979 CJ7 

Jeeper x how did you fix the issue I have the same problem right now in my 79 cj7?
krex1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #22
Jeeper4x
1977 CJ7 

Turn signal problem

Fixed it: it was the ground on the right front signal housing. I cleaned it with a wire brush. I then made a ground wire from the housing to the body. (On the fender well). I have another problem. I just put a new fuel sending unit in, I still get no reading on the guage. Any help please?
Unread 02-28-2014, 03:38 AM   #23
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Make sure it's grounded properly also.
Unread 02-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #24
Jeeper4x
1977 CJ7 

I rechecked the ground wire. I ran it to the frame. Still no fuel guage. Also, my volt meter is reading 16 volts and temp guage doesn't work and neither does my oil pressure guage. Every heard of that dash panel that comes from "Jegs". They sell. A digital panel that has the speedo, temp, oil pressure and fuel. It measures 11 3/4" X 4" and 3/4" thick. It cost $350. I'm really thinking of taking all of the jeep stuff out and building a flat panel, then installing the panel from Jegs. Also, anyone have a set of used 4.56 gears for an AMC 20 and a Dana 30 axles?
Unread 02-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #25
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You Might like one of these for that price

http://www.speedhut.com/customizer.i?clid=1766501
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:08 AM   #26
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Is the mesh ground strap from the engine head to the firewall still there? There is also one that goes across one of the motor mounts from the block to the frame for the frame ground. These tend to rot off and not get replaced.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #27
Jeeper4x
1977 CJ7 

Ground issue

I will have to check. I bought the jeep a year & half ago. It was all stock I thought. The guy came out with 2 titles, on for a 77 & one for a 79. I quickly found out that it was. A 77 body on a 79 frame. The first thing I did was order a lift kit and tires. I found that it had a fence pipe for exhaust and no muffler. It is a work in progress. I put bed liner on the body armor and painted the rest of the jeep black. When I got it it had no turn signals or brake lights. Headlights only. I'm slowly getting her back into shape. Thanks for all of the help guys.
Unread 03-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #28
jeepduo
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper4x View Post
I rechecked the ground wire. I ran it to the frame. Still no fuel guage. Also, my volt meter is reading 16 volts and temp guage doesn't work and neither does my oil pressure guage. Every heard of that dash panel that comes from "Jegs". They sell. A digital panel that has the speedo, temp, oil pressure and fuel. It measures 11 3/4" X 4" and 3/4" thick. It cost $350. I'm really thinking of taking all of the jeep stuff out and building a flat panel, then installing the panel from Jegs. Also, anyone have a set of used 4.56 gears for an AMC 20 and a Dana 30 axles?
Best thing you can to do is to run a separate ground wire to everything. I had the same problem. The body grounds on Jeeps are hopeless, and you will only put the problem off. Run ALL wires back to the battery ground.
Unread 03-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #29
Jeeper4x
1977 CJ7 

Thanks. I may try that. I'm about ready to sell it an buy a 66-77 bronco. Lol. Just kidding. I have way to much money in my cj.
Unread 05-13-2014, 04:49 AM   #30
jdulmer

I have three ground straps on my '83 CJ7.

Battery to Frame

Battery to Body (firewall)

Engine to Frame

I have not a single ground issue.
jdulmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.