Turbo 400 not shifting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Turbo 400 not shifting

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 06-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Bigkuntree007
1981 CJ7 

Turbo 400 not shifting

My 83 cj7 has a turbo 400 mated to an AMC 304ci V8 and it won't shift into 3rd gear. Seeing as how it only has 3 gears this is a problem. I think it's a vacuum leak but after I checked all the hoses all I can think that it might be is either the brake booster or the the part on the transmission where the vacuum line connects. Any ideas?

Bigkuntree007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Change your filter and fluid. Mine runs into this problem if the filter clogs up.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Bigkuntree007
1981 CJ7 

I don't know what the name of the module is on the side of the transmission is called that the vacuum line connects to. But I will definitely change my filter and fluid
Unread 06-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Also when you change your filter, change the "O" ring on the drivers side front corner of the tranny when U drop the pan. There is a pick up tube and it just pulls straight down. When this cracks "O-ring" it will shift weird and slip into gear. Mine did the same thing and a .50 cent "O" ring saved the day along w/a new shift module.

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Bigkuntree007
1981 CJ7 

Is that what the vacuum hose connects to?
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I believe what you refering to is the modulator. This is were the vaccume connects to. Cheque the vaccume line from the
manifold to the tranny.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Bigkuntree007
1981 CJ7 

I chequed it bit no leaks
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigkuntree007 View Post
My 83 cj7 has a turbo 400 mated to an AMC 304ci V8 and it won't shift into 3rd gear. Seeing as how it only has 3 gears this is a problem. I think it's a vacuum leak but after I checked all the hoses all I can think that it might be is either the brake booster or the the part on the transmission where the vacuum line connects. Any ideas?
One Quick Question,
When you stomped down on the throttle, did it go into 'Passing Gear', from 3rd to 2nd, or even 1st?

This is important, so think hard and let me know.

----------------------------------------

Anyway, if it didn't want to shift UP before failing, then pull the vacuum line off the vacuum modulator and put a clean vacuum line on the modulator and (Suck) on that line to see if the diaphragm is busted or not.

Take the Governor cover off and take the governor out, see if it's got some crap stuck in it that is keeping it from working...

Make sure your 'Kick Down' switch on the throttle pedal is working.
Without electronic kick down, the high gear clutch drum won't live long, and that means a rebuild.

Also a good idea to take the pan off and see if there is a bunch of clutch material in the pan.... change filter/fluid while you are there.

With TH 400s, when high gear goes out (Direct) it's usually kick-down not working or it's the governor not letting you get an 'Up Shift'.

If it's Kick Down, then the direct drive clutch pack is shot and there is NOTHING you can do about it without rebuilding the transmission.
That's about $250 for materials, rebuild kit, ect. and it's a pain in the butt to get out and back in... that's the bad news.

The good news is these things are so simple a monkey could rebuild them.
Tons of rebuild manuals and books out there, and as long as you follow the steps in the books, you will be fine.

Crud in the governor or the spool valve just inside the vacuum modulator port can be cleaned out, but if you are getting pieces of clutch large enough to jam up those spool valves, then start saving for a rebuild.

If it's just a popped vacuum modulator around $25 and half an hour fixes the problem.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
Bigkuntree007
1981 CJ7 

I stomped down on it and all it does is stay in second gear and just rev up into a higher rpm while It goes faster. But it never shifts past second
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I think what JH wants you to do is, go drive it, easy on the gas, after it shifts to second gear, put the gas pedal to the floor. See if it shifts back down to first gear.

Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
Wrenches_00
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Does reverse work? The direct clutch is used in both reverse and high (3rd) gears.
Adjust the kick down switch by pulling the arm all the way back toward the throttle pedal or linkage. It is on a ratchet of sorts and this is how it is adjusted.
Next push the throttle pedal to the floor and this adjusts the kick down. The kick down opens a solenoid valve that bleeds governor pressure and that will prevent a 2-3 shift. Also the kick down solenoid can be bad. Easy fix. Just drop the pan remove two screws and replace.
BTW, Kick down switch is best adjusted with the engine off. HTH
Wrenches_00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #12
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenches_00
Does reverse work? The direct clutch is used in both reverse and high (3rd) gears.
Adjust the kick down switch by pulling the arm all the way back toward the throttle pedal or linkage. It is on a ratchet of sorts and this is how it is adjusted.
Next push the throttle pedal to the floor and this adjusts the kick down. The kick down opens a solenoid valve that bleeds governor pressure and that will prevent a 2-3 shift. Also the kick down solenoid can be bad. Easy fix. Just drop the pan remove two screws and replace.
BTW, Kick down switch is best adjusted with the engine off. HTH
If his TH400 is from "76" to "79" it doesn't use a TV cable. There's a elect. switch on the gas pedal. That works with WOT. Up shifts on my 400 work off vaccume. As far as I know.

Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #13
Wrenches_00
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
If his TH400 is from "76" to "79" it doesn't use a TV cable. There's a elect. switch on the gas pedal. That works with WOT. Up shifts on my 400 work off vaccume. As far as I know.

Bill
You are correct. The 400 doesn't use a TV cable. I simply told him how to adjust the electric kick down switch.
Up shifts occur when governor pressure overcomes vacuum modulator pressure. Downshifts work opposite of this. Kick down occurs because the kick down solenoid bleeds off governor pressure so to assist the vacuum modulator.
A Power brake in reverse will test the direct clutch and rear band. If the engine revs to the stall speed and stays there then the clutch and band are good. If not then rebuild is in order.
Wrenches_00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
Bigkuntree007
1981 CJ7 

I drove it. it does shift back into 1st gear but still doesn't go up to 3rd. I will have to try to test or adjust the kickdown
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #15
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigkuntree007
I drove it. it does shift back into 1st gear but still doesn't go up to 3rd. I will have to try to test or adjust the kickdown
Because your Jeep didn't originally come with a 304 and TH400, do you have the switch that connects to the upper part of the pedal, inside the tub? I ask because mine isn't connected and shifts fine. Wrenches00 seems to know whats up. He can probably help you more than me. And Earl, welcome to Jeep forums.

Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.