Tubs from the Philippines - Page 40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tubs from the Philippines

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #586
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hammer,

I have no experience with them, but Aqualu Industries makes aluminum replacement tubs.

Unfortunately, they are ridiculously expensive.

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #587
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I swear, I'm so sick of rust I can't stand it... Living in the salted/calcium chloride treated road capitol of the world doesn't help anything... And it's SERIOUSLY wet here three seasons of the year.

I saw a stainless body for the 48 CJ 2 I almost bought before my health problems slammed me on my back.
I may still do that... No paint, just texture/polish the stainless for effect.
Cool factor right off the scale! But I can see some issues with glare from the sun!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #588
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcurryjr View Post
Rommell,

Why do some of the new replitubs have "JEEP" embossed on the side panel and others don't. The new replacement side panels now have "JEEP" on them. When will or will... the new tubs have JEEP on them?

Thanks, Wally
IF... You are getting custom paint anyway, just paint 'Jeep' on the side and clear over it,
OR, use a decal like the factory did for so many years on top the paint.

Even if it's embossed, you still use paint or decal to make it stand out. There isn't much difference.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #589
sevensandeights

Keith - do you have the links to the pages for your build thread that discuss how you handled the issues with the throttle cable hole and heater motor outdent?
sevensandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #590
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevensandeights View Post
Keith - do you have the links to the pages for your build thread that discuss how you handled the issues with the throttle cable hole and heater motor outdent?
No, sorry I don't. Never really took any pictures of the part about drilling the throttle hole and didn't notice I needed the outdent or dimple for the Heater until after it was painted.

Here's what I did if you can use your imagination.

For the throttle square hole, I used a 1/2 drill after locating the spot where it needed to be. After drilling, I hand filed the corners to make them square and test fitted the cable to make sure it fit like it was suppose too. Then, I purchased a long 1/2" carriage bolt where the square of the head fit through the new square hole. I put a large flat washer that just fit over the square of the carriage bolt, put the carriage bolt through the hole from the inside then installed another flat washer on the bolt on the firewall side. There was just enough of the square portion of the carriage bolt between the two washers that was in the sheet metal of the firewall. Then I screwed on a nut to hold it all together.

So what we have is:
a. Carriage Bolt
b. Flat Washer
c. Firewall Sheet Metal
d. Flat Washer
e. Nut.

Then we got out the MAPP gas torch and proceeded to heat the carriage bolt flat washers area until it was hot enough to bend the firewall sheet metal around the washers. Heat and bend until the correct angle was achieved without tearing the firewall sheet metal. Came out great and is very close to the OEM look.

Hard to see in the picture but the cable is installed in the modified hole.

As far as the heater unit mounting, it was one of the more difficult things to get aligned and drill the holes for the 4 mounting points onto the firewall. Careful measuring is all I can say to that! I think I actually used some clay that I stuck to the inside of the firewall and carefully mocked up the heater assembly where it would mount and pushed it against the firewall so the studs would leave a mark in the clay. Took the heater assembly out and used a transfer punch in the clay marks to mark the locations. I then used a very small drill to make pilot holes and checked the measurements distances of the holes so they matched that of the mounting studs of the heater assembly. It was time consuming to say the least but I got it done and maybe had to custom file the holes either a little bit so everything fit like OEM.

For the bump out or dimple, that I missed during mockup, I simply filed down the protruding shaft until it cleared the firewall.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #591
sevensandeights

Thanks Keith!

I've also read that the inside rear portion of the door openings is not cut out for the door strikers. Did you have to do anything special to make the strikers fit (I can't remember what doors you run)?

I have a rot free scrambler tub that needs a little work on a few of the body mounts (metal fatigue issues - no rust). However, my Jeep build will be a resto-mod with rocker and rear corner armor as well as a full cage. This will lead to quite a few holes in the OEM body so I don't really care about keeping it. I would rather it go to somebody for a nice restoration. In addition, the necessary sheet metal welding is beyond my current capabilities. From what I've seen, the MD Juan tubs have come a long way but are still far from perfect.

I think I can easily handle the little things they have yet to fix, offset the cost buy selling my OEM tub and "save" my tub by selling it to someone that wants to keep in original . Would you use an MD Juan tub if you had to start all over, especially considering the updates they have made?
sevensandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #592
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Yes, had to cut the sheet metal for the OEM strikers. I didn't run my steel doors like I thought I was because of the poor fitting drivers side opening that had gaps while the passenger side was fine. I swear, sometimes I think I got a retarded tub or something from MDJuan Company.

