Which tune-up route should I go? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Which tune-up route should I go?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-03-2002, 11:19 PM   #1
Nutz

Which tune-up route should I go?

I am starting to work on my 76 cj5's engine and it is in good shape, but I am trying to figure the best route for the distr, cap rotor, wires and plugs. What is the best setup for this engine, I want to make this engine hum when all is done. I am also willing to spend a little $ to make this roll. I have already changed the oil, oil filter, air filter. I have flushed the radiator and cleaned up the water pump, changed battery and wires. I have heard that there is a high energy distr. cap out there and I have called around to purchase and no one seems to know what is!? Any tune-up recommendations would be appreciated!! Nutz

Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2002, 11:23 PM   #2
JIM79CJ7

Put on an MSD 6A . if you've got alot of money to spend buy a Jacobs kit

JIM :{>

Custom Stuff--- [URL=http://www.JCfabanddesign.com]JC Fab & Design[/URL]
ORANGE JEEP CLUB
MEMBER # 1

1979 CJ7 / 304 /T 150 /HUGGER ORANGE PAINT JOB/ Lots of cool stuff
2003 Inca Gold Rubicon , <------ Sissy jeep :)
JIM79CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2002, 06:37 AM   #3
lynn
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Two methods come to mind.
First, GM HEI. Check here for more info:
www.geocities.com/jeeperaz/hei.htm

Second, Ford TFI is an option, a little less involved but also works well. Go to the forums at Off-road.com, go to the shoert wheelbase forum, and search on TFI upgrade. You might also try an internet search for TFI Upgrade.

HTH

EarlyCJ5.net Forums
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2002, 03:07 PM   #4
Nutz

Is the Gm HEI compatible w/ the 304 v8, that is what I have and I would also like to know can you purchase this setup over the counter or does it have to be through a junkyard? What exactly does this system entail- special wires and plugs or can I buy the iridium plugs and a quality set of wires.
Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2002, 04:34 PM   #5
CSP

It is not compatible with the V8 engine. You're stuck buying someone elses kit unless you are a competent machinist.

BTW, stick with standard plugs. The difference between a $1.99 plug and a $4.99 plug is only $3. Same thing with Jacobs. Sure they work good, but their customer service sucks when they fail. They charge people to troubleshoot and also charge for repairs and replacements. MSD usually troubleshoots/repairs/replaces problems with no charge to the customer. I like a product whose manufacturer stands behind. Jacobs is a joke in that aspect.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2002, 01:25 PM   #6
twmattox

Check out the fire control 1000. It is a magnetic pickup replacement for the DuraSpark ignition...
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.