Turbocharged 258 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Turbocharged 258

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-31-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
rustymudder
1982 CJ7 

Turbocharged 258

I just acquired a Garrett T3 turbo for free from a friend. Would it be worth it to put this turbo on the ol' straight six or am I just crazy? Any ideas on how to make it work with my Howell tbi?

rustymudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Junkman
1985 CJ7 

Go here and post you question lots of turbo knowledge

TheTurboForums - Index
Unread 07-31-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
TJs83CJ7

Let us know what you find out. I would be interested to see how it comes out.
TJs83CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
xj5399
2000 TJ Wrangler 

well its a lot more work then just bolting up the turbo... new intake manifold, exhaust manifold. all new cooling system, ecu, all for 20-30 hp probably
Unread 07-31-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj5399 View Post
well its a lot more work then just bolting up the turbo... new intake manifold, exhaust manifold. all new cooling system, ecu, all for 20-30 hp probably
But think of how COOL it would sound

If I could fit a compound turbo on the jeep like mydads 2008 F250 turbodiesel, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Ben
benullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymudder View Post
I just acquired a Garrett T3 turbo for free from a friend. Would it be worth it to put this turbo on the ol' straight six or am I just crazy? Any ideas on how to make it work with my Howell tbi?
As great as the 258 is, I don't know if a typical 258 would be up to the task. I can understand the motivation to use a freebie, but I think in the end it's going to be a costly undertaking with minimal power gain.
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
jasontx
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman View Post
Go here and post you question lots of turbo knowledge

TheTurboForums - Index
True statement here....

I do not think it would be worth the $$$ and labor required and as someone stated the 258 may not be up to taking on some boost...
jasontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

If the engine had a solid bottom end and good compression, then running the typical 1.5 BAR turbo setup would yield (10.71)(7)=74.97hp (thats at 75 hp@10 psi). I think it would be really worth it. It is a standard assumption that for every pound of turbo boost you will make 7 horsepower. The T3 would come on real early in a 4.2 I think the lack of RPM's would suit it well but you have to do the calculations on that. Turbos are fun... Do you have a TIG welder? I do! Lets have some fun!!!
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not poking at you, rustymudder, but I find good humor in some peoples thoughts of "bolting a turbo on". I think that the turbo thing is great and all, but unless a person has gobs of money, or the ability to do the fab work theirself, it shouldn't be attempted. A proper turbo setup is going to require a bigger fuel system (injectors, pump, regulator) Exhaust manifold, custom exhaust work (downpipe) wastegate (unless its internally gated) a bigger TB (otherwise the added boost is not flowing efficiently) some way to tune the ECU (likely a stand alone as AMC and mopar ECUs are not very receptive to custom tunes. This is not to say that a turbo 258 wouldn't be sick, but understand that just because you got the turbo itself free, theres LOTS that are needed to use that freebie.
Pocket
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 11:30 PM   #10
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymudder View Post
Send the turbo to me and I'll put it to good use on my Mustang GT
Unread 07-31-2010, 11:33 PM   #11
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

If I were to turbo my 258 I would do the junkyard TBI setup first. You don't have to keep changing out and burning chips anymore you can tune in real time and turn straight to the ect through the ALDL port
Unread 07-31-2010, 11:43 PM   #12
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

I would never attempt this setup with a carb, The factory throttle body should be fine as it would not be an "ultimate HP build" and would skew the TQ curve down lower if it were undersized. I believe that the factory system is a speed/density system so you have a point there (megasquirt!). A custom exhaust manifold is a must, I would use welded stainless. that leaves the fuel system, easy enough! I want to do it! Bring it over here!
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
Junkman
1985 CJ7 

Honestly Turbo charging is not that difficult. Even with a carb as long as it has the correct mods done to it its no big deal actually I think doing it with a carb is much easier, but thats just me. You can even use a mechanical fuel pump as long as its boost referenced. and you could do it with a stock exhaust manifold with a fabricated flange and downpipe. Now as far as what are the benefits? unless you have a correctly sized turbo that will spool at the correct rpm range that you will be working in (In the case of off roading it would have to be fairly low) you probably wouldnt see much benefit. It would help in high altitudes where the air is thin, but Im talking 10k or higher.
Unread 08-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you want to run any kind of boost, you'll need forged internials. JP mag built a 4.0 stroked to a 5.0 with forced induction, it made 600 hp.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #15
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
If you want to run any kind of boost, you'll need forged internials. JP mag built a 4.0 stroked to a 5.0 with forced induction, it made 600 hp.
Where did you hear that from? I've seen stock geo's turboed. Do they come stock with forged internals? Nope. When turboing it's all about detonation. As long as you can add enough fuel to keep detonation down you can boost a motor. Of course the cast parts have there limits and will only hold up to so much power. Me and my friends built a turbo ecotec cavalier and were running 25lbs of boost on it all day, made a couple runs at 32lbs of boost and it still survived but if we would have kept that up it would have stressed the stock components too much and eventually blown.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.