Turn Signal Ignition Switch.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Turn Signal Ignition Switch....

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 03-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #1
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Turn Signal Ignition Switch....

I noticed on the 86 I just got, the key is tight and sure it is dry inside on the tumbler. The rubber tip on the turn signal arm is also gone. I ordered a new arm this week and decided to replace switch and everything under the steering wheel. I was checking at O'Reilly's and they don't show a turn signal switch for an 86. They do show back from 85.. Is there something different about 85 to 86? Also, is the switch different from tilt to non-tilting? Getting the key and tumbler was no problem to replace....

Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
TheGhost
1983 CJ7 

4WD.com shows the same switch will fit 1976 - 1995 CJ and YJ Wrangler tilt or standard.
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

I was thinking the same thing but their book showed different... I went ahead and bought the one for 85 and assumed it would work...
Unread 03-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I think it should work also.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Not too long ago, I saw a link to replacing the ignition and turn signal switch.. Does anyone have it handy?

thanks
Unread 03-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
JKM3134
1983 CJ7 

i just had to replace my turn signal switch to fix my horn this past week.

i got it from autozone. everything works. but the emergency flasher button will not release after its been engaged. so i have to pull the wheel off to release the flashers.

just a heads up so you can check yours and make sure its good before you install it.
JKM3134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
Twistedper
1979 CJ7 

Is this what you were looking for?
How To Rebuild Your 80's Chevy Steering Column - Texas4x4.org

There are some more links within there if you were going to go deeper.

Good luck, I will get to do this as soon as I get the turn signal switch. Is yours a tilt?
Unread 03-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

That was not the blog but that will work... I have rebuilt Ford ones before but not the Jeep (GM) one. I took it down to the locking plate and shut it down for today. Will need to buy or fabricate me a puller to press down on the spring plate to remove lock ring... The key tumbler is tight so I will replace both switch and turn signal while I have it out.. It is 24 years old and will not hurt to change while it is down..
thanks
Unread 03-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Twistedper, just a note for you.... The link to the Chevy column is not the same as my 86 Jeep was. The top section above the spring is the same. However, if you are doing the turn signals as well as the key, I hope you have lots of patience. The cover plate that goes down the column is two pieces. For the Chevy, there are 3 screws that secure the key part of the column to the bearing housing, key housing, etc. It shows just removing the 3 screws and the short collar comes right off leaving all the stuff accessible. On mine, there were 4 screws holding it down. When your remove those screws, the entire shaft collar all the way down to the steering column mounting to the dash area comes out. Along with that, the spring loaded pin (locking mech) flies out and it is attached to the gear going down to the ignition switch. The bottom section of the column is screwed in from the bottom side of the column. Also when it comes out, the gear that is turned when the key is turned will loose it's relationship with the tumbler. To feed the wire down to where the connector is located, you have to take the top section off to move the sleeve down enough to get the connector down the column. It took me about 45 minutes to get it back together and realized the gear was out about 30 degrees... After tearing down again, I got it all lined up and finally got it back together... It is definitely not as easy as the link described. Maybe mine being an 86, maybe they made some changes... I sure there are many guys here that have done it and had no issues.... Just a heads up if yours is different from the link........
Unread 03-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
Twistedper
1979 CJ7 

Thank you for the info. I will make sure to follow your advice and maybe see if there is better information on what we have. I don't have to replace the key so that won't be an issue. The turn signal works just drives me nuts it doesn't work the way it is suppose to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.