Tubs from the Philippines - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tubs from the Philippines

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #16
teh603
1963 CJ5 

So here's a question. Why are the CJ-5 and 6 tubs so much more expensive than those for the 2A and 3? I'm seeing almost a thousand dollars' price difference on my end.

Edit: Ok, here's a second. Are you likely to ever start making grilles?

teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
So here's a question. Why are the CJ-5 and 6 tubs so much more expensive than those for the 2A and 3? I'm seeing almost a thousand dollars' price difference on my end.

Edit: Ok, here's a second. Are you likely to ever start making grilles?
One thing to keep in mind: Anything that is stamped "Willys" or "Jeep" and the grille design are trademarks and must be licensed by Chrysler. That's why you see the $500-$1000 premium price increase on the stamped tubs. At the manufacturing level it probably only costs them about $5 to stamp them.

On the stamping note.. To be entirely correct, all YJ tubs and CJ tubs used 1984-86 were stamped "Joop" and not "Jeep"

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #18
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCJ7Laredo View Post
One thing to keep in mind: Anything that is stamped "Willys" or "Jeep" and the grille design are trademarks and must be licensed by Chrysler. That's why you see the $500-$1000 premium price increase on the stamped tubs. At the manufacturing level it probably only costs them about $5 to stamp them.
I'm aware of that. The difference seems to be about $500 or so, and I'm not all that concerned about having "JEEP" on the tux-in-a-barn. What I don't understand is the extra $1000 for just being a CJ-5. The CJ-3B tub still costs about the same as a low-hood.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #19
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I'm aware of that. The difference seems to be about $500 or so, and I'm not all that concerned about having "JEEP" on the tux-in-a-barn. What I don't understand is the extra $1000 for just being a CJ-5. The CJ-3B tub still costs about the same as a low-hood.
The CJ-5 tub is much more complex than a CJ-3B tub and that means more cost to manufacture.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #20
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

I'm going to be really upset if MD Juan actually takes everything we're telling them into account and starts making a top notch tub after all the work this one that I have is going to take to get ready. It's still worth it more to me than the even higher amount of work the YJ tub would have taken to be ready and still turn around and rust on me in a year or two.

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #21
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

That was always in the back of my mind when doing all the modifications.... NO RUST ANYWHERE!

Unread 02-20-2013, 04:44 AM   #22
momo2
1980 CJ7 

I just got all the neceassary modifactions done on my repli-tub, all in all it took about 40 hours to get everything right. Most of the issues have already been documented by Keith, especially the fabriaction of a new tail end splash guard consumes a lot of time and work. But one of the most annoying things when it comes to fitment ist that the shape of the cowl section doesn't match the shape of oem hood. There is a difference of about 0,5 Centimeters (sorry, i'm from Europe). It looks quite ugly and cannot really be corrected in an easy way, apart maybe form putting on loads of bondo. I think Keith has a picture of that in his restoration thread.

I also have a question about the black primer on your tub. My paint shop says it could be some form of e-coating already. The Morris 4x4 website (that's a big US-Dealer) states that you have a new primer formula and use a five stage process of rinse and dip baths, so maybe it's really e-coating. Also i tried to rub off the primer with laquer thinner and i didn't went off which is also an indiaction for e-coating, so maybe you can clarify on that. Have to say that i got my tub only four months ago, so maybe this was not true for older tubs from MD Juan

Last edited by momo2; 02-20-2013 at 05:12 AM..
momo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 04:52 AM   #23
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Cowl section of the Repli-Tub where the front edge is suppose to match the contours of the OEM Jeep hood is without a doubt one of the worst features that is an eyesore to look at.

The wavy line of the Repli-Tub, which I think is hand formed on a block of wood or something, compared to the straight crisp line of the OEM hood.

Unread 02-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #24
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Keith- I heard the after-market tub is much thinner than the stock tub. Is this true?
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #25
momo2
1980 CJ7 

Not true, sheet metal has the same thickness
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #26
Redmanchew

1982 CJ7 

quick thanks to every contributing positive feedback that was asked for and especially to Keith for his detailed work on this and MDJuan for looking for a way to improve their product.

1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #27
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo2 View Post
I just got all the necessary modifications done on my repli-tub, all in all it took about 40 hours to get everything right. Most of the issues have already been documented by Keith, especially the fabrication of a new tail end splash guard consumes a lot of time and work. But one of the most annoying things when it comes to fitment is that the shape of the cowl section doesn't match the shape of oem hood. There is a difference of about 0,5 Centimeters (sorry, i'm from Europe). It looks quite ugly and cannot really be corrected in an easy way, apart maybe form putting on loads of bondo. I think Keith has a picture of that in his restoration thread.

I also have a question about the black primer on your tub. My paint shop says it could be some form of e-coating already. The Morris 4x4 website (that's a big US-Dealer) states that you have a new primer formula and use a five stage process of rinse and dip baths, so maybe it's really e-coating. Also i tried to rub off the primer with lacquer thinner and i didn't went off which is also an indication for e-coating, so maybe you can clarify on that. Have to say that i got my tub only four months ago, so maybe this was not true for older tubs from MD Juan
Pictures posted of the mismatch of the OEM Hood-to-Cowl section.

I would not trust that so called E-coating because it is NOT. It is merely a cheap primer that is used to protect the body from salt water contamination from shipment across the great Pacific Ocean to here. It easily came off with a blow gun and plastic media blasting. E-coating is an expensive process and one must have special equipment and chemicals to apply. E-coating does not come off so easily even with sandblasting. I would compare it to good powder coating which is also difficult to remove.

Took the media blaster about 15min to remove every trace of the black primer applied by MD Juan Company. Came off very easy and if you failed to remove it, you are going to have your finish coat coming of in big chunks of paint peelings.

Unread 02-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #28
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
Keith- I heard the after-market tub is much thinner than the stock tub. Is this true?
Definitely not true. All steel is the same gauge thickness as the factory steel.

Heavier at the support structures like OEM and body panels are also the same 18 gauge thickness.

Unread 02-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #29
momo2
1980 CJ7 

Maybe MD Juan could clarify on the e-coating/primer. I think Keith had one of the earliest tubs and mine was build not long ago. Also mine looked quite tough when it came to paint, so maybe something has changed
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #30
miami-boy
1985 CJ7 

Hi people,
I also have a new body and can join with Keith only concerning the missing holes for the heater housing. Even the holes in the windshield frame are not a perfect fit. The cutout for the gearbox is for the "old" gearbox versions, so cut too small. it lacks the angle for the tailgate ropes (I do not at the moment as they call themselves)
It lacks the "guards" in the wheel arch, rear left and right. The cutout for the rear lights cable ebendso missing the cut for the tank neck.
Then I have the feeling the body is not right, "square" I hope you understand what I mean. I had problems at least in the body properly to fit the body mounts / to set the framework and then to put the screws.
It lacks the plates for the electrical wiring on the driver side.
The holes for the roll bar also missing .... Now everything is not so bad but it obviously attracts still lots of rework to the new body .... we have here in Germany some people it deters so to buy the body!
I keep you posted too!
Greetings from cold Germany
miami-boy
miami-boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.