Trapshooter's BDS 2.5" Suspension Install Thread - Photo Heavy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Trapshooter's BDS 2.5" Suspension Install Thread - Photo Heavy

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Trapshooter's BDS 2.5" Suspension Install Thread - Photo Heavy

Started the process of installing the new BDS suspension into my CJ7.

Here's the patient

Here's the kit

I also ordered some Rancho bump stops

Got the CJ up on the jack stands and ensured the thing wouldn't come down and whack me!!

After removing the front tires, the first order of business was to pull the old shocks.

I already had the sway bar tied up from a wheelin trip last weekend

Next was to remove the U-bolts

I think I got all the goody out of these poor guys

Notice in this picture, one U-bolt is larger than the other. The large U-bolt actually fits over the diff housing on the front right hand side. There's only one this size, all the others are smaller.

I pulled the front shackles, which are being replaced with shorter units, and pulled the rear spring attach bolts and removed the old front springs.

Here's a shot with the new and old springs laying side by side.

I installed the shorter shackles onto their hangers with new bushings. Lubed and installed the new bushings in the new springs and installed the new springs after cleaning and transfering the axle wedges.

I had to use the floor jack to lift and realign the pinon angle of the front axle. The weight of the diff cause the axle to retote down once the old springs where removed.

Once I had the axle at the correct angle and height I was able to install the front bolts with some grunting and groaning on my part.

Currently I am into the job about 3 - 3 1/2 hours. Next will be to install the new U-Bolts and the bump stops. I hope to have the installed completed by tomorrow. Will post more pics of the install tomorrow night or Sunday.

'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
83vert
1982 CJ7 

nice, thanks for the pics
Unread 11-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

looking good so far! I've heard nothing but good things about BDS
Unread 11-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Can't tell you how cool this thread is. I will be watching it like a hawk!! If I were closer, I would offer to come over and help! Good luck Trap!!

Question: Any issue with the front spring eye and the shackle? I am struggling with choosing the right shackles.

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
Question: Any issue with the front spring eye and the shackle? I am struggling with choosing the right shackles.
In answer to your question, no, they matched right up.

I was limited in my budget for this project. I am using a set of used 4 inch Confer shackles I found at a garage sale a couple of years ago. The set I removed where Confer 6 inchers.

In the future I plan install a set of Currie 4 inch shackles with the tow bar feature for the front set.

Fighting a cold this morning but need to get my rig back together. Off to work I go.....
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Unread 11-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

The Front is Compelte - Sort off...

Got back to it somewhat late today, came down with a nasty head cold. I wasn't going to let it stop me.

Got all the U-bolts in for the front. They hang down a little more than I like but we'll go with it for now.

Here's a shot of the one U-Bolt that is larger than the rest

Installed the new shocks and bump stops and started to grow concerned that the new stops are to large.

Decided to leave the stops on and wait until the front end was on the ground

Sure looks like they are to big. Open to any feedback here, I am thinking I don't have enough clearance and I will be into them all the time. They are Rancho 3" stops. They are 5 1/2" overall.

I decided to press forward and made sure I have adequate clearance with the steering all the way to the stops

All told I had about 6 to 6 1/2 hours to complete the front.

Now on to the back.

Got the CJ up on the stands and the tires off

Ended up doing something different with the rear diff. Took a bottle jack and a piece of hardwood to hold the pinion angle.

The only unexpected item I ran across was with the right rear shackle. The PO must of either had the fuel tank out or installed the shackle on the hanger before the hanger was installed. There was insufficient clearance to remove the upper shackle bolt.

Here is the rear suspension removed and the new springs for comparison

I am about 2 to 2 1/2 hours into the rear suspension. Lost about 2 hours messing with my old Snap On floor jack, its going in for repair, plus this head cold I have was kicking my A**. Do one thing, lay on the floor, do something else lay on the floor some more.

Kind of like my almost 15 year old dog here.............

Just need to clean a few things, then I will be able to assemble the rear suspension.

More tomorrow......

Unread 11-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
benullman
1981 CJ7 

looking at the spring comparison it looks like you didnt gain anything? explanation?

Ben
benullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
looking at the spring comparison it looks like you didnt gain anything? explanation?

Ben
i would imagine the new ones are much stiffer
'79 CJ7 stock, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I used Marvel once before I took my Jeep out on the trails. I didn't get stuck all weekend so I guess it works.
SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:

Ben
What are you expecting to see? My 4" lift compared to stock don't look dramatically different.

The springs install in the same location so they aren't going to be longer. It's more about how the leafs are made that give the lift.
Unread 11-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Quote:

Ben
I would assume that if he was keeping the same pinion angle that the old lift is 2.5 inches as well?
Unread 11-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamillyCJ7 View Post
What are you expecting to see? My 4" lift compared to stock don't look dramatically different.

The springs install in the same location so they aren't going to be longer. It's more about how the leafs are made that give the lift.
well, he didnt show a completed front pic. but it didnt look like very much of a gain. Maybe its to late for me!

Nice intall though!

Ben
benullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
well, he didnt show a completed front pic. but it didnt look like very much of a gain. Maybe its to late for me!

Nice intall though!

Ben
His lift kit is a 2.5" lift, it's not a dramatic amount of lift. Once he gets it done and posts a picture of before and after you'll notice the difference.
Unread 11-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

I think he may be upgrading to better quality springs and perhaps a better overall ride. At least, that is what I am hoping the BDS will deliver! :-)

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
Unread 11-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #14
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
I think he may be upgrading to better quality springs and perhaps a better overall ride. At least, that is what I am hoping the BDS will deliver! :-)
BDS is supposed to be a big improvement in ride quality over stock which is horrible. They are supposed to flex like crazy too!
Unread 11-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #15
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamillyCJ7 View Post
BDS is supposed to be a big improvement in ride quality over stock which is horrible. They are supposed to flex like crazy too!
I am very excited about this lift. Seems like the time spent waiting for the Black Diamond will not be a waste after all!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.