Truck Shocks on a Jeep CJ7? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Truck Shocks on a Jeep CJ7?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 11-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
Mud_Gypsy86
1986 CJ7 

Truck Shocks on a Jeep CJ7?

Is anyone running/ has anyone ever run truck shocks on their rig? If so, how do/did they ride?

I am currently looking for long travel shocks to put on my soa CJ7, but don't really want to pay the premium price for top tier brand name shocks. I have been looking through the Monroe catalog and have found some shocks (part # 911268) that may be the right length I need, but they are made for Ford F250/F350 trucks. Monroe says that each shock is custom valved for the intended application, and I would imagine that these trucks have a curb weight of about twice of what my Jeep has (Not to mention a payload capacity several magnitudes higher). That being said, I am afraid that these shocks may be much too stiff to make the discounted price worth it. However, I really like the option of a shock with acceleration sensitive damping technology. Hopefully someone out there can give me some advice based off of real world experience.

Mud_Gypsy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

well, i ran 10 ply truck tires on my little M170 and also on a Geo Tracker for a number of years. i just kept them aired to about 25psi and with the stiff sidewalls, they did fine in the ride department. i don't think truck shocks would be any different really. just make sure not only the length (both collapsed and extended) is correct, but also the mounting has the correct diameter bolt holes. i sure wouldn't hesitate to use them if it saved me that much money.
Unread 11-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Softest shock you can find.
Elliptical springs need virtually no dampening.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Mud_Gypsy86
1986 CJ7 

Thanks guys. I opted not to go with truck shocks after all, although I'm sure that the universal shocks I went with (Rancho RS5012 front and RS5010 rear) are probably built with trucks in mind anyways.
Mud_Gypsy86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.