Tuffy Center Console Alternatives - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tuffy Center Console Alternatives

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-04-2002, 12:30 PM   #1
TimR

Tuffy Center Console Alternatives

Hi,

Anyone know of another company that produces a center console that has space for a head unit? The tuffy consoles are very nice, but i cannot see spending nearly $250 for a console.
Any one else out there produce a similar product? I suppose my only other option will be to fabricate on myself or dish out the money. I dont want a stereo in the dash and the stock location has already been covered by a switch panel anyways.

Thanks,
Tim R.

TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2002, 06:11 PM   #2
knowlwk@snowhill.com
1980 CJ7 

I just mounted a 20mm ammo can last weekend. I plan on building a mount inside it for a CD player, and adding some padding to the top for a good arm-rest. It isn't pretty, but "fits" the look of my jeep, and after a few modifications, it locks quite well, is water-tight, and only cost me $7.95 plus some spare nuts and bolts. I'm very happy with it, and can spend the spare $240 or some new 31x10.50 Mud retreads from High-tech.
knowlwk@snowhill.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2002, 11:57 PM   #3
TimR

Where did you get the ammo canister? Does any army surplus store carry them?Will you have access to your cd player while the lid is cloised? Post some pictures will its all bolted up, I would like to see the end product.

Thanks,
Tim R
Unread 12-05-2002, 12:33 AM   #4
DaJeeper

Here's a link to one.

Here's a link to the same kind of setup with a pic:
Cheap Ammo Console Link

Last edited by DaJeeper; 12-05-2002 at 12:36 AM..
DaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2002, 07:05 AM   #5
knowlwk@snowhill.com
1980 CJ7 

DaJeeper, that is probably one of the links I read before doing mine

TimR, most surplus stores probably will. Best bet is to take your jeep and do a test fit to be sure you like the size they stock, as there are several available. I first tried a 25mm can, that was the same length and depth, but about 2 inches wider. It fit well now, but would probably be too wide if I ever get around to a set of aftermarket seats.

As far as getting to the cd player with the can closed... I doubt it. It could probably be done, but would require some thought and work. I don't change stations often, or swap discs much, so it won't bother me. If you need easy radio access, best bet is to pony up the $250 for a Tuffy.
knowlwk@snowhill.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 02:18 AM   #6
rednek

open top for stereo

I fab'd two. One is for my cassette player and the other is for my CD changer. I took a Dremmel and cut the opening in the top and slid the stereo in. I drilled small holes in the bottom of the two to run the wires together to connect the CD changer. I then put in some egg shell foam andbuttoned up the top. Then the last step is to silicone any openings. The only disadvantage to this is that the faces are open to spills, but I like the results better than the $250 tuffy I had in my first Jeep (more money than smarts when I was single).
3" Body lift
4" suspension lift
37 x 13 x 15 Boggers
15 x 10 Soft 5 rims
2 1/2" spacers
8000 lb Warn upright
1/4 turn hubs
Headers
CD changer and casette player w/ Orion amp and 10" bass tube, 2 - surface mount waterproof highs and 2 - 6 x 9 waterproof speakers
KC takedowns w/ homemade window mounts
Lock'd Rear
Flatfendered
Custom confederate flag paint job and DIXIE air horn
rednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 02:41 PM   #7
TimR

Got any pictures?

Thanks,
Tim R
Unread 12-06-2002, 06:26 PM   #8
rednek

no pics yet

I am offshore so I wilkl have to wait to I get on land and get some pis.
3" Body lift
4" suspension lift
37 x 13 x 15 Boggers
15 x 10 Soft 5 rims
2 1/2" spacers
8000 lb Warn upright
1/4 turn hubs
Headers
CD changer and casette player w/ Orion amp and 10" bass tube, 2 - surface mount waterproof highs and 2 - 6 x 9 waterproof speakers
KC takedowns w/ homemade window mounts
Lock'd Rear
Flatfendered
Custom confederate flag paint job and DIXIE air horn
rednek is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.