Tub removed..now what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tub removed..now what?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 02-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
usmarine3521
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tub removed..now what?

Alrighty. I've got the tub removed off my 84 cj7. I am planning on a restore but with a budget. I want to re use anything I can, just want to make it look better and cleaner. I'm looking at my frame and it's not rusted as bad as i expected. It looks to be surface rust mostly.

Attachment 354997

image-967380952.jpg

I was planning on taking a wire wheel to the frame and take off all of this dirt and rust. After that I wanted to prep it and use Chassis Saver.

Next I have been looking at the body mounts and the welds seem to have quite a bit of rust. It also seems to be surface rust but I am unsure. Should I grind them off, clean the area, and re-weld it on?

image-4224918544.jpg

image-1055438810.jpg

Another question I have is I noticed a lot of my fuel lines are rubber hoses. From the tank to the electric pump and even around the carb. What can I do and use to eliminate the rubber hoses?

image-3678419873.jpg

image-886420268.jpg

Basically am I going the right route with the frame and what other things should I be looking at while I have the frame exposed?

usmarine3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Well I would have the frame blastred or dipped if at all possible, quicker and better and it will tell you EXACTLY what you have to work with. I have seen too many people get hundreds or thousands into a project to find out it is non-repairable in the end and all that money is lost. There apears to be more than surface from the pictures, but still looks pretty good and definitely repairable. For instance the body mount hole in the first picture is rusted out, it should look more like the one in the second picture. Once completely clean, I would coat it with POR 15 and then repair as needed and recoat the repaired areas. The factory welds I would simply clean up, if I had a concern I would add additional welded as I felt was needed.

As for the fuel system, the rubber on top of the tank looks factory the other is obviously PO engineering and although serviceable I would clean it up while you have easy access and use steel lines with the correct fittings where ever possible and steel braided if I felt I needed the flexibility. I usually bend my own out of long lengths of tubing. I will admit to doing work like what you have in a pinch and then never going back to fix it.

I believe you are on the right track, tearing it down to it's roots, accessing what you have, asking questions and making repairs.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
usmarine3521
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346
Well I would have the frame blastred or dipped if at all possible, quicker and better and it will tell you EXACTLY what you have to work with. I have seen too many people get hundreds or thousands into a project to find out it is non-repairable in the end and all that money is lost. There apears to be more than surface from the pictures, but still looks pretty good and definitely repairable. For instance the body mount hole in the first picture is rusted out, it should look more like the one in the second picture. Once completely clean, I would coat it with POR 15 and then repair as needed and recoat the repaired areas. The factory welds I would simply clean up, if I had a concern I would add additional welded as I felt was needed.

As for the fuel system, the rubber on top of the tank looks factory the other is obviously PO engineering and although serviceable I would clean it up while you have easy access and use steel lines with the correct fittings where ever possible and steel braided if I felt I needed the flexibility. I usually bend my own out of long lengths of tubing. I will admit to doing work like what you have in a pinch and then never going back to fix it.

I believe you are on the right track, tearing it down to it's roots, accessing what you have, asking questions and making repairs.
Thank you for your response. I have thought about getting it dipped, only problem is the closest place I can find is 4 hrs away from me. I don't have the transportation to get it there. So what can I do instead of dipping it, stick to cleaning the frame up as best I can and use POR-15 or something of that nature?
Unread 02-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
usmarine3521
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Also. If i want to replace all my
Body mounts, is there anywhere to buy new ones that just weld back on?
Unread 02-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

If you're looking to save money, then you're going to have to put a lot of your own time in to the project. I would hit the whole frame with a twisted steel wire wheel. That should help you determine the extent of the rust damage, and then you'll know if anything needs to be repaired before painting.

One neat thing is to coat the inside of the frame with paint to help resist internal rusting. If you're planning on taking the frame totally off, then you could paint the inside by pouring in some paint and moving the frame around to work the paint all along the inside surfaces.
Unread 02-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

I'm w/mopar346 100%. Rent a U-haul for the day, steal a picup truck. Had mine blasted and p-coated for $600, but that's in the sticks of Pa. I know you have stricter enviro laws.
The hard part for you, is finding a closer sandblaster. See who makes dirt track car frames, aerospace manu-fabbers, race engine shops etc. Anybody that does powdercoating has/knows a sandblaster. Make lots of calls, knock on doors...Good Luck!
Unread 02-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

If blasting or dipping is not an option, then wire wheel is the wayu to go, but it is a lot of work to do to any real effect. But if that's what you got it will work. I believe you can buy the mounts that weld on but some are part of the frame and will have to be repaired with plate steel, the trick will be cutting back to good metal and centering it properly. Painting the inside is a great idea and to roll the paint in is the best way, it will waste some but it will get into every nook and cranny that way. You will also need to use a paint that will stick to rust, again like POR15, since you aren't gonna be able to clean inside the frame.

First order of business though is to strip it down and clean it and make sure of what you have and what is in need of repair. Once that is done the rest will be down hill and rewarding.

Good luck.
Unread 02-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmarine3521 View Post
Also. If i want to replace all my
Body mounts, is there anywhere to buy new ones that just weld back on?
Yes, they sell replacement mounts that weld on. But if it is just the top (hole) a lot of guys will just cut it out and weld in a patch and drill new hole. You can also replace that rear crossmember.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.