Turn signal indicator problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Turn signal indicator problem

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 11-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
dmchanzes

Turn signal indicator problem

I have a 1986 Jeep CJ7. I had to replace my turn signal piece in the steering column with a turn signal rebuild kit. Now when I put the turn signal to go left and I turn left it works fine. But when I correct the wheel the left turn signal does not turn off. Same with the right indicator. Any suggestions or pictures as to where I need to check?

Thanks!
Derek

dmchanzes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
dmchanzes

What tells the turn signal to reset after you complete your turn?
Unread 11-23-2011, 01:55 AM   #3
neatus

I would take it back a part and make sure that the springs are seated correctly in the turn signal plastic switch thingy. the springs tell it to snap back to its original position. They should look kinda like this, they are the circular shiny things in the pic.
neatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It'a a cam on a plastic thing-a-ma-bob that pushes against the spring doo-hickey that makes it turn off when you turn the wheel.

You can see the two little bumps on the underside of horn contact ring. Did you remember to put it back in? :
tscancelsprings.jpg   horncontactring2.jpg  
John Strenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
dmchanzes

I will take it apart this afternoon. How does the plastic thing-a-ma-bob supposed to be inserted into the column. meaning its placement. where does the flat outer edge supposed to rest in the column. any pics?
Unread 11-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Right here. Probably the first thing you put in after the turn signal switch
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
dmchanzes

I will have to check the pins. They looked correct when I installed them but maybe I did something wrong. Could there be any other possibilities as to why the turn signal doesnt reset? Just trying to cover all my boundries so I dont have to do this another 5 times. LOL
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
crrushing
1986 CJ7 

I put in a new ignition switch and when I finished, my right side blinker light now blinks very slowly, but the left one is fine. Anyone had this problem as well?
crrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmchanzes View Post
I will have to check the pins. They looked correct when I installed them but maybe I did something wrong. Could there be any other possibilities as to why the turn signal doesnt reset? Just trying to cover all my boundries so I dont have to do this another 5 times. LOL
I had the problem in one direction when my Steering wheel was off center from putting on a lift. Re-centering the steering wheel fixed that. But like I said, it was for only one side that I can recall.
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
dmchanzes

yeah my reset worked fine until I installed the rebuild kit.
Unread 11-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

In Jeeps as old as ours the turn signal cancel cam in the steering column probably has a groove worn so deep it doesn't work any more or it may work in one direction but not the other.

I had to buy a new cancel cam at Autozone.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 03:35 AM   #12
george29223
1978 CJ5 

its low on turn signal fluid i bet
george29223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #13
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

You can buy those cams at AutoZone in their 'HELP!' section.

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #14
nicknoty
1983 CJ7 

i got the replacement switch from advanceauto a few years ago but it has the hazards on it as well and the knob sticks in if i graze it with my leg and it so tight to pull back out you need needlenose piers to pull down on it.

i love my cj but little bs aftermarket replacement parts like these leave a bad taste in my mouth i'm thinking of getting a differnent more current gm style column all together without tilt wheel as mine is warn and shakes with about 2 inches play on the wheel.
83 cj7, white/pearl w/ black trim - 99'ax-15/clocked dana 300 twin sticked - 4"RC lift - HD shackles - 33X10.5 bfg mt's on micky' T 15" classic 2s - HD tierod flipped - custom bumpers with d-rings - winch - flowmaster - obd1 efi swap - 4.6L strocker with com smooth idle cam. soon to be:
rear disc brakes,front and rear tube fender flares and better sliders, 3.0L mercedes turbo diesel power
nicknoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #15
dmchanzes

Is there supposed to be a spring underneath the turn signal cancel cam?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.