Tubes, CJ AMC 20 vs FSJ AMC 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tubes, CJ AMC 20 vs FSJ AMC 20

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Sundowners
1985 CJ7 

Tubes, CJ AMC 20 vs FSJ AMC 20

Does anyone know the actual size of the axle tubes that Jeep used on the FSJ AMC 20? I have heard that they are bigger than the CJ AMC 20 but I could not find any actual numbers? I'm looking for the dia and wall thickness of the tubes of the FSJ AMC 20 and the CJ AMC 20 so I can compare the two.

Thanks,
Brian

Sundowners is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

Not sure of the diameter but I believe they are the same diameter just that the FSJ is a thicker wall.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
tahoe wheelers

Dont know the diameters either, but the AMC 20 FSJ comes with factory one piece axles and will also be a 6 lug bolt pattern.
1985 cj 7. 360 V8, 35X12.50 BFG's sitting on Crager 15X8 rims, summer brothers axle rear, Yukon axles up front, lock rite lockers front and rear, 5" of lift, body armor, six point roll cage, 8000lb warn winch, 4.56 yukon gears front and rear, t-18, dana 300. And much more on the way.

www.therockgods.com
www.reno4x4.com
tahoe wheelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Sundowners
1985 CJ7 

Thanks guys, It would make more sense that they were the same OD just different walls, That way they (AMC) only has to have one pumpkin casting.

B
Unread 10-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

They aren't the same OD. The FSJ 20 has the same OD as the FSJ D44. The FSJ housing also has the tubes pressed-in farther. I believe I still have one of each housing and both have been gutted, so I may be able to get them both over to the chop saw at the shop to get some real numbers.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Sundowners
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
They aren't the same OD. The FSJ 20 has the same OD as the FSJ D44. The FSJ housing also has the tubes pressed-in farther. I believe I still have one of each housing and both have been gutted, so I may be able to get them both over to the chop saw at the shop to get some real numbers.
Thanks PavementPounder, Always a big help!

Thanks,
B
Unread 11-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
sdozzi
1979 CJ7 

The FSJ AMC 20 has a diameter of 2.75" it is the same as the model 44 on a FSJ. The U bolts from a CJ will not work on the FSJ axle. Can't get the wall thickness but I do know the axle shafts are different. If you try to put CJ axles in the FSJ AMC 20 you need different size bearings. Also the bolt pattern that holdes the backing plate on are different. It is a stronger axle then the stock CJ.
sdozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdozzi View Post
The FSJ AMC 20 has a diameter of 2.75" it is the same as the model 44 on a FSJ.
Wish I had seen this thread earlier. This number ^^^^^ is correct. The CJ version is 2-5/8".
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.