I would use another tub from them in a few years but not right now. I think I would wait another 5 before considering them again. The Repli-tub firewall to OEM hood is really bad to look at and I can only hope that they make a much better die with a crisper line in that area. Their firewall top edge looks as though it is hammered out by hand while the OEM hood line is a crisp straight edge without imperfections. That's what stops me from buying one again. The rest of the body lines are good because they are flat and easy to fix if an imperfection is present, but that firewall top edge...

Unread 11-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #593
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I hope there's still is a MD JUAN Company left after the hurricane that is hitting them pretty hard.

Are prayers are with all the people of the Philippines.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Unread 11-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #594
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Your right Keith was thinking about them this morning when watching the News prayers for all of you guys over there please check in Juan.
Unread 11-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #595
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

That's the first thing I thought of when I heard that on the news.
Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #596
GPERSCREEPERS99

First off I hope everyone at MD Juan is safe and I hope the impact to them is minimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Hammer,

I have no experience with them, but Aqualu Industries makes aluminum replacement tubs.

Unfortunately, they are ridiculously expensive.

Matt
Not necessarily true about the ridiculously expensive. For CJ8 Scramblers Aqualu Aluminum tubs are actually cheaper then the Steel Tubs. I bought one last Winter. Yes the CJ7 Aqualu tubs are more expensive. I know MD Juan and Rommel have really tried to improve things and I wish them lots of success because they are building the closest thing to a Factory correct tub and if I was building a stock factory correct Jeep I would've definitely gone that route with a MD Juan Tub.
12 Grand Cherokee Wife's Daily Driver
GPERSCREEPERS99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #597
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

I don't know where MD Juan's servers are located, but their website appears to be working fine, and has been revamped recently. I see Keith and his Jeep a few places on their site now. Hopefully the typhoon spared them.

If anyone checks it out tell me if you think I'm right or wrong, but it appears that the YJ tub w/script they picture there has the correct wheelhouses that the CJ-7 tub should have, and also that the stamped script on the tub side appears to be "Joop" that the mid-'84-'86 CJ-7 had in addition to all YJ's. Plus the rear corners are stamped for the taillight wiring, and fuel filler hole is cut on the driver's side. It looks like maybe, just maybe the mods for the door strikers are already done too. In a nutshell, it looks as though many of the modifications we are asking to be done to the CJ-7 tub are already done to the YJ tub.

Take a look at this picture and tell me if I'm drunk or if I'm right about what I say above.

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #598
RommelJuan
1980 CJ7 

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the concern.

The storm has passed and we are fine. We were not so affected as the Monster Storm hit outlying islands and not our island of Luzon. The reports of casualties are still coming in as many communication lines were cut.

Filipinos are very resilient, we will recover from this. And we will come back stronger. With God's grace.

From MDJuan, thank you again.

Rommel Juan
www.mdjuan.com.ph
RommelJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #599
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RommelJuan View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the concern.

The storm has passed and we are fine. We were not so affected as the Monster Storm hit outlying islands and not our island of Luzon. The reports of casualties are still coming in as many communication lines were cut.

Filipinos are very resilient, we will recover from this. And we will come back stronger. With God's grace.

From MDJuan, thank you again.

Rommel Juan
Glad to hear you are all ok Rommel!

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #600
RommelJuan
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCJ7Laredo View Post
I don't know where MD Juan's servers are located, but their website appears to be working fine, and has been revamped recently. I see Keith and his Jeep a few places on their site now. Hopefully the typhoon spared them.

If anyone checks it out tell me if you think I'm right or wrong, but it appears that the YJ tub w/script they picture there has the correct wheelhouses that the CJ-7 tub should have, and also that the stamped script on the tub side appears to be "Joop" that the mid-'84-'86 CJ-7 had in addition to all YJ's. Plus the rear corners are stamped for the taillight wiring, and fuel filler hole is cut on the driver's side. It looks like maybe, just maybe the mods for the door strikers are already done too. In a nutshell, it looks as though many of the modifications we are asking to be done to the CJ-7 tub are already done to the YJ tub.

Take a look at this picture and tell me if I'm drunk or if I'm right about what I say above.

Hi BlkCJ7Laredo,

You are not drunk.

You are absolutely right. We've worked hard on all improvements this year and thanks to the guys here in the forum we have corrected the issues of the CJ7 tub.

Now is the time to order!

Best,
Rommel
www.mdjuan.com.ph
RommelJuan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.