Tubs from the Philippines - Page 36 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tubs from the Philippines

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 07-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #526
sevensandeights

Any ETA for the newly redesigned tubs?

I am going to take my tub to a few local body shops tomorrow to see if it can be salvaged but if I can get a new MD Juan one within a year I might just go that route. My tub has almost zero rust (came from New Mexico) but does have some metal fatigue issues.

Oh yeah - I need a Scrambler tub by the way!

sevensandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #527
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevensandeights View Post

I am going to take my tub to a few local body shops tomorrow to see if it can be salvaged but if I can get a new MD Juan one within a year I might just go that route. My tub has almost zero rust (came from New Mexico) but does have some metal fatigue issues.

What kind of metal fatigue do you speak of? No offense to Rommel and the MD Juan team, but you may be better off repairing your rust-free OEM tub.. No matter what the reproductions aren't going to be 100% the same as the OEM tub because of so many variations over the years, but it looks like a lot of much needed improvements have been made or will be made soon. One other note, as of current at least, you cannot get the Scrambler tub with "Jeep" embossed in the side of it like you can with the CJ-5 and CJ-7 tubs.

Rommel, do you plan to add the "Jeep" stamping to the Scrambler tub?!?

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:44 AM   #528
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
I need a Scrambler tub by the way!
There a new Aluminum tub in South Jersey for sale. Its not mine but this guy has been arround a long time and has lots of Jeep stuff.
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/pts/3967626967.html
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #529
sevensandeights

Aluminum is tempting!

I bought my Scrambler in Columbus, OH. It used to be a desert tour vehicle and the 2 forward most body mounts were completely toast! No rot or rust, just major cracking/bending. The PO tried a ghetto booger weld repair. I have already drilled all the spot welds and plan to get new pieces from Classic. There are several other small cracks and holes that need filled and the floor boards probably should be replaced (again - no rot just some thin metal and cracks). I have looked at the one piece floor assembly that is sold all over online but not many people have used this product and those that did had some fitment issues.

Unread 08-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #530
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

That Tub is MINT. I just wish i had started with something that good
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #531
RommelJuan
1980 CJ7 

Quote:

new and improved tubs are available now Just call your friendly neighborhood MDJuan dealer
www.mdjuan.com.ph
RommelJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #532
sevensandeights

Are they completely "new and improved" with all the issues corrected as mentioned on this forum? I just read all 36 pages (as well as the entire thread on the CJ8) forum. Did you fix the cowl to line up better with an OEM hood? What about the throttle cable hole and battery tray mounts?

And . . . is the CJ8 tub stamped with JEEP?
Unread 08-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #533
GFox
1985 CJ7 

I just got my CJ7 Repli-tub from Willy's Overland. Jay is a good guy and the work they do appears to be very good. There are two things that jump out at me right off the bat though: The cowl is not smooth and rounded, more like Keith said- bent with wood or something. There are lots of little kinks. I've not mated the hood up with it yet, so we'll see. Also the edges of all the stampings are not straight at all. I hope to hide some of these with the channels for a Supertop from Bestop. Beginning to thing I should have kept my hard top and doors though I think I'll have less issues with soft doors aligning correctly. The door opening also have very wavy edges and will require lots of work. Also the side beneath the cowl on the passenger side above the Jeep logo is sunk in quite a bit- as if all the different panels were just pushed in to make them meet and welded. The line beneath the cowl needs to be cleaned up with a cutting wheel to make the nice line all the way across as well. Those are just the first things I noticed. The jeep logo looks great and the quality of assembly appears good but time will tell if everything fits correctly. I'll know more once we strip off the primer and get a coat of epoxy primer on it- then I'll bring it back to my garage and really be able to compare it to my original tub. As far as the condition of my original tub, the cowl is perfect, the floors are good and the firewall is good except where the clutch assembly mounts and the sides are pretty bad. I'm keeping it for now for reference but after that its scrap metal or I'd be willing to donate it as a reference model. I'll post more once I get them both side by side.
GFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #534
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Oh, and the line on the edge of the cowl where it mates with the hood is nowhere near straight. Very similar to what Keith documented in his photos. All in all, the cowl area seems to be the biggest area of disappointment.
Unread 08-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #535
RommelJuan
1980 CJ7 

hi GFox can you please tell me the serial number of your tub? It's on the firewall. Just for me to determine the time of production. Also thanks for the points that you mentioned. i will make sure it get's back to our engineering team
www.mdjuan.com.ph
Unread 08-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #536
GFox
1985 CJ7 

Rommel- I will get this information for you later in the week. Thank you for taking interest in everyone's comments here and trying to improve the quality of your products.
Unread 08-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #537
sevensandeights

Rommel - please answer my questions from above:

Is the firewall fixed in terms of the battery tray and throttle cable?
Does the CJ8 tub have "Jeep" stamped on in and if not, are there any plans to do so?
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #538
RommelJuan
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Rommel - please answer my questions from above:

Is the firewall fixed in terms of the battery tray and throttle cable?
Does the CJ8 tub have "Jeep" stamped on in and if not, are there any plans to do so?
sorry for the delay.

the Jeep mark is available.

the throttle holes will be implemented within the month
www.mdjuan.com.ph
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #539
sevensandeights

Thanks for the reply! Does the "Jeep" mark cost more? I don't see it listed as an option and the D&L Bensinger website.
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #540
chatham

after all the research I went with fiberglass, way less expensive then the steel tubs. I don't have to worry about anything lining up as I have to make all my own holes which is easy to do and if its wrong easier to fix and repair then steel. laying in new glass wont warp the body like welding will. It is round and straight where it needs to be round and straight. It wont ever rust, easy to repair, lighter, etc. etc. with the $3000 I saved over steel I can spend that on upgrading and improving my ride or a nice trip to Cabo. for me the decision was easy in so many ways and I like my money in my pocket.
chatham is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.