Tubs from the Philippines - Page 42 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tubs from the Philippines

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #616
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo2 View Post
Keith, did you need to enlarge or relocate the holes for the windshield hinges in the tub? On my repli-tub i can't get the top of the hinges flush with the cowl. They are about 1/4 too high which results in a gap between the seal and the cowl.
Yes I did. Had to slightly elongate the holes in the Repli-tub to get the hinges lower to match that of the OEM tub I still had on hand. Just another peeve on the Repli-tubs that needed to be done.

Once they were filed and the upper hinges mounted, I used a 3/8" threaded rod as a jig to setup the bottom hinges. Factory settings are 12-3/4" spacing between the hinges center-to-center measurement. The threaded rod will align the bottom hinge pin hole with the upper hinge pin hole and use nuts to lock it into place while mounting the bottom hinge to the body. I saw them use a similar jig at the Jeep Toledo Ohio plant back in 1980 when I did a factory tour of the assembly line. I remember things like that but of course their jig was much more elaborate.

You can see them slightly elongated in the pictures below

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #617
momo2
1980 CJ7 

Thanks that really helped me out. Hope this was the last bad surprise to come
momo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #618
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo2 View Post
Thanks that really helped me out. Hope this was the last bad surprise to come
Don't forget you need to make a cutout hole for the wiper motor electrical connection wiring.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #619
momo2
1980 CJ7 

Already done.
momo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #620
Hilux
1980 CJ7 

So how long until the CJ7 bodies from the Philippines are basically identical to the original factory Jeep bodies ?
Hilux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #621
O1dSoldier
1978 CJ5 

Hi Rommel,

I wanted to follow up on your mention of posting a picture of the fixed hood cowl radius. Are you still planning on doing that?

Also, there was mention of the primer coating, have you switched to something different?

Finally, I got a note from the folks at Willies Overland who has said they are now seeing the new bodies but have not done the work to see what improvements/modifications they now no longer need to make. I will continue to press them for that. Although it would be bad for their niche business I'd like to see them get to a place where they don't have to make any modifications to the bodies before they sell them.
O1dSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #622
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by O1dSoldier View Post
Hi Rommel,

Thanks for making the diagram, I look forward to seeing it. I know many other have thanked you for your hard work in improving your products and taking the time with us to listen to and address our concerns. That type of customer service and involvement is rare.

I've been chatting with Jay at Overland he has confirmed that he is now seeing the improved bodies coming in but says there are still some things his shop is doing to make them fully ready to install. I have asked him to detail what is still being done and will definitely pass on whatever it is he shares with me. I'm still a number of months away from being ready to acquire a body but my hope is that by then he will basically be out of the business of 'fixing' bodies because all the issues will be addressed at the factory.

Thanks again.

To others in the forum, my Jeep came without a tailgate and it's never been an issue. A CJ5 isn't big enough to carry much cargo. As I go through the process of deciding on fiberglass or steel (I prefer steel and am now leaning well in that direction thanks to this particular forum) but I find myself wondering if maybe having a tailgate versus not might be a good thing. I'm interested to know if any of you find it useful to have.

I have a 78 cj5 that did not originally have a tailgate. Opted to go with one of the tubs with a tailgate. It is nice on occasion. I can take out my backseat and and fit more stuff in the back with the tailgate down. One thing I didn't realize when I specified I wanted a tailgate was that the tub also had the divot on the body that was a throw back to old soft top or spare tire carrier or whatever. See photo. Not a big deal but every time I tell someone who knows jeeps that it is a 78 they point out that I either have the wrong body or don't know the year.
image.jpg  
bdatkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #623
O1dSoldier
1978 CJ5 

@bdatkins

NICE JEEP!

I have been considering the tailgate, I spoke with a good friend who has had both and he pretty much said the same as you - it adds convenience. I'm leaning in that direction but I have a rear bumper/tire rack and matching front bumper that my dad and I built many years ago. It would require replacement or modification that for sentimental reasons I don't know that I want to do.

@Rommel

Have you removed the indentation mentioned above on the late 70's CJ5 bodies yet? Whether I go with or without a tailgate I would like to body to be model/year correct.
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #624
RommelJuan
1980 CJ7 

Below are product features of our '78-'82 reproduction. There's no indentation for top bow mount.

Although we can do a no tailgate version for this, it is better if offer you the with tailgate version, and offer the tailgate chain later.

www.mdjuan.com.ph
RommelJuan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 05:48 AM   #625
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Rommel, I just figured out that the Early Versions are pre-1976, because of the front floor; is there a "Body Tub CJ-5" that has the indentation, like the 1976-77 had, and also has the Jeep script?

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #626
RommelJuan
1980 CJ7 

Yes, there is a 1976-77 CJ5 Body Tub that came with a initial caps "Jeep" script. Please see the illustration below:
www.mdjuan.com.ph
RommelJuan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #627
O1dSoldier
1978 CJ5 

Hi Rommel,

Thanks for posting the diagram. I take it then that you can do a tub with no tailgate if needed but generally don't make them or stock them regularly? You mention offering the tailgate chain later, I'm not sure what you mean. They don't come with the tub?
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:10 AM   #628
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

SO!
When are the mid years ('73) CJ-5 bodies going to be ready?
I'm going to be ready for one this summer... Mine has seen better days and it's time to get a new one...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #629
benullman
1981 CJ7 

I skimmed through the thread and didn't see but are the cj8 tubs being updated as well?

I'm looking to purchase one and don't want to spend 2 years modifying it

Ben
Unread 01-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #630
FLCJ-8

Scrambler Tubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
I skimmed through the thread and didn't see but are the cj8 tubs being updated as well?

I'm looking to purchase one and don't want to spend 2 years modifying it

Ben
Go here:

http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=mdjuan
FLCJ-8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.