JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Tucson AZ Jeep Mentor Needed (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/tucson-az-jeep-mentor-needed-1539675/)

KnoxButler 06-21-2013 09:01 PM

Tucson AZ Jeep Mentor Needed

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and new to working on Jeeps. Iv owned a few Jeeps but recently I got an 81 CJ7 and set a goal for myself to do all the work myself on it and it does need work. Having never worked this in depth on a vehicle before, I thought it would be awesome to get in touch with anyone in my area that knew a thing or two about these old Jeeps.

If you live in the Tucson area and are willing to help out a new kid on the block as far as Jeep mechanics and carburetors go, id love to hear from you.

Thanks guys,
-Knox

Jon In Tucson 06-22-2013 10:29 AM

Hi Knox! :wave:
Welcome to the forum! I too, am a Tucson desert rat. I can certainly tell you how not to do a few things... What side of town are you located? What do you intend to make this CJ into? Street only? Trail only? 50/50 or some combo thereof? God bless.
Jon in Tucson

KnoxButler 06-22-2013 12:50 PM

Hey Jon good to hear from you, im on the east side. As for the Jeep, I think the direction I want to go with it is as a street car and by that I mean I dont really plan on really upgrading any of the 4x4 aspects of the jeep although I do want to take it off road occasionally.
My agenda:
-Pass emissions, I bought it from a guy out in Vail who never had to go through emissions. I believe it has all the smog equipment but no cat.
-Tune up the engine, its been running rough and I have another thread about a "fluttering" the engine has been having. (Team Rush Upgrade might be a solution)
-Restore the dash to a more original condition, previous owner did a bunch of after market work. (Different gauges, etc.)
-Repaint and quarter panel replacement, its a burgundy color with no clear cote to be seen and faded paint on the hood as well as a smashed and home-brew repaired quarter panel. I was thinking about doing a rustolium roll on job in military green. I'm not looking for something that's going to look like a showroom paint job just something that will look nicer than the worn paint on there now but something I don't have to worry about scratching up on a trail.

After that I think I will have the Jeep in a place that I will be happy with it.
What do you think?
-Knox

Jon In Tucson 06-23-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnoxButler (Post 15594062)
Hey Jon good to hear from you, im on the east side. As for the Jeep, I think the direction I want to go with it is as a street car and by that I mean I dont really plan on really upgrading any of the 4x4 aspects of the jeep although I do want to take it off road occasionally.
My agenda:
-Pass emissions, I bought it from a guy out in Vail who never had to go through emissions. I believe it has all the smog equipment but no cat.
-Tune up the engine, its been running rough and I have another thread about a "fluttering" the engine has been having. (Team Rush Upgrade might be a solution)
-Restore the dash to a more original condition, previous owner did a bunch of after market work. (Different gauges, etc.)
-Repaint and quarter panel replacement, its a burgundy color with no clear cote to be seen and faded paint on the hood as well as a smashed and home-brew repaired quarter panel. I was thinking about doing a rustolium roll on job in military green. I'm not looking for something that's going to look like a showroom paint job just something that will look nicer than the worn paint on there now but something I don't have to worry about scratching up on a trail.

After that I think I will have the Jeep in a place that I will be happy with it.
What do you think?
-Knox

Hi Knox,
Got to get through emissions first, that is, if there are no safety or runnability issues to deal with. Not sure when the CEC computer and feedback Carter was brought into production, however I know my '83 had them. You will have to get a catalytic converter, first and foremost. Then if all of the emission plumbing is there, at least you have a base to start.

Tune up, make sure wires, plugs, cap, rotor are in good shape. The Team Rush ignition upgrade is a great way place to start, I know it made a great deal of difference, If you have the Carter BBD carb, Now is a good time to put a kit in it. Check for play in the throttle shaft, it will cause a vacuum leak and rough idle and generally make you pull out your hair...

Lots of guys on the forum have used Rustoleum with great success, preparation being the key.
Fill out your profile information and post up pictures of your new project. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

The time now is 02:53 PM